DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors

Eyeonyou

Reactions
Will lots of metal effect Mavic flying indoors without gps?

I’ve been flying for years but only outdoors. My employer wants me to fly around there huge warehouse. It’s a massive metal building with all sorts of metal structures in there along with in the floor. There won’t be any gps. But I wasn’t sure if the metal effects the compass indoors without gps or does the compass not working when you have no gps?

you will get compass errors and only be in atti mode with no GPS this could be a problem if there is any air movement inside the building as it will cause the drone to drift, for me the biggest issue would be if at some point you suddenly got a GPS lock, which could conflict with erroneous compass readings and cause a sudden loss of control and cause it to crash

There will be no wind in the building. And no gps at anytime. So yes it will be in altitude hold mode. Which I’m a where of and flew with that many times with my old phantom outdoors. My question is is the compass effected or even in use when there’s no gps? It has senors on the bottom so it shouldn’t drift around.

Reactions: old man mavic
ok then go for it good luck

Reactions: redserv
Will lots of metal effect Mavic flying indoors without gps?
I have flown indoors... inside a metal pole barn. I just wanted to see what would happen. It's a great way to burn down fully charged batteries on a rainy day. Also practice hand catching, and flying in a straight line "crab" style

No particular errors but no GPS, WiFi or Cellular. Of course It was extremely stable as there was no wind and the downward vision sensors were in play. Since the barn has only a 12 foot ceiling and is only 40ft wide x 60ft long, I set my RTH action to hover. Never lost sight of it, though!?

I've flown inside a barn conversion of a wedding venue after I fitted all the flooring there.
Started outside but couldn't get it to fly through the patio doors....proximity sensors....after a quick land and switch off of sensors i was able to try again.
This time in through the patio doors, through a smallish bar area, through a single doorway which was the hardest, down the length of the main room and then out backwards through 1 of the large bi-fold doors to pan out to the whole building.
Might I add that barn had wooden beams and all the doors were composite not metal.
It was more for my confidence of been able to do it ???

If you can take off away from metal and not get close to metal during flight, then you shouldn't have compass issues, unless the building is so shielded that earth magnetic field can't get through.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
White Smoke