DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Portsmouth?

Magpie

Reactions
I just got my first drone, and I was scouting around for some spots to do some recreational flying (TRUST tested/registered). I've seen drones around Portsmouth, NH all the time, so I was surprised to see that Pease (KPSM) is a non-LAANC facility, and the 5 mile radius pretty much covers all of Portsmouth. Does anyone have any experience applying for authorization for areas like Portsmouth under Drone Zone? Were you approved? How far in advance do you need to plan for a flight based on their turnaround time?

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know why so much of the outer ring of the airspace is at zero? It seems unique compared to other airspace in the area. Zeros next to 400s next to uncontrolled airspace.

ArcGIS Link: ArcGIS Web Application

Thanks!

Reactions: evtide and JoelP
I suggest you install a copy of Aloft and look at your airspace. Here is what it shows. As you can see the only 0 airspace is right at the airport. Which tool are you using that shows otherwise?

Attachments

• 2F5ED2CE-CBBB-4AB9-BD84-89A7C869FCE5.png
    2F5ED2CE-CBBB-4AB9-BD84-89A7C869FCE5.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Magpie
Oh that is so strange! I do see that in Aloft as well. That's good to know.

I was on my desktop when I was looking into this, so I was using the FAA UAS map on ArcGIS linked from their site. Here's the link and screenshot attached: ArcGIS Web Application

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-105025.png
    Screenshot_20220807-105025.png
    996 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Reactions: Magpie
The Portsmouth Shipyard, a Navy facility, is there. Wouldn't that have a big impact on where you can fly?

The Portsmouth Shipyard, a Navy facility, is there. Wouldn't that have a big impact on where you can fly?
I actually have heard more about this process in some other local groups.

Evidently they turn around the authorization requests pretty quickly (1-3 days). They then require you to email some contact with 24h notice, and then call the tower 30 mins prior to flying. A little bit of a process, but folks have said they are actually easy/friendly to work with on it.

Just don't go flying near the shipyard of course 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair