DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying indoors

Just go into menu click on the sensor icon and switch them off , when flying indoors without gps the mavic uses the bottom cameras to hold position

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
If you are new to drones - then my advice is DON'T DO IT!!! Flying indooors generally removes most of the capability of the Drone to use its GPS positioning (as it can't lock on as many satellites), and floor surfaces don't seem to suit the visual and ultra-sonic sensors the Mavic uses to sense it's height. Also if you do something like inadvertantly trigger the Return To Home (e.g. when the battery gets low), it will want to head up and wipe out your lighting fixtures.
Get it outside in a wide open space until you are intimate with exactly how it moves!
If you really MUST do this - hit YouTube and watch everything you can about how to fly indoors. If you also watch the drone-crash videos on YT, you'll see a good number of indoor disasters there and may get some hints as to what not to do ...

I am wanting to fly indoors and I have guards on the blades. It will not really go anywhere do to all the sensors. Is there a setting I need to set to in order to fly and the sensors not stop it. I have the mavic pro 2.

Go buy a Blade Inductrix quad FPV with screen and transmitter for$150 so when you crash it won’t hurt so much. And I will guess you will crash. Your question tells me you are a new pilot AND that you didn’t bother to read the manual. A recipe for disaster

Reactions: Former Member
If you are new to drones - then my advice is DON'T DO IT!!! Flying indooors generally removes most of the capability of the Drone to use its GPS positioning (as it can't lock on as many satellites), and floor surfaces don't seem to suit the visual and ultra-sonic sensors the Mavic uses to sense it's height. Also if you do something like inadvertantly trigger the Return To Home (e.g. when the battery gets low), it will want to head up and wipe out your lighting fixtures.
Get it outside in a wide open space until you are intimate with exactly how it moves!
If you really MUST do this - hit YouTube and watch everything you can about how to fly indoors. If you also watch the drone-crash videos on YT, you'll see a good number of indoor disasters there and may get some hints as to what not to do ...
I've had no trouble flying my M2Z in larger indoor spaces, my most recent being in a fairgrounds Expo building near our model train layout. It used VPS and was about as stable as GPS, perhaps better. With VPS, it will limit height to about 10ft or so since that's the reliable range of VPS.
M2 uses IR for top and bottom proximity sensing rather than ultrasound. With OA on, it will want to keep 3ft clearance, particularly ceiling clearance.

I have also flown it in our model train club site, but couldn't do much there as ceiling was too low and space too narrow because of the 3ft clearance.

In conclusion, do be careful indoors, set your RTH fail-safe to hover. Otherwise it's doable indoors, particularly in large spaces.

I've had no trouble flying my M2Z in larger indoor spaces, my most recent being in a fairgrounds Expo building near our model train layout. It used VPS and was about as stable as GPS, perhaps better. With VPS, it will limit height to about 10ft or so since that's the reliable range of VPS.
M2 uses IR for top and bottom proximity sensing rather than ultrasound. With OA on, it will want to keep 3ft clearance, particularly ceiling clearance.

I have also flown it in our model train club site, but couldn't do much there as ceiling was too low and space too narrow because of the 3ft clearance.

In conclusion, do be careful indoors, set your RTH fail-safe to hover. Otherwise it's doable indoors, particularly in large spaces.

No disrespect intended but can you elaborate on your RC experience? How long have you been flying, etc? Do you do it for a living? Im just asking because flying indoors is challenging to me, and many others, especially with no GPS assistance, and I have been flying helis for 15 years.

How big is the space you are going to fly it in? I have a Tello for indoors, and thats still scary to fly around all the obstacles.
I use TELLO for practice flying indoor. Great little drone, light and very strong, took a lot of abuse/crashes and still performs fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh