DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Chester County, Pa

Nowhere2fly

Reactions
Hi,

Just bought a DJI Mini 2. After purchasing it I didn't realize how many places around me (West Chester) are prohibited to fly your drone. No township parks, no preservers, I already knew about state parks. Where does everyone fly who is from Chester County, Pa?

Looking forward to getting some insight on where everyone legally fly's.

Thanks!

Reactions: FASTFJR
Welcome! Research the site because it's been endlessly discussed (not specifically your county but in general).
  • State and local governments can't issue no fly zones (with rare exceptions) but they can control from where you take off, land and control the drone;
  • Find private property and take off from there;
  • You may need to educate local authorities;
  • Take the TRUST test online - it's insanely, laughably easy;
  • It's under the weight limit so you don't need to register your drone.
Personal advice, don't worry so much about what they say you can't do, there are always workarounds. Use good judgment. Don't buzz the tower of the local airport but also don't hesitate to fly over a nature trail. In the end, be reasonably safe but fly where you want, record what you want and enjoy yourself. There will always be people in town (and here) who will freak out over the slightest violation, ignore them and have fun.

Last edited:
Try Chadds Ford.
Brandywine Battle field is a good place to fly, even the town itself.
Brandywine museum and the Brandywine creek behind.
Down the road a piece is Kennett Square, history abounds.

Make sure you’re checking for TFR’s as well. When Biden spends the weekend at home in Wilmington, there will be a temporary flight restriction with a 28nm radius. My wife and I were out in Lancaster county, and I was gonna launch, but fortunately checked. We were still inside the TFR. It eats up a lot of real estate whenever it’s active.

Make sure you’re checking for TFR’s as well. When Biden spends the weekend at home in Wilmington, there will be a temporary flight restriction with a 28nm radius. My wife and I were out in Lancaster county, and I was gonna launch, but fortunately checked. We were still inside the TFR. It eats up a lot of real estate whenever it’s active.
At the distance we are the temporary flight restriction is just like an extra caution. I fly within it all the time. You just have to get it unlocked.

Hi,

Just bought a DJI Mini 2. After purchasing it I didn't realize how many places around me (West Chester) are prohibited to fly your drone. No township parks, no preservers, I already knew about state parks. Where does everyone fly who is from Chester County, Pa?

Thanks!
I’m in Parkesburg. There aren’t too many places that are totally restricted. I think what you’re talking about is East Whiteland Township that prohibits drones in their parks. Obviously there is the state park issue. As for the nature preserves, I have not run into that problem. Assuming there are no flight restrictions in the fly app, I check the signage and go from there. The state park thing is absolutely ridiculous where they limit to six state parks out of like the 50 that we have. None of them are anywhere close to us. You could still stand just outside the park though. Nothing they can do to prevent that.

I am literally on my way home from Shadyside Park as we speak. I didn’t see anything telling me I couldn’t fly drones. The biggest issue I think you’re going to run into is the Brandywine regional airport and the Chester county airport. Their enhanced warning zones and altitude zones because of the flight path take up a big chunk of space. Maybe we will meet up sometime. I’m on an Air 2S.

Reactions: fotojack
As of this date, 11/4/21, looks like a yellow caution is up and in 18 hours (time now 9pm ET) there will be a TFR.
Looks like the big shot is coming to lower Delaware and like said, it encompasses a wide area.
There goes flying for the weekend.
Zzzzzzzzzz

As of this date, 11/4/21, looks like a yellow caution is up and in 18 hours (time now 9pm ET) there will be a TFR.
Looks like the big shot is coming to lower Delaware and like said, it encompasses a wide area.
There goes flying for the weekend.
Zzzzzzzzzz
It really shouldn’t be a problem. Like I said I fly in the TFR all the time.

In checking, the TFR is just south of Dover, DE. and extends to lower DE. and parts of MD.
Happy flights.

Hi,

Thanks!
Come to MONTCO Lol

I have some great flying around me, Philly also

FASTFJR, I feel your pain, kinda frustrating at times.
I was from the W. Chester area, although not now, you might want to look into flying at the Media reservoir, a nice area.
Have you tried the Chadds Ford area, (not far from you south) the Brandywine battle field, and don't forget the Brandywine creek, and its surrounding areas.
Should be a beauty this time of the year with the trees changing.
Good luck Sir.

Hi,

Thanks!
Hi, I also live in Chester County in Chadds Ford, Pa. I’m in the same boat of trying to find a good place to fly my new drone. Can anyone help me by sharing some places that you have found to be good places to fly?? Please let me know. Thanks Marty

At the distance we are the temporary flight restriction is just like an extra caution. I fly within it all the time. You just have to get it unlocked.
Can you explain how to get the TFR unlocked as I am sure there are a lot of folks that would like to know how to accomplish that?

Can you explain how to get the TFR unlocked as I am sure there are a lot of folks that would like to know how to accomplish that?
I use the smart controller but I imagine you can do the same with the app. You just fill the check boxes for the authorization zone and click unlock. It’s just an authorization zone, not a restricted zone.

I use the smart controller but I imagine you can do the same with the app. You just fill the check boxes for the authorization zone and click unlock. It’s just an authorization zone, not a restricted zone.
Do you realize that DJI has NO authority to authorize flight inside of any TFR that grounds drones?

The only way to get clearance for flight in a TFR is to contact the entity that requested the TFR (not the FAA unless they initiated it). That entity is usually listed in the preamble of the NOTAM for the TFR.

Last edited:
Do you realize that DJI has NO authority to authorize flight inside of any TFR that grounds drones?

The only way to get clearance for flight in a TFR is to contact the entity that requested the TFR (not the FAA unless they initiated it). That entity is usually listed in the preamble of the NOTAM for the TFR.
The TFR around Wilmington apparently doesn’t ground drones, at least where I am. It might closer to the center. I am at the outskirts of it.

It really shouldn’t be a problem. Like I said I fly in the TFR all the time.
How are you getting permission from DHS to fly within their TFR?

You do realize that unlocking the zone in DJI has absolutely NO relevance on Federal Regulations? That's like your auto maker giving you permission to run red lights etc. One has NOTHING to do with the other.

Each and every flight inside a TFR is a Federal violation unless you have explicit approval from the Agency Having Jurisdiction or the Agency Requesting the TFR. Nothing else is even remotely acceptable. I highly suggest you CEASE any and all flights even remotely from inside any TFR immediately if that is indeed the case.

The TFR around Wilmington apparently doesn’t ground drones, at least where I am. It might closer to the center. I am at the outskirts of it.
TFR's apply to ALL AIRCRAFT.

I have as yet to see a VIP (Presidential) TFR that allowed drone flight inside either ring. If you are in it you are grounded without clearance from DOD, DHS, or SS.

Am I to understand that the DJI FLY app prevents me from flying in airport authorization zones and restricted zones but not TFRs as indicated on the map? Because it would seem so. I’d also add that the FAA has the ability to ground drones electronically. I know people who have experienced this firsthand. Why not do it in the whole TFR? I’m certainly not looking to violate any rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes