DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in high altitude

I fly from 5200 ft MSL, and it seems pretty zippy to me! But at 6200 ft MSL (under 400 ft AGL) the controls do seem to be a bit more sluggish. Not as bad as you describe, but I can easily extrapolate that mine might do the same thing at 7200 ft MSL.
The Mini 2 has a Service Ceiling of >13000 feet.
At 6200ft or 7400 ft any altitude effects would have been insignificant and too small to notice.
Altitude wasn't the cause of whatever you noticed.

Density altitude is another atmospheric feature (colder air is more dense, and the drone would fly as if it was at a lower altitude.) But as meta points out, I don't think you'd see much effect from that either, and if you did, it would cancel out effects of flying at higher-than-normal altitudes.

Did you notice any oddities with your compass?

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the compass. To be honest, I only pop out the MIni2 when I need to scout something out. It is my "most favorite to crash" drone. And this little issue may even be the result of the numerous times it has hit it's head on something. In general, I am not doing high-altitude flying, so just wanted to gain some experience. Thanks all for the advice!!

The Mini 2 has a Service Ceiling of >13000 feet.
At 6200ft or 7400 ft any altitude effects would have been insignificant and too small to notice.
Altitude wasn't the cause of whatever you noticed.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

Atmospheric pressure doesn't drop off linearly. Neither does fixed wing aircraft performance.

Still, you may be right. It was just a casual observation, and I haven't done any testing around it.

Thx,

TCS

Any performance differnce between 5200 ft and 6200 ft would be too small to notice.
6200 ft is not high altitude for your drone.
You may be right. It was just a casual observation.

Thx,

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum