DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in USA and Grand Canyon specifics

michaelbolton19

Reactions
Hello, when bringing my mavic air from the UK to US do I need to register it with the FAA in the US having some trouble understanding the website where it says “I fly under part 107” and the “I fly under the exception for recreational flyers” what’s the difference? Also what’s the definitive answer on the Grand Canyon I know you are not allowed to fly in any national parks or forests but there is a lot of contradictory information on other posts saying you can take off outside the NP fly over the GC then return, sOmeone mentioned a point around here (35.9680454, -111.9632595) Is this a technicality that’s actually allowed?
Thanks

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hello, when bringing my mavic air from the UK to US do I need to register it with the FAA in the US having some trouble understanding the website where it says “I fly under part 107” and the “I fly under the exception for recreational flyers” what’s the difference?
107 is for commercial flying.
You would probably be flying as a recreational pilot.
Here is the relevant page for you: Information for International UAS Operators in the United States

Hello, when bringing my mavic air from the UK to US do I need to register it with the FAA in the US having some trouble understanding the website where it says “I fly under part 107” and the “I fly under the exception for recreational flyers” what’s the difference? Also what’s the definitive answer on the Grand Canyon I know you are not allowed to fly in any national parks or forests but there is a lot of contradictory information on other posts saying you can take off outside the NP fly over the GC then return, sOmeone mentioned a point around here (35.9680454, -111.9632595) Is this a technicality that’s actually allowed?
Thanks
Numerous commercial, fixed wing and helicopter flights carrying mainly sight-seeing tourists flying both over and below the rim of the Grand Canyon. Where you took off from if you intended to fly over the Canyon would make no difference to the commercial tourist-carrying aircraft, your proposed flight would be a danger. I know, I've done both. Don't even think about it for their safeties' sake and yours should you get caught!

Leave the Air in it's case. The Grand Canyon is so vast and awe-inspiring that you will not need aerial pictures of your own to make it more special. If you do want aerial pictures, there are many online to enjoy.
There is also plenty of video available for free.

Hi there,
this summer, in August, I'm going to Los Angeles and then with a car we visit several parks.
My idea is to bring with me my mavic air.
Is there the possibility to use the drone outside the park?

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Federico

Thanks
Hi there,
this summer, in August, I'm going to Los Angeles and then with a car we visit several parks.
My idea is to bring with me my mavic air.
Is there the possibility to use the drone outside the park?

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Federico

Unlike the National Parks where you may not fly drones, you can legally fly on most BLM, National Recreation Areas and National Forest lands unless it’s a designated wilderness area, or there’s a specific TFR or administrative ruling for the area (call their district offices first for local info and look up TFR’s on Kittyhawk or Airmap).

Last edited:
Thanks
First, the good news regarding your statement "I know you are not allowed to fly in any national parks or forests" You can fly recreationally in national forests except in wilderness areas. Here is more information on flying in forests. Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service

You're correct in that you can't fly in a national park. Grand Canyon National Park is also surrounded by an FAA Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), and the FAA has a special chart just for it, here under the Grand Canyon tab VFR Raster Charts

The SFRA boundary is outside the park boundary and altitude restrictions start at the surface. The minimum allowed altitudes are higher than you can legally fly your Mavic. The coordinates in your post are plotted as the red cross in this map. That location is within both the national park boundary (magenta line) and the SFRA (blue boxed line).

Reactions: Mossiback and AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki