DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in cold weather

jeplane

Reactions
I am planning to fly the Mavic in as low as -15C/5F weather.

I use a parka for my DSLR, and keep its batteries close to my body for warmth.

Ironically, it isn’t so much the Mavic’s batteries that I am worried about, but I am having more trouble on finding out how to operate the Ipad at such low temperature, as it is the tablet I use on the remote.

It is only certified to 0C/32F.

I will not have the protection of a car, and in fact, will be mostly dog sledding.

Any thoughts on keeping an Ipad warm for the duration of drone flights?

Thanks guys!

Get a set of hand or boot warmers like these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Hand...g9Mb_o7Yw_cPNGfpBJ7kGzhTjXfvv5ncaAj8xEALw_wcB

dc8743d2-3368-446f-9523-806518d02965_1.841e8279907affe4ce02b7d3b45bc8ba.jpeg

Then massage them after exposing to the air. Let them warm up a bit and tape to the bottom of the Ipad. Done!

They make these in several different sizes. Can be purchased at any drug store or Walmart or amazon. They stick on!

Attachments

• E60B2DA0-28DF-40D5-956A-632093EECC6E.jpeg
    E60B2DA0-28DF-40D5-956A-632093EECC6E.jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 29
I think 20 minutes is pretty decent, considering the temp.... Does a few more minutes matter this much to you?

I think 20 minutes is pretty decent, considering the temp.... Does a few more minutes matter this much to you?

Yes it does. specially when you're waiting for the light to hit certain area, composing a shot etc...every extra minute counts...cuz right before the light hit the peak...i got the battery low...even though it was fully charged and showed that it had plenty of juice couple of minutes earlier...

Ok.
Good thing you are not flying a Spark then!...:)

I like it!
Where was this ?
What tablet did you use and how did you keep it warm ?
Thanks

You could try and add the warmers to the battery. I am unsure if they will provide too much weight and make the Mavic top heavy and unbalanced. As well as adding drag to the craft.
Once you begin flying the batteries will internally come up to operating temp and warm up on thier own as well. So the need for a warmer may or may not be helpful.
This would be a trial-and-error situation.

Reactions: dawgpilot
My battery’s are over 30c when landing even when flying at -20 c . I find my hands and the iPad suffer the most .

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I'm also planning to fly in extreme cold, -20ºF. I realize the charge on Mavic's batteries will be dramatically reduced. I'll be flying from inside my car (Mavic will only be a few hundred feet away), so iPad won't be affected by cold.

But I'm wondering if any damage can occur to the Mavic (short of crashing) by simply flying in extreme cold. Are there any oil, grease, other lubricants, or parts that can be adversely affected by the sub-zero temperatures

I'm also planning to fly in extreme cold, -20ºF. I realize the charge on Mavic's batteries will be dramatically reduced. I'll be flying from inside my car (Mavic will only be a few hundred feet away), so iPad won't be affected by cold.

But I'm wondering if any damage can occur to the Mavic (short of crashing) by simply flying in extreme cold. Are there any oil, grease, other lubricants, or parts that can be adversely affected by the sub-zero temperatures
There are a few threads on this and no one has had any problems from flying in extreme cold that I have seen. Many say they only lose a minute or two in fly time also. Keep your batteris warm.

Reactions: floyd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_