DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Florida

FrankAN

Reactions
I live in Canada and will be visiting Florida in the near future. I have my FAA registration. I would just like to clarify a couple of rules. In Canada it will be simply no flying within 3.5 miles of airports. In the US it states 5 miles. If I am 4.5 miles from an airport do I still need to contact air traffic at that airport?
Secondly, I just downloaded the b4ufly app. Are heliports considered airports? The app shows a range of 5 miles from heliports. Are we to stay that far from heliports and sea plane bases also?
Thanks

Your maps should show the airport zones. Best answer to the first question is yes. Second question is, I don't know but they do not show up as no fly zones on my phone (flying my Air) or on ny Crystalsky when flying my Mavic Pro platinum. Best practice is to contact the airports head controller and get permission, use common sense, don't fly farther into the no fly zone, and stay 400 ft or below on you missions. Be sure to post videos!

Reactions: Megalodrone
Legally you are required to notify all 'airports". By definition, this includes helipads. With that said, personally I don't call helipads if they are not someplace where airplanes take off as well or have some amount of traffic.

I live in Canada and will be visiting Florida in the near future. I have my FAA registration. I would just like to clarify a couple of rules. In Canada it will be simply no flying within 3.5 miles of airports. In the US it states 5 miles. If I am 4.5 miles from an airport do I still need to contact air traffic at that airport?
Secondly, I just downloaded the b4ufly app. Are heliports considered airports? The app shows a range of 5 miles from heliports. Are we to stay that far from heliports and sea plane bases also?
Thanks

You can download a program called "airmap". That is an excellent and free site..(you can download it as a shortcut) along with the FAA Sectionals. Stay clear of airport areas and their 5-mile radius. In those airport zones the restrictions go to the surface and you should not fly in them. Airmap will help you to understand where you can fly and there are so many open areas to do so that you should not be flying in airport areas. also use the DJI go 4 app for "flight restrictions" (not shown on your map).

Where Can I Fly?

Airspace Restrictions

Flying Near Airports

Flying Near Airports

Generally, drone operators should avoid flying near airports because of other air traffic. It is very difficult for other aircraft to see and avoid a drone while flying, and drone operators are responsible for any safety hazard their drone creates in an airport environment.

Option 1: If you have a Remote Pilot Certificate and are following part 107 rules, you must get permission from air traffic control to fly in controlled airspace. The FAA can grant permission two different ways – LAANC or DroneZone.

Option 2: If you are flying with a model aeroclub organization following the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower to fly within 5 miles of an airport.

Option 3: If you are a public entity (law enforcement or government agency), the FAA may issue you special permission to fly in a designated location near an airport. For more information about the requirements for law enforcement and government drone operations here.

You do the reading!!

If you choose to fly, I would recommend max AGL of 50 feet

Heliports, generally only receive a notice from you referencing your location, time/date of flight, altitude, etc. Same data as what you would provide to an AP Ops Ctr. Offer your cell number so they could possibly text you if necessary.

For what it is worth.

OCTOBER 26, 2018 BY ISABELLA LEE

DJI Refines No-Fly Zones Around Airports and Elects PrecisionHawk over AirMap as New Provider of Airspace Data

Link to story

You can self unlock an Authorization and Warning zone surrounding a Red NFZ.

NFZ BHC      .jpg

Please note that the Authorization zone will be unlocked starting at 0:00 (local time in the selected zone) on the day you choose for unlocking, and expire on the third day at 23:59 (local time in the selected zone)

Where in Florida?

Orlando? Disney.... don't even think about it

You will have to look at the sectional charts and stay out of Class B airspace ,

The rest you have to pick and choose wisely, watch TFR's especially if say you were going to be near a certain resort area where the man with the orange spray tan might be staying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661