DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the cold

naiku

Reactions
Anyone had any problems when flying in cold weather? I'd like to capture a few photos around this area after yesterdays snowfall before the snow starts melting, getting dirty etc. but am not sure just how safe it is to fly in cold conditions. The temperature here today will by 11am be 32F (feel like 35F) rising to a high of 36F (and feeling like 39F) at 3pm. I know if I do fly I should pre-warm the battery, make sure that it is also fully charged and expect shorter battery life.

But, I just want to see if there is anything else unexpected and if what real world experience has been like.

Thanks.

The Mavic 2 manual states the operating temp range is -10C to 40C (14F to 104F)...I've flown in temperatures as low as -30C (-22F).

The battery has to be around 16-18C. If it's lower you'll get a cold battery warning pop up on your screen. You'll hear people say that cold temperatures reduce the battery's efficiency. That's true, but note that once you're flying the battery will generate its own heat, so there is no noticable reduction in efficiency.

I've taken off at around -30C with the battery at 18C. During the flight, the battery temperature rose to 22C. I haven't noticed much of a reduction in flying time in cold weather.

Last edited:
@naiku low temps as you are already aware do have an affect on battery performance ,not only in the drone, but the RC battery ,and your device battery and their ability to work can be impacted as well plus also remember that the cold will have a detrimental affect on you, when your hands and body get chilled just be extra vigilant in very cold weather ,and you will be fine

Thanks both, I've been looking forward to flying in the snow, so will make sure everything is charged up and I have some gloves that work with a touch screen!!

Reactions: old man mavic
And keep your extra batteries in your pocket to keep them warm.

Go4 now brings up a warning for a battery temperature under 15c and suggests warming it first.
Flashes up very briefly on connection.

i got the same warning on my MPP a few days ago the air temp was around 8 degrees,this was while it was initialising, so i just took off and hovered at a couple of feet, and the battery temp came up to 20 degrees pretty quickly during the flight i never saw more than 28 degrees i checked air data after the days flying and the warnings showed on there as well

No problems in the flight, I only used a single battery but kept the other in my pocket just in case. My biggest concern was making sure I landed on the landing pad and not in the snow. Might fly again tomorrow, depends on how the weather is.

i got the same warning on my MPP a few days ago the air temp was around 8 degrees,this was while it was initialising, so i just took off and hovered at a couple of feet, and the battery temp came up to 20 degrees pretty quickly during the flight i never saw more than 28 degrees i checked air data after the days flying and the warnings showed on there as well
Yeah i had no issue. Battery was 6c (Air was -3c) , started props, waited a minute and flew no problem at all. Battery 24c on landing.

Its not a warning ive ever seen before though - wonder if it came with a new Go4 update.

funny you should say that i hadnt seen it before now you mention it ,and its my second winter with my MPP

funny you should say that i hadnt seen it before now you mention it ,and its my second winter with my MPP

Im sure its new. Normally my winter is 33c and dry but im stuck in Wales for now so thats the first sub zero ive given it.
That said ive flown it in 0-5c a lot up volcanos and mountains and never seen that warning before the last month or two. Im fairly sure its a new addition and you only see it very very briefly on connect.

Im sure its new. Normally my winter is 33c and dry but im stuck in Wales for now so thats the first sub zero ive given it.
That said ive flown it in 0-5c a lot up volcanos and mountains and never seen that warning before the last month or two. Im fairly sure its a new addition and you only see it very very briefly on connect.
these days its not so much the cold affecting the drone ,that keeps me indoors ,but the cold affecting me ,i still like to go out on those lovely cold sunny days that we sometimes get,but not until the sun has taken the temp past the minus values ,

Reactions: Camino Ken
these days its not so much the cold affecting the drone ,that keeps me indoors ,but the cold affecting me ,i still like to go out on those lovely cold sunny days that we sometimes get,but not until the sun has taken the temp past the minus values ,
Pen-y-Fan was awesome in the snow last week.
But im bored now. Planning my escape before lockdown v4.0 which is a minimum 6 weeks. Time to get the hell out of this prison camp!

hope you make it ,have a safe trip,

I don’t even notice a shorter battery time flying in the cold weather but the mini two does have a higher minimum temperature operating level than the Mavic two and air 2 I did get a notice on the mini two the temperature was a little too cold When flying at 20°

Reactions: raymairjr
You may want to try flying from the warmth of your car or truck. Point your vehicle in the direction of your flight and enjoy... works great.
I've done it numerous times with no issues.

Forget the drone (except as above) the biggest problem I have found in cold weather, it is the phone or tablet that are not built for prolong exposure to cold and wind chill and often cause the picture to break up.

Reactions: Canuk and J Herb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803