DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in WY

xjjon

Reactions
Have a week+ trip to WY coming up to do some landscape photography at Grand Teton/Yellowstone but wanted to put aside some time for the drone as well.
Anyone have any suggestions for good places to fly? Obviously can't fly in the NP and wilderness areas but I don't mind driving out as well.

Cheers.

WY WY WY? :)

Onward and Upwards.

Going to the same area in a week, I will post my drone vids when we get back. There should be lots to see on the way to the parks.

Devils Tower (outside park views can be awesome) Bel Fouche River area nearby is scenic, old Sioux Indian stomping grounds, Black Hills extend into NE WY/ near Sundance is a Buffalo Jump where Sioux drove buffalo herds into a huge natural hole, Lander, Thermopolos (hot springs), Saratoga, Fort Laramie (cavalry post)/ Oregon Trail near by, Green River/Flaming Gorge, I-80 near Cheyenne/Laramie Vedauwoo - scenic rock formations (for old schoolers the setting fo the Black Pony series of kids books)- Trans-Continental Railroad sites nearby. Cheyenne= long prairie views- great sunrises and sunsets, Mammoth, WY- name says it all, prehistoric beasts, Wind Cave- no drone stuff inside but worth a personal stop. Millions of ideas depending on your taste and how far east you want to go, Galatin River near Yellowstone and tons of areas outside of Park, and Tetons. Can't miss. Hope this helps.

Reactions: xjjon
Hi, We just got back from a 3 week road trip thru SD, WY & MT. and saw many of the places Mavic Air Head listed above. Another beautiful must see is The Beartooth Pass (hwy 212). It is only open for 2 -3 months in the summer. From Yellowstone Park's Northeast gate go east on hwy 212 to Red Lodge, MT. It's a 68 mile winding road that takes you up to 10, 947 ft and has many great locations to fly. Also, the nightly rodeo in Cody is very entertaining. Enjoy your trip!BT Pass 8-19_A.jpgIMG_0019 (2).JPG

Hi, We just got back from a 3 week road trip thru SD, WY & MT. and saw many of the places Mavic Air Head listed above. Another beautiful must see is The Beartooth Pass (hwy 212). It is only open for 2 -3 months in the summer. From Yellowstone Park's Northeast gate go east on hwy 212 to Red Lodge, MT. It's a 68 mile winding road that takes you up to 10, 947 ft and has many great locations to fly. Also, the nightly rodeo in Cody is very entertaining. Enjoy your trip!View attachment 80277View attachment 80278

Thanks for the suggestions.

@TBird, where's the location for the first photo? Looks beautiful, is it near the road? Or can it be overnight backpacked?

Thanks for the suggestions.

@TBird, where's the location for the first photo? Looks beautiful, is it near the road? Or can it be overnight backpacked?
It was taken near the parking area at top. No hiking necessary. Look for the 10,947 summit sign at the parking lot. I only did one a one battery flight. There are other areas to fly on the way up and down from the summit too.
Have fun
Rod

Thanks again for the advice. Hope I will have stuff to share with you all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya