DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA flying a DJI Mini 4 Pro - Holiday plans

HappyDrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just checking my preparations for a US trip later this year.

1, Taken a TRUST test and obtained certification - Link to AMA, there's several others
2, Obtained the Small UAS Certificate of Registration number lasting for 3 years, cost $5 - FAA Link

Trawling through the FAA legislation, it seems a Remote ID tag is not required for recreational use drones weighing less than 0.55lbs or 249.48g, though this weight limit seems tight.

The Trust Test seemed exceptionally well structured and easy to comprehend being in many ways similar to the UK .

Regarding travel and batteries being minimally charged in carry-on baggage, this is a link to FAA Packsafe covering US specific legislation. This specifically designed DJI-M4P Safety Travel Bag looks OK, there are many others and also ones for drone body protection.

Then there's the question of insurance for liability, hull, theft etc, still investigating this.

Visiting Jackson Hole, Yellowstone via Los Vegas, National Parks are a no-no even from outside, but National Forests and State Parks possibly with caveats, so lots of planning to do.

Any advice or comments welcome ✔️

Yes while National Parks are a NO GO there are some very nice things to see and photograph on your upcoming trip You seem to have done your homework SO really not much to add. I will say in Califonia and around the Vegas area the police Depts. take a little class on drones and know to ask for your trust card so just keep it handy just in case. I don't think you will have a bit of trouble while flying here. National Forest are pretty much a NO GO too, at least here in California. Forest are usually listed as a National Forest after some preservation area is set up around it. Most State parks will let you fly it depends on the crowds they get and believe it or not-The fire danger your Drone posses as a carrier of a Lipo Battery.
Simply call in advance and you will be surprised at the helpful reception you get. Don't inform them and you are asking for trouble-Very easy really.
Enjoy your time here and despite what you may hear- the police and Park officials are extremely helpful and cooperative If you see a spot you would like to get a pic of Just Ask a park Ranger They just Maybe might let you get your shot you never Know.
If you find your way to the Los Angeles Area You will not be allowed to fly anywhere you see a bunch of tourists and the towns of Hollywood and Anaheim are No Drone zones Don't fly there. If you stay away from People most beaches are OK if you sub 250 it. Looking forward to seeing your vacation pics.

Last edited:

Cafguy

thank you very much for the valuable info, I'm sure it will help with the planning 🙏

The trip is Las Vagas, Bryce for Christmas, Zion, Park City, so all very exciting!

Lots of National Parks & Forest and no doubt amazing scenery en route and I'll do my best to get some images ✔️

If you registered the drone ( which was not necessary, if it is less than 250grams) you DO have to have RID...so just go back into your dashboard on Drone Zone and remove it from your inventory.
Download Air Aware and UAV Forcast to your phone.....Air aware will show Controlled airspace....you do have to do additional research to find exclusions such as National Parks

MARK (LI)

Thanks for the info, already had "UAV Forecast" now added "Air Aware " be interesting to see this in operation.

Slightly confusing, my dashboard shows M4P as "Serial Number" = <blank> and "Remote ID"= "No" probably because it's under 0.55lbs, do I still need remove it?

If it is registered ..it HAS to have RID...the Mini 4 Pro has RID when using the PLUS batteries, which weigh more than the standard batteries...that extra weight takes it over 250 grams...which would require FAA registration which batteries do you have?

Indeed I'm aware of the plus battery RID/Weight issue, which btw will be a puzzle once id is introduced to the UK, DJI may have to find a way to retrofit their drones whilst keeping them under the weight limit. Even attaching an Operator Registration label adds weight bearing in mind 0.55lbs is not 250g but 249.48g, perhaps a mute point but someone is bound to get fussy over it. Anyway it depends where on the earth's surface mass/gravity is measured.

My drone uses non-plus batteries, suggesting it doesn't need to be registered however I will go through the DZ process again if only to discover where I went wrong😕

If you are not using plus batteries, remove it from the inventory...you will be below the 250 grams...you will not have to be registered...you will not need RID...if you use the PLUS bateries, it is a different story

On the DZ dashboard, the only option was cancel, so did that and the entry now shows "Canceled" so I assume as there was no serial number entered, the entry is now irrelevant.

Plus batteries are 43.1g heavier (45%) with approx. 11mins longer flying time (32%) presumably the Remote ID module is mounted inside the battery pack since this feature is not available otherwise.

Plus batteries are 43.1g heavier (45%) with approx. 11mins longer flying time (32%) presumably the Remote ID module is mounted inside the battery pack since this feature is not available otherwise.
The remote ID module is in the drone.
By default it is disabled.
It is enabled by using the larger battery.

Hopefully that's the case, especially when UK laws change, not sure why it should only be enabled by plus batteries,

Would like to know the logic behind that, unless its a legal/marketing requirement.

Hopefully that's the case, especially when UK laws change, not sure why it should only be enabled by plus batteries,

Would like to know the logic behind that, unless its a legal/marketing requirement.
Because it's cheaper and simpler to have just one RID module in the drone rather than installing a separate one in each battery.
And it's identifying the drone, not the battery.

It makes the drone a bit more universal...if you want to stay sub 250 and not bother with FAA...you don't have to...if you are going to use it for 107 flights and / or longer flights, it is there for you.

Fully understand why it would be in the drone, perfect sense and for the US there's a kind of logic for only enabling only with the increased weight of a plus battery. However in the UK there's talk of sub 250g RID which would mean enabling for a standard battery too.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman