DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying low? GO SLOW!

Former Member

Reactions
I have found a consistency in a majority of drones that I repair. Two things that are abundantly clear are that they were flying low and slow, and they were in sport mode.

1. If you are flying low, fly slow! - Flying low and close to objects is a very risky venture. Even with all the advanced sensors in the Mavic 2, it is still not foolproof. The sensors will keep you out of trouble, but only if you are in Tripod mode, and dont push the sensors' limits.
The sensors can pick up most objects, but not all. Thats why I try to tell as many people as I can to use prop guards, and also, take it easy! If the drone starts drifting into something, let go of the sticks! It wont crash itself, but it will be happy to let you crash it. The sensors and prop guards are there to help you. I think you should let them.​

2. Sport Mode - Ok, it's fun to zip around at 45mph, oblivious to everything, and just having fun. If you are flying at 350' and have nothing to hit, have at it.​
However, you shouldnt try that at low altitudes. Your reaction time might be a little delayed, and if that happens, and you are doing anything over 30mph and your sensors arent helping you, youre going to make a flaming hole in the ground. If you want to do a low altitude fly by, maybe get a racing drone, or a Tello. There is just too much to lose with your $1500 Mavic.​
Sport mode has its merits, but as far as Im concerned, not close to the ground. You are disabling those sensors that DJI engineers spent countless hours on trying to help you avoid crashes, and disabling them, and exposing yourself to risk.​
Hope everyone is enjoying the spring as much as I am.​
Best,​
Rob​

Last edited:
I have found a consistency in a majority of drones that I repair. Two things that are abundantly clear are that they were flying low and slow, and they were in sport mode.

1. If you are flying low, fly slow! - Flying low and close to objects is a very risky venture. Even with all the advanced sensors in the Mavic 2, it is still not foolproof. The sensors will keep you out of trouble, but only if you are in Tripod mode, and dont push the sensors' limits.
The sensors can pick up most objects, but not all. Thats why I try to tell as many people as I can to use prop guards, and also, take it easy! If the drone starts drifting into something, let go of the sticks! It wont crash itself, but it will be happy to let you crash it. The sensors and prop guards are there to help you. I think you should let them.​

2. Sport Mode - Ok, it's fun to zip around at 45mph, oblivious to everything, and just having fun. If you are flying at 350' and have nothing to hit, have at it.​
However, you shouldnt try that at low altitudes. Your reaction time might be a little delayed, and if that happens, and you are doing anything over 30mph and your sensors arent helping you, youre going to make a flaming hole in the ground. If you want to do a low altitude fly by, maybe get a racing drone, or a Tello. There is just too much to lose with your $1500 Mavic.​
Sport mode has its merits, but as far as Im concerned, not close to the ground. You are taking all those countless hours that DJI spent trying to help you avoid crashes, and disabling them, and exposing yourself to risk.​
Hope everyone is enjoying the spring as much as I am.​
Best,​
Rob​
good advice Rob i am sure you have enough repairs to do, and it is great that you try to help others avoid having to use your services,not many would do that great job

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh