DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying In Venice, Italy

McGhee473

Reactions
Hi all,

I am new to the site and new to flying (have had my Mavic pro for about a week).

I am off to Venice next week and wondered if anyone has experience flying there and or any restrictions?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi all,

I am new to the site and new to flying (have had my Mavic pro for about a week).

I am off to Venice next week and wondered if anyone has experience flying there and or any restrictions?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Howdy from Wyoming @McGhee473 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

It appears that when checking the DJI Geo Zones map from thier website that Venice , Italy is within an Enhanced Warning Zone as a result of a large portion of it being within a 5 mile radius of an airport. This means when attempting flight one will see a message that flight is prohibited within the DJIGO4 app.

One can contact the tower for the airport and let them know your intention to fly and then unlock that zone to be able to fly. The unlocking is done on DJI's website at https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

A code will be provided that can be input into the DJIGO4 app and that will allow flight for a limited time. Last I checked it was 3 days , but some on the forums report it is only 1 day (24 Hours) . If you wanted to fly again you would need to repeat the process and unlock again.

Hello and welcome from Ontario Canada to Mavic Pilots!
And enjoy your stay here, there is a wealth of information to be had so take your time and look around and enjoy reading all the great stuff you can do with your Mavic, :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have and remember the search tool is a great resource to see who may have had a similar issue or may offer a great tip.
Enjoy your day and happy flying :)

Well most of Venice is very congested,me personally I would never fly in such an area, very few places to take off and land, narrow passageways,water everywhere(Obviously), and people everywhere.
If you get the chance, get out to the nearby Dolomites where you have endless flying locations.

It appears that when checking the DJI Geo Zones map from thier website that Venice , Italy is within an Enhanced Warning Zone as a result of a large portion of it being within a 5 mile radius of an airport. This means when attempting flight one will see a message that flight is prohibited within the DJIGO4 app.

One can contact the tower for the airport and let them know your intention to fly and then unlock that zone to be able to fly. The unlocking is done on DJI's website at https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

A code will be provided that can be input into the DJIGO4 app and that will allow flight for a limited time. Last I checked it was 3 days , but some on the forums report it is only 1 day (24 Hours) . If you wanted to fly again you would need to repeat the process and unlock again.
That's really useful information. Thank you for your help. I'm there for 4 nights so a 3 day pass would be perfect. Thanks again.

Well most of Venice is very congested,me personally I would never fly in such an area, very few places to take off and land, narrow passageways,water everywhere(Obviously), and people everywhere.
If you get the chance, get out to the nearby Dolomites where you have endless flying locations.
That's great, thank you. I am lucky enough to have a roof terrace room at the hotel which is on the grand canal so take off and land should be okay.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy the Mavic Pro, have a safe trip! Fly safe and have fun!

Hi all,
I'm planning to fly next month to Venice and looked into information of the law restrictions there for flying drones as I wanted to take aerial shots of the city.
I have spoken to the Italian Aviation Authority (Enac) to a fellow named Riccardo Delise and this is what he told me:
For recreational pilots: He said that for all intents and purposes, hobbyists are forbidden to fly drones inside cities (like Venice :eek: ), above people and, surely in no flight zones (airports and such). Thus, as a general rule, in Italy you are only allowed to fly a drone outside cities and populated areas (Nature, parks, etc, unless there are specific restrictions for a certain place). For flying a drone in nature and outside the restricted areas, you don't need to have a license or a permit. That's legal!

However, if you would like to be allowed to fly inside cities and above populated areas, you would need to have an Italian Aviation Authority drone operator license. That's right, international drone pilot licenses are not recognized by ENAC. You would have to undergo a course and receive a certification from ENAC.
I guess this rules out also most licensed pilots from foreign countries. So long story short, no flying in the normally restricted zones + not above crowds + not in the city / populated areas. Other than that, no license or permit is required.

I claim no responsibility for the information given above nor does it constitute as advice of any type. I am only telling you guys what I was told by ENAC. If you fly to Italy, you are more than invited to call ENAC and ask for yourself. The guy in charge of the drone section there was very helpful and speaks English.

His name is Ricardo Delise and his telephone number is: +390644596657.

That's great, thank you. I am lucky enough to have a roof terrace room at the hotel which is on the grand canal so take off and land should be okay.

Which hotel is that?

Did you try to fly in Venice?

I was thinking away from the main islands, so maybe like Giudeca, which most tourists don’t even visit. Or perhaps Lido.

Currently in Tuscany now, about to go to Venice. Didn’t try to fly from Florence or Siena, where I’ve stayed on this trip. Been able to fly near some other hill towns like San Gimignano and Pienza, more off the side of rural roads surrounded by beautiful landscapes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000