DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good news on flying drones in National Parks in Thailand

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I think it’s amazing, good news, and it seems to have happened midway through 2023. The Thai government has allowed you to fly a drone in National Parks, you do, however, have to have documentation from the two main organisations and a copy of your passport. That is five paged documents that I keep hard copies with me all the time I am flying and especially when I know I am going to a national park. You can do this yourself, but it can be long and laborious working through Thai government offices, or you can get an agent to do it for you. You can find them online easily. But the most pleasantly surprising change for me is that when you buy a drone in Thailand, I bought mine in Big Camera, Patong, they offer, for a small fee 1,500 baht, to organise the license for you. However, the bad news is that you if you have an already purchased drone from outside of Thailand, there is some sort of fine before you get a license. I’m not clear on this so don’t quote me on it but it was from the mouth of an expert. Please find an expert and have them explain this better than I can, because I’m not 100% sure on It. What I do know, is that once you have a license for your Thai purchased drone the “boys in brown” or the offices of the National Parks do not check the actual details of the drone model. So, I take three with me, Mini 4 Pro, Air 2S and the Avata. But as usual I do not fly near people; I don’t feel comfortable in Thailand. In Western Australia, where I used to live, I do not feel like that. I am just so happy I can legally fly in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. I have posted some footage already in Photo and Video Showcase and have much more to come.Sorry for the long post but I do think It is now worth coming for a holiday just to do fly free in beautiful, Thailand. I will post much more as I become more familiar and definite about the recent changes. I am sure there are more flyers with more knowledge than I, If you do find them please post here. Maybe it would be good to arrange sections on the latest law/custom of flying in various countries/states? I will post info as I become for assured of the changes in the law/custom for those who want to know.

Thats fantastic news and may bring more focus to other national parks , Very interesting .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, an looking forward to national parks giving the GO !

Even better news for flying drones in Thailand while on holiday.

It seems that you can fly your drone without any registration for 30 days. This is not a qoute from a government agency but a respected company. They will process your licence after 30 days and give you info on how to do it yourself.
Equally good news is that most companies will process your licence for around 1,500 Thai Baht which is very cheap.
"You must register with NBTC within 30 days of entering Thailand or purchasing a drone in Thailand even if you do not fly it."
NBTC Thailand Drone Registration – FEIC (Thailand) Limited.

Enjoy :)

Reactions: Torque
So I'm about to visit Thailand for the first time in about 2 weeks. Previous trip canceled due to the pandemic.

After reading about the hoops you have to jump through, I wasn't going to bother trying to fly. In fact for that previous trip, I had gone partly through the application process but I hit a lot of snags IIRC.

I'm going to be in Thailand for 11 full days. The first 4 nights will be in Bangkok, where I won't even bother trying to fly.

The other 8 days or so will be split between Chiang Mai and Phuket.

One service that offers a package of insurance and registration with both CAAT and NBTC is quoting a price of 4214 THB.

Sounds like this FEIC will be around 3100 THB.

My question is whether it's worth doing for chances to fly around Chiang Mai and Phuket island.

I could never find a drone map showing zones where recreational drone flights would be permitted or outright banned.

So for instance, how far would I have to travel outside of Chiang Mai or Phuket to be able to fly? One complication for all this is that I don't know what kind of mobility I will have. For instance, I'd be happy to use Grab or Bolt but not sure how prevalent these ride share drivers are in these areas.

In Phuket, I heard that the taxi mafia will attack ride share drivers. So my mobility may be limited there. In Google Maps it looks like Cape Phrom Top, the very southern tip of the island, would be an interesting place to fly but I don't know if it's permitted. For one thing, it appears to be a popular place people go to for sunsets so it may be difficult to take off and land and avoid flying over people.

Plus, again I don't know how easy it would be to get there and then return to hotel in Old Town Phuket. Could I find a Grab driver or a taxi which wouldn't try to rip you off out there when trying to return?

The other part of my trip will be a few days in Singapore after Thailand. That would probably be the main reason I'd bother to pack my drone.

So the question is would it be worth it to pay these services or spend a part of my limited time in Bangkok to register in order to fly in the remaining week I would have between Chiang Mai and Phuket?

Shop around a bit because that seems a little too expensive. I have it on good authority that you can fly in Thailand as a tourist for 30 days after which you have to register and get a licence. I am not 100% on that but about 95%.
In your shoes I would not bother with getting a license and just fly well away from people, I have been doing that for 25 years whilst coming on holiday, I now live here. I have never had a problem, and the new rules are a lot more relaxed. Just carry a few thousand baht with you incase you do run into some "boys in brown" or locals looking for an earner. It is easy to solve, very easy. Take a trip to Patong, the surrounding mountains of the town are amazing. Relax and enjoy.

You must register with NBTC within 30 days of entering Thailand or purchasing a drone in Thailand even if you do not fly it.
FEIC (Thailand)

Last edited:
Hmm, I couldn't find other sources for this new law. So you'd still officially need to register with the CAAT?

Boys in brown would be local police?

When you say mountains surrounding Patong, are you referring to east of the town and waterfront? In Google Maps, it seems those are the highest above the town, compared to the little promontories jutting out west to the north and south of the town?

A company like ;
You must register with NBTC within 30 days of entering Thailand or purchasing a drone in Thailand even if you do not fly it.
FEIC (Thailand)
would not dare to publish such a fact if it were not true, they have a reputation to protect, it means money. Yes the boys in brown are the local police. I have always found them very polite, amenable and very poorly paid. Always remain calm, polite and affable with any Thai, especially officialdom.
Apart from the sea, Patong is surrounded by mountains. Just use google maps to find a way to the top. There are some amazing views of the city, as usual, especially at dawn and dusk. There is a mountain track if you are ok with a motorbike that goes right along the mountains to the south east. But if you drive along Hasippi Road which is the highest north - south road there are many turnoffs to go higher up the mountains. But you do need a motorbike. but there are some points where you can have a great view with a car.
Bang Wad Reservoir (is a beautiful drive which you can do in a bike, car or walk with lots of points to fly over the Dam.
Google map.
The satellite view will show you the surrounding mountain range.

I have a lot of footage of Thailand, particularly Patong. The Avata ones are mostly Patong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
I actually contacted FEIC and here is their reply

On our website, it said “You must register with NBTC within 30 days of entering Thailand or purchasing a drone in Thailand even if you do not fly it. The regulations apply to all drones fitted with cameras.”

So to use your drone in Thailand then you will need to register with NBTC and CAAT.

So either they wrote the text on the website ambiguously or this person who replied to me interprets the verbiage differently.

Confusing.

Oh well, if I have some time, I may try to get to the NBTC office in Bangkok but probably won't go out of my way for it.

Yes a bit confusing. But you are probably right, you do need to get a licence. But my original point is what I stand by. I did at one time get a licence for a P4P but I never had to pull it out. I have a license now because I live here. But for 25 years I never had one. I always, and still do fly away from anyone. I just don't feel comfortable. But I perfectly understand that you feel better getting a licence.

Dear all,
I’ve been traveling to Thailand many times in the past 8 years and every time I go there I bring my drone.
No need to pay the nigh price to get the CAAT! It’s free and you can do it before you come to Thailand. It’s valid for 2years once you have it!
As for the NBTC, you need your passport entry stamp into Thailand to regester with them. It’s all done online and will cost you 214 THB. If you have all the necessary pictures and documents (picture of drone, picture of QR code of drone, picture of QR code of the remote, picture of the first personal information page if your passport and picture of the entry stamp into Thailand), writhing 24 to 48 hours you will get your 30 permit to fly. Please note that the CAAT and NBTC do not give you access to National parks. You will need another permit from the department of National parks in Thailand.
Enjoy!

Hi all
I’ve just received the following email from the agent who registered my drone for me in Thailand -

‘For nation park, You will need to send an email “Requesting permission to take still photos and aerial video using a drone camera (for private use)” to head of each national park. These are some information that we have, other than this you can search on google.

• National Park - Koh Chang - [email protected] , [email protected] // https://www.facebook.com/MuKoAngthong.NationalPark/

• National Park - PHIPHI ( document in download)

• National Park - Lanta > [email protected]// Call 075 656 576 //

Facebook page : อุทยานแห่งชาติหมู่เกาะลันตา - Mu Ko Lanta National Park

• National Park - Khao Sok Email : [email protected] // Facebook : อุทยานแห่งชาติเขาสก - Khao Sok National Park

• National Park - Koh tarutao Email :[email protected] // Call :+66 7478 3597’

I was at Maya Bay & PhiPhi yesterday and was told I couldn’t fly without approval so make sure you get the necessary documents filed and permission granted before you do it. If you don’t you’ll be heavily fined and could end up in jail.
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Sean

I just finished my first visit to Thailand. I didn't pack my drone.

Really didn't see flying in Bangkok or even Chiang Mai.

On Phuket, I did a van tour where they take you to various attractions. At the Karon view point, there is actually a sign that says drone zone. I didn't see anyone flying there though.

Then at the Big Buddha, there is a big terrace looking at the coast in the distance and at one end, someone was flying one of those drones with a VR goggles but they just hovered mostly about 20-30 feet above the terrace.

If you climb the steps up to the Big Buddha there are signs prohibiting drones. Not sure if that's for the entire site or just the level at the base of the statue.

I would imagine they wouldn't want to see drones getting close circling the statue. For one thing, there are a lot of people right around the base of the statue.

But the terrace below, if you launched there you'd be at least 100 meters away. Still not too many testing it.

Dear all,
I’ve been traveling to Thailand many times in the past 8 years and every time I go there I bring my drone.
No need to pay the nigh price to get the CAAT! It’s free and you can do it before you come to Thailand. It’s valid for 2years once you have it!
As for the NBTC, you need your passport entry stamp into Thailand to regester with them. It’s all done online and will cost you 214 THB. If you have all the necessary pictures and documents (picture of drone, picture of QR code of drone, picture of QR code of the remote, picture of the first personal information page if your passport and picture of the entry stamp into Thailand), writhing 24 to 48 hours you will get your 30 permit to fly. Please note that the CAAT and NBTC do not give you access to National parks. You will need another permit from the department of National parks in Thailand.
Enjoy!
That is awesome news if you come on a holiday. I now live here and as I mentioned you need a licence for one drone. I fly an Avata along with my registered Mini 4 Pro and then never check the type of drone so I fly both. As well as the copy of your passport you need the CAAT and NBCT docs but you also need to prove your insurance for your drone.

Hi all
I’ve just received the following email from the agent who registered my drone for me in Thailand -

‘For nation park, You will need to send an email “Requesting permission to take still photos and aerial video using a drone camera (for private use)” to head of each national park. These are some information that we have, other than this you can search on google.

• National Park - Koh Chang - [email protected] , [email protected] // https://www.facebook.com/MuKoAngthong.NationalPark/

• National Park - PHIPHI ( document in download)

• National Park - Lanta > [email protected]// Call 075 656 576 //

Facebook page : อุทยานแห่งชาติหมู่เกาะลันตา - Mu Ko Lanta National Park

• National Park - Khao Sok Email : [email protected] // Facebook : อุทยานแห่งชาติเขาสก - Khao Sok National Park

• National Park - Koh tarutao Email :[email protected] // Call :+66 7478 3597’

I was at Maya Bay & PhiPhi yesterday and was told I couldn’t fly without approval so make sure you get the necessary documents filed and permission granted before you do it. If you don’t you’ll be heavily fined and could end up in jail.
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Sean
I just turn up at a national park and register with my 4 documents and away you go. No charge but you do need to fill in a single paged doc with simple details and sign. Don't take all signs literally because the law allowing to fly in the national parks was only made mid way through 2023. I only know of one person who has been fined for flying where he shouldn't have and that was because he posted it on FB. I have posted loads on YT without an issue.

I just turn up at a national park and register with my 4 documents and away you go. No charge but you do need to fill in a single paged doc with simple details and sign. Don't take all signs literally because the law allowing to fly in the national parks was only made mid way through 2023. I only know of one person who has been fined for flying where he shouldn't have and that was because he posted it on FB. I have posted loads on YT without an issue.
Hi John. Is obtaining permission to fly in Thai national parks very easy (just turn up on the day with the right documents and fill out a form), or do they prefer to only give permission to specific people (e.g. experienced pilots / social media influencers etc). Have you found some national parks to be drone unfriendly? I've just applied for my 2 Thai licences and would really like to fly in Khao Sok, Pha Nga Bay and on some of the islands.

On another note, how have you found drone flying in Vietnam? The official drone rules online look incredibly strict (need expensive permission for each individual flight), but someone told me no-one cares and to just ignore the rules, especially in the Northern rice terrace areas. But then there are horror stories online of Vietnamese airports confiscating drones...

Hi John. Is obtaining permission to fly in Thai national parks very easy (just turn up on the day with the right documents and fill out a form), or do they prefer to only give permission to specific people (e.g. experienced pilots / social media influencers etc). Have you found some national parks to be drone unfriendly? I've just applied for my 2 Thai licences and would really like to fly in Khao Sok, Pha Nga Bay and on some of the islands.

On another note, how have you found drone flying in Vietnam? The official drone rules online look incredibly strict (need expensive permission for each individual flight), but someone told me no-one cares and to just ignore the rules, especially in the Northern rice terrace areas. But then there are horror stories online of Vietnamese airports confiscating drones...
In Thailand, you need four documents one from CAAT and one the NTCB. Then you need a copy of your passport and finally proof that your drone is insured. You can find people to do this or you can do it yourself. I find it way too complicated so I get an agent, in my case with the MP4 when I bought it they offered to
organise it. I get lots of copies and carry some with me in the drone back. Sometimes they photocopy, sometimes they keep it so it's good to have a few copies. I've been to about five national parks and only one couldn't do it because the guy in charge knew about it, but was unsure about how to do it, so he said I couldn't fly.
You are right about Vietnam, legally it's very difficult but in reality most places are perfectly fine if you ask first. Of course out in this sticks there's no one there, so it doesn't really matter. You do have to be a bit more careful because of the legality and the local officials have the right to ask for your documentation if they are indeed aware of it.
I went to Khao Sok last January but just finished the video yesterday. Amazing. If there is any confusion please ask again.

Hi John, I hope you're well. Do you have any advice for flying a drone around the Koh Phi Phi Leh island? I heard that it is a national park and very strict with drones (esp Maya Bay) - but I also heard there may be parts of the island from where it's ok to launch. Have you tried to fly here recently or to get permission? I would really like to capture some wide-angle shots of the entire island:
Many thanks, Tom

cf984874-49af-4bd2-a8a3-64d4349a8716.jpg

Hi Tom it's a difficult one because there are signs everywhere saying you can't fly but that's true of many national parks and it's outdated because you can now fly in National parks as long as you have a copy of your passport insurance for your drone and the two government communication officerses. National Broadcasting Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) and Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT).
Most national parks have an office where you pay for entrance. This is the office where you can register your drone. So when you get there just ask. If there is a big "no" and you have reminded them of the Government change in 2023 saying you can fly in national parks, use some common sense. Just get to a place where no one can see you, get up high to survey your area and fly. You still have to adhere to common laws of flying ect not on occupied beaches or near airports, although there is no airport there. I see absolutely nothing wrong with flying in an area with no people no danger to life, property or local fauna. It's just silly. So fly Tom, but do let us all know how you found it. I am going to visit in the next few months.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne