DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in mountains

Kristen_Scholl

Reactions
Im going to be going on a snowboard trip and just recently got the magic mini. I want to fly it through some of the mountains but would it be allowed. I would be in the keystone Breckenridge area.

Thank you in advance

I live and fly in the mountains of California all the time.

The first thing to be careful about is wind. In the mountains wind can be very unpredictable and turbulent due to the rougher terrain. It can be calm but as soon as you peek your nose above a ridge it can suddenly be very strong. I would be especially concerned with the mini because it has much lower wind resistance capabilities than the bigger Mavics.

Be very careful with RTH height settings. It is difficult to judge obstacle heights along with the variable elevation.

In the winter I would also be careful about the temperature. The Mini is only specified for operation to 32 F.

Those are the big ones off the top of my head. In general, just be more careful than you would in the flatlands.

Im going to be going on a snowboard trip and just recently got the magic mini. I want to fly it through some of the mountains but would it be allowed. I would be in the keystone Breckenridge area.

Thank you in advance
Be sure you are at or below the service ceiling... check your manual. I think it’s about 3000 meters.

Thank you in advance
I have lived in CO for close to 40 years. I fly drones a lot in the mountains but never in the ski resorts as I don't ski. Many of them have a no drone policy so even if it appears there are no restrictions you will want to check with the ski resort as well as the town as some resorts and/or towns have restrictions.

Here are the rules for flying around Breckenridge - it appears you have to buy a permit: https://www.townofbreckenridge.com/...t-permitting/permitting-for-drones/-fsiteid-1

Last edited:
I often fly at 7000+’ around Park City, Utah. But all of the ski resorts in the area ban drones. They don’t control the airspace but can control where you operate from. Also watch out for National Parks and Forest.

Reactions: Bobvt

Thank you in advance
Keystone is lovely. Go easy to start with if it’s cold and I’ve found the mountains occasionally effect the drone due to the magnetic forces in the hills. Mine played up in The Lakes a couple of weeks ago. Acts like it’s confused.

Thank you in advance
I lived in Breckenridge for 2 winters, that mountain suffers from wind a lot more than the others, due to its position, so you might get more windy and greater windy days than the other resorts around, that's why their runs are often more icy than the other surrounding resorts of Copper and Keystone and Vail. Keystone is a lovely ski resort and will not suffer the same as Breckenridge but you may well still have windy days. Breckenridge is the highest of all those ski towns around there, at around 10,000ft in the town.

On the other hand you may find every day is calm, but we aware that at altitude there is almost always some wind. I used to fly out of Granby, not too far away and the mountain winds can be deadly to manned flight, if you don't know about mountain flying. You may well find that the resort will not allow you to fly anyway, so there is no issues with wind for you, at least not around the ski resort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones