DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying legally over crowds

As a hobbyists to fly with an FAA approved parachute is a great start for myself. However those that pay to play lawyers are always needed.

In a couple months hopefully sUAV safety standards are a little more transparent.

I wonder how many real failures with a parachute deployment are successful.
I mean you have to have a mechanical failure with a signal to still open the chute.
Most if not all crashing done on here are pilot error cfit / or signal loss.

Someone less educated would read this and automatically think they are entitled to fly over crowds if they have a parachute attached to their UAS. The article doesn’t mention 107/FAA waivers so in my opinion this is very misleading.

Tried it today and got knicked:rolleyes: I now realise this was for the states flyers and not for uk flyers, yep I’m one of those “less educated” individuals;)

Reactions: Slim.slamma
And because CNN posted a multi-million dollar bond in case of accident
Key components of the waiver
Was the parachute not insurance.

A billion dollar bond and no chute, would have been a different story for CNN

Tried it today and got knicked:rolleyes: I now realise this was for the states flyers and not for uk flyers, yep I’m one of those “less educated” individuals;)
I thought I noticed something from CASA I could be wrong but I’ll ask some sources

Reactions: Porky
CNN was required to do both (bond and parachute). Either one alone was not an option.
Part 107 Waivers Issued
See if we can dig up some copies.
CNN was a tethered flight so I could be a little off with them.
Hopefully I can speak with a individual involved in the Monroe NY waiver approval this weekend
Knowledge is a Key

If you are interested in getting a waiver, look at the webinars found at:
Webinars
The last one describes the waiver process for flying over people.

Slim.slamma got one part right. I believe the FAA was saying 80 to 90 percent of waiver applications are rejected because they are not properly prepared. For any waiver, the pilot (who yes, has to be 107 licensed) has to clearly state each reason for why the restriction is in place, then has to explain how this is to be mitigated. (As a hint, for a Visual Line Of Sight waiver, using the drone's camera is not adequate.) My guess is that you would need multiple triggers for the parachute, an automatic lock on the propellers on parachute deployment and test results showing that the systems work and can drop the drone into a crowd without significant risk of injury. Just having a parachute will not cut it.

The Indemnis system is intended to be the core of a parachute-based safety mitigation plan for a waiver, and can also help provide one path forward for advanced operations as the FAA considers how to allow routine flights directly over people.

According to Indemnis, it was required to pass a series of 45 functionality tests spread across five drone failure scenarios. Testing took place at New York's Griffiss International Airport in a controlled airspace; the Northeast UAS Airspace Integration Research Alliance oversaw the process.

My guess is that you would need multiple triggers for the parachute, an automatic lock on the propellers on parachute deployment and test results showing that the systems work
Correct you are

Indemnis &
SafeAir Phantom - ParaZero

That's an apt choice of words.

But there's a reason that only 13 have been issued.
I actually spoke to a human about waivers, and came away thinking the main reason may just be that they are EXTREMELY understaffed. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Fly safe.

Reactions: Horace G Hill Sr
Hello Slim.slamma - Could you please tell me if you have a source for a parachute that would work on a Mavic 2 Pro Zoom, And, if you have a source or reference confirming you can fly over crowds if you pack a parachute. Thanks!
The website Fruity chutes is where i got mine mavic2 and Inspire1 pro its a great aset to have on Every level especially when we live in a sue happy world,the chute is a confidence booster for sure,the expense is worth the peace of mind you get knowing, if an anomaly happens there a contingency plan .

I actually spoke to a human about waivers, and came away thinking the main reason may just be that they are EXTREMELY understaffed.
Out of more than 2000 waivers granted (up to Sept 2018), only 13 were for flying over people.
Understaffed or not, they have been able to approve more than 2000 waivers but only 13 were for flying over people.
It's not an easy waiver to get.

I wouldn’t put my faith in this unless it was clearly posted on the FAA website. I would bet that flying over crowds (US) is still against FAA guidelines. (Hint: it’s all about money)
No, its about safety for those below the drone.

Hello Slim.slamma - Could you please tell me if you have a source for a parachute that would work on a Mavic 2 Pro Zoom, And, if you have a source or reference confirming you can fly over crowds if you pack a parachute. Thanks!
Hi Laylake,
ParaZero has a parachute system for the Mavic 2 coming out in a couple months. You can see the promo video for the Phantom here:
, the two systems (for Phantom and Mavic) are very similar to each other.
No parachute will automatically allow legal flight over people, but parachutes are a good way to mitigate the risk if you are planning on applying for a waiver. The ParaZero systems will have an optional add-on package with compliance documentation for ASTM Standard F3322-18 for sUAS parachutes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh