DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in USA

Drones are banned in the USA.... JUST KIDDING! Where will you be in the USA, it is a big place. There are plenty of posts here that tell you the basics, just be sure not to fly in NFZ, not above 400 feet, not over people or highways, not in any national parks, not in cities (to be safe) and I'm sure others will have more to say.

Drones are banned in the USA.... JUST KIDDING! Where will you be in the USA, it is a big place. There are plenty of posts here that tell you the basics, just be sure not to fly in NFZ, not above 400 feet, not over people or highways, not in any national parks, not in cities (to be safe) and I'm sure others will have more to say.

Hi, thanks for reply,
You named all the places where i want to fly [emoji33]
I want to go: New York, Los Angeles, Washington, Las Vegas, San Diego, San Francisco, St. George, Grand canyon etc.

Maybe better question is where can i fly?
Thanks

Or is there any chance to get some kind of licence or permission to fly in parks for example?

New York City - Definitely NO.
Washington DC? - Definitely NO.
Las Vegas - Maybe somewhere near there (check local regs), but not a good idea, nor is any heavily populated city.
Grand Canyon - NO. Also not in any US National Parks.

You also need to register yourself with the FAA, follow Part 336 rules (currently being updated) and have your registration number on your aircraft.

Look at the Airmap website for areas that you would like to fly. There's some detailed info there. Also don't rely 100% on apps to keep you within regulations or laws.

Washington DC is a HUGE no fly zone. The zone is several miles around and outside the city. Look it up on Airmap. Poor folks living there can't even fly in their yards.

Washington DC is a HUGE no fly zone. The zone is several miles around and outside the city. Look it up on Airmap. Poor folks living there can't even fly in their yards.

Amen to that. I Live just outside the 15mile NFZ for Washington DC. It's a pain to not be able to fly around the tidal basin and the monuments but I get it. Some yahoo flew a drone onto the White House grounds a few years ago. So here we are.
I was in San Francisco a few weeks ago and was able to fly there with some limits. The City has some odd rules that prohibit take-off and landing in city parks. But if you can find a place to safely launch, then you can fly. Normal rules apply e.g. people, buildings , helipads etc.
Two Options in the Bay Area are Oakland and Tiburon. There are more safe zones and you can get enough altitude to get some good shots of SF from across the Bay. Watch out for the winds!

Reactions: JL_Ware

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King