DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Frankfurt, Germany

Jac

Reactions
Hey all,

I recently moved to Frankfurt, Germany. I got a Mavic Pro last year without really doing much research as far as rules and regulations are concerned. What I found out was that you had to have liability insurance, and that's about as far as I got. But I didn't do much flying.

Last night i met a gentleman (photographer) who told me that flying in Frankfurt is basically "Verboten" (not allowed).

1. Is this true?
2. If it is not, what are the rules concerning flying in and around this beautiful city?
3. Since I did fly a few times before meeting this guy, what fine could I have been subjected to had I been caught? (Germans really don't care about "ignorance of the law")

Thanks!

Yes, it’s not allowed. I’m not familiar with the fines but you have the Frankfurt International Airport there which is pretty much going to cause problems for your drones. A lot of A380s take off there and they have a monstrous wake that can disrupt your drone and bring it down. I don’t know exactly where in Frankfurt you are though.

In addition to that, you are flying over a heavily populated area.

I don’t know exactly where in Frankfurt you are though.

I am right in the middle of the city. More precisely in the Sachsenhausen area...

While doing research about this I found this link: Map2Fly

I'm afraid you are right :(. The entire Frankfurt area is basically off limits. It is so restrictive, I'm surprised I didn't get fined when I did fly. I guess I will refrain from flying around here, which is really unfortunate, since this is such a beautiful area.

Thanks

Hey, i just moved from Frankfurt to new york city. I fly my drone there all the time, when ever i come back to germany to visit family i fly my mavic. I have had no problems with it so far. I have even flown it over the alteopa. Old opra. To be honest i think your good to go. You can aslo drive out to the taunus which is about 15 minuets away from Frankfurt. Your good to go when ur out there.

I hope i helped.

Reactions: Jac
YES, in general it is not allowed. For more information, see the official city pages:
Frankfurt am Main: Drohneneinsatz in Frankfurt am Main
There, you find several links for special permissions which have to obtained for flying drones in public parks etc. Please note that this is not cheap!
Besides, you have to follow the general rules for drones in Germany, i.e. a fire-safe name tag on the drone and an assurance.

Additional note: Although flying my drone outside Frankfurt in the wood, some areas are prohibited because you might disturb wild life. For more exact information, there is a more precise app for Android called AirMap. Use this, it answers all questions.

Additional note: Although flying my drone outside Frankfurt in the wood, some areas are prohibited because you might disturb wild life. For more exact information, there is a more precise app for Android called AirMap. Use this, it answers all questions.

Thanks for the info. I was busy moving from Düsseldorf to Frankfurt the past couple of months. I got AirMap as you suggested and realize that it will be very difficult to find a place in the area that is not restricted.

Btw, do you know if there are any clubs here that I could join? I would love to be able to hang out with people who have the same interests once in a while.
Also, where can I purchase one of these fire-safe name tags for my drone?

Thank Reed

Hi Jac,

I travel for pleasure around the world and I would like to take my Mavic Pro with me to fly as hobbies. I'm going to Bavaria Germany, Austria and Switzerland on November 16th, so I would like to know what kind liability insurance you got?
I want to buy for me!
Thanks alot!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+