DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying in hawaii big island & national parks

Headed to Hawaii in 2 weeks. I am on a boat tour for the lava going into the ocean on the big island. I am getting conflicting reports if I can fly or not off the boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I am doing some training with the HVNP rangers Thursday. I will ask point blank - but I am sure out in the ocean is not thePark's jurisdiction.

I am doing some training with the HVNP rangers Thursday. I will ask point blank - but I am sure out in the ocean is not thePark's jurisdiction.
I am being told that there is a temporary no fly zone in place. If I read it correctly I can come within 500 ft of the shoreline? Thank you for the reply!

Attachments

• National Parks Letter for boat operators.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
I am being told that there is a temporary no fly zone in place. If I read it correctly I can come within 500 ft of the shoreline? Thank you for the reply!
This is just for volcano national park on honolulu?

There are two TFR's in the area but the one right on the coast is quite small. I would bet you could still get decent footage while remaining clear of the TFR.

Now the challenging part is dealing with flying from a boat. First off, the captain may not allow it. If the captain does allow it, hand catching may be very difficult on a pitching deck.

see SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

There are two TFR's in the area but the one right on the coast is quite small. I would bet you could still get decent footage while remaining clear of the TFR.

Now the challenging part is dealing with flying from a boat. First off, the captain may not allow it. If the captain does allow it, hand catching may be very difficult on a pitching deck.

I talked with the Captain. Small Boat (30 ft.) 6 people. He is ok with it as long as I can hand catch. Based on the TFR if I'm reading this right I should be no closer then 500 ft. off of the coast.

Captain is good. My thumb nail is not after trying to perfect hand take off and catch! Ripped it right off! I think I can do it safely with 2 people though.

Captain is good. My thumb nail is not after trying to perfect hand take off and catch! Ripped it right off! I think I can do it safely with 2 people though.

I would practice hand catching and launching many times prior to the boat flight. Like you said two people would make it easier. My son and I have done it a few times.

Although I haven't tried it, it supposedly doesn't do the full power thing if you turn off the bottom sensors before landing. You may want to do that before flying over water anyhow.

I asked the ranger yesterday - he said their jurisdiction ends at the sea. He also said once you cross over land the drone, and you, are breaking the law.

I think the logistics from a very rocking boat are a much bigger issue.

I asked the ranger yesterday - he said their jurisdiction ends at the sea. He also said once you cross over land the drone, and you, are breaking the law.

I think the logistics from a very rocking boat are a much bigger issue.

As long as one remains clear of the TFR, a flight from a boat over the park is perfectly legal. The NPS has no authority over the NAS.

Aircraft GPS have airspace borders overlayed on the screen so you can see exactly where you are in real time. It would be cool if you could mark the TFR on the map during a Mavic flight. The Lat/Lon border of that TFR are on Skyvector.

make sure you get the ok from everyone on board, so you can consider them involved in the flight, can't fly over people who are not. still it's a risk to land on a moving vehicle or boat

make sure you get the ok from everyone on board, so you can consider them involved in the flight, can't fly over people who are not. still it's a risk to land on a moving vehicle or boat

I don't think people realize how much boats move, even on a seemingly calm day. I wouldn't hesitate with a Phantom but hand catching a Mavic takes a bit of finesse to keep ones fingers out of the props.

Don't forget to check out the northern side of the island. We got a bunch of little off-road trails along the ocean far from NFZs. The valleys are also a nice place to fly when it isn't windy. Here's a little clip of a scenic spot we go to often.

I am going to Kauai, Hawaii and i am wondering whether i am allowed to fly my dji Mavic air there.

I am going to Kauai, Hawaii and i am wondering whether i am allowed to fly my dji Mavic air there.
ya you can i dont see why you couldnt

Kauai has a few National Parks, but mostly State Parks. You should get permission to fly in the SPs beforehand. NP are off limits to take off an land in.

Also, there is much military aircraft activity, especially along the S and W coasts where there are bases, airstrips, and missile ranges all over. I believe there are NFZ defined and TFRs pop up as well. Additionally, there are electromagnetic interference and radiation warnings all over. Check all available resources including sectional charts for where you want to fly.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf