DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Chester County, Pa

Am I to understand that the DJI FLY app prevents me from flying in airport authorization zones and restricted zones but not TFRs as indicated on the map? Because it would seem so. I’d also add that the FAA has the ability to ground drones electronically. I know people who have experienced this firsthand. Why not do it in the whole TFR? I’m certainly not looking to violate any rules.
The DJI Fly app is not the source for clearance to fly in any TFR. There is a major difference between a TFR and controlled airspace around an airport. DJI is not even close on controlled airspace in most instances for the USA. For controlled airspace try using Aloft app or its lesser cousin B4UFLY app.

This link 1/6835 NOTAM Details will take you to a VIP TFR that is in place starting today. It is much smaller being 5NM for the inner radius and 10NM for the outer radius. Under the Operating Restrictions and Requirements note that NO UAS operations are allowed. Section A2 gives contact information for flight authorization and the DJI Fly app is not listed. Be sure to read Section C and Section D carefully.

The normal 30NM radius VIP TFR is no less restrictive than this smaller one. The next time POTUS is in your area go to this site Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's and select the VIP TFR around Wilmington, DE and read the Operating Restrictions and Requirements paying special attention to UAS operations.

Am I to understand that the DJI FLY app prevents me from flying in airport authorization zones and restricted zones but not TFRs as indicated on the map? Because it would seem so. I’d also add that the FAA has the ability to ground drones electronically. I know people who have experienced this firsthand. Why not do it in the whole TFR? I’m certainly not looking to violate any rules.

DJI and FAA are two entirely different and not interconnected things.

DJI's GEO Fencing is an attempt to "mimic" FAA restrictions but a very POOR and INACCURATE attempt. Also, if you don't have an active Internet Connection and all settings correct, you may or may NOT be getting the latest GEO FENCING information for the area you're operating in. Remember that Airport Restrictions are uploaded during firmware updates and other updates but information like TFR etc (which can literally pop up in a moments notice in Emergency situations) come from having an Internet Connection to your Display Device/Radio Control.

Here's how you should prepare for your flights:

A) Check the FAA's website for any Flight Restrictions Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's
B) Check to see if there are any DJI restrictions on the app of your choice (Fly, DJI Go etc)

If both are clear you should be able to fly. If the FAA has any type of restrictions in place you can bet your bottom dollar UAS/Drone operations are totally grounded.

Here's an exert from the TFR quoted by DM above (BOLD applied by me for emphasis):

B. AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PERMITTED WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN 5 NM RADIUS AND 10 NM RADIUS, PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET: 1) BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR FILED VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY ATC. 2) REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC. 3) FLIGHTS WITHIN THIS AREA ARE FOR INGRESS, EGRESS AND TRANSIT ONLY. NO LOITERING. 4) ALL AIRCRAFT DEPARTING FROM PRIVATE AIRPORTS/AIR FIELDS MUST BE ON A HEADING AWAY FROM THE CENTER OF THE P-40 / R-4009 AIRSPACE.
C. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS, AND COMMERCIAL CARGO CARRIER OPERATIONS THAT FAIL TO MEET OR EXCEED THE TSA DOMESTIC SECURITY INSPECTION PROGRAM STANDARDS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.
D. UAS OPERATORS WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 10 U.S.C. SECTION 130I AND 6 U.S.C. SECTION 124N, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS) OR THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FACILITIES, OR ASSETS.

As you can see from the wording above this isn't a small/insignificant matter and it could result in some loss of property and hefty fines/charges and possible jail time. As UAS Operators/Pilots if we are we expected to know the rules of the airspace we are operating in and to abide by them to a "T".

If you have not already I suggest you take the TRUST ASAP as it is a requirement for Recreational Operations and it might help shed some light on this process some. To be perfectly honest, I highly suggest at least going through the study process of Part 107 so you're even more familiar with UAS Regulations and how to operate within them in the National Airspace System. I feel like Part 107 is the bare MIN we should be required to have to fly in the NAS :)

Reactions: okw and Ty Pilot
To answer @DoomMeister 's original question and as a general PSA, here is what the FAA says about permission to fly in a TFR:

How can I get permission to fly during a TFR?​

TFRs include details about who may get approval to fly in them. Typically, only public safety agencies, first responders and other organizations such as media may be eligible for approval. To fly in a TFR, drone pilots must apply through the FAA's expedited approval process known as the Special Governmental Interest (SGI) process.

To apply for an authorization through the SGI process you must:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, if you're a recreational flyer, you're not ever going to get permission to fly inside of any part of an active TFR.

Even if you're 107, unless you are working with some agency that can jump through all the hoops, you're not allowed either.

Great info @Ty Pilot

We have used the SGI a few times here locally. It has been an easy process that only requires a few hoops and signatures and we're good to go but like you said, outside of Emergency Services/Public Safety you're not going to get approval for UAS operations in a TFR.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+