DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying low out of sight

Victorjm

Reactions
Its 2 weeks now i have the mavic pro and love.flying it around my city however im kinda getting bored with it as i would like to use it to explore ... Like flying it low in parks and places i cant get too but noticed as i beggin to decend i start losing connection ... Does anyone know if i get an antenna mod will it help this issue ??? Like for instance if i fly low at about a 2000m away distance will the antenna mod like evolite or atlas help me not lose video at lower alltitudes ?

Its 2 weeks now i have the mavic pro and love.flying it around my city however im kinda getting bored with it as i would like to use it to explore ... Like flying it low in parks and places i cant get too but noticed as i beggin to decend i start losing connection ... Does anyone know if i get an antenna mod will it help this issue ??? Like for instance if i fly low at about a 2000m away distance will the antenna mod like evolite or atlas help me not lose video at lower alltitudes ?
You asked a loaded question :)

There are many variables with radio transmissions, but at low altitudes you need to maintain line-of-sight for a strong signal and often this is difficult to achieve unless you and the remote controller are at an elevated position.

Attached is a paper I wrote giving an overview of the Fresnel zone for drone pilots. This phenomenon alone accounts for most of the low altitude radio issues. But back to your original question, adding a directional antenna and radio amplifier to your remote controller does improve the radio link in almost all situations. But your mileage will vary depending on the environment.

Attachments

• Fresnel-Zone-for-Drone-Pilots.pdf
    976.3 KB · Views: 135
You asked a loaded question :)

There are many variables with radio transmissions, but at low altitudes you need to maintain line-of-sight for a strong signal and often this is difficult to achieve unless you and the remote controller are at an elevated position.

Attached is a paper I wrote giving an overview of the Fresnel zone for drone pilots. This phenomenon alone accounts for most of the low altitude radio issues. But back to your original question, adding a directional antenna and radio amplifier to your remote controller does improve the radio link in almost all situations. But your mileage will vary depending on the environment.
Here is a video
Around the 1:20 mark you ll see that i tried to land it about 1300m away at my friends apartment or at least get dowm so i can call him out to see my drone but youll see it never made it down there ... Question is with antenna amplifiers will i be able to do it ???

Here is a video
Around the 1:20 mark you ll see that i tried to land it about 1300m away at my friends apartment or at least get dowm so i can call him out to see my drone but youll see it never made it down there ... Question is with antenna amplifiers will i be able to do it ???

I avoid flying over highways, motorways, main roads etc. I am not sure if there are rules/regulations about it, but I dread to think if my drone suddenly drops or lands on critical battery over those roads, where cars are travelling like 60mph and cause a major accident.

Before sending your aircraft flying out of your visual line-of-sight, visit the FAA website and master the guidelines and regulations for small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). Keep the following in mind - straight from the FAA website: "Anyone flying a drone is responsible for flying within FAA guidelines and regulations. That means it is up to you as a drone pilot to know the Rules of the Sky, and where it is and is not safe to fly." ( Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) ).
For instance:
* Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle.
* Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain with in VLOS of the visual observer.
* At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

Before sending your aircraft flying out of your visual line-of-sight, visit the FAA website and master the guidelines and regulations for small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). Keep the following in mind - straight from the FAA website: "Anyone flying a drone is responsible for flying within FAA guidelines and regulations. That means it is up to you as a drone pilot to know the Rules of the Sky, and where it is and is not safe to fly." ( Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) ).
For instance:
* Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle.
* Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain with in VLOS of the visual observer.
* At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.
He's in Russia I believe, and they may have other rules. What ever the rules the OP and so many others in all parts of the world fly well outside of the rules and regs in those countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT Von Richthoven
Well, seeing as no one has answered you, the answer is no. If you were in the desert or over a lake, or over the ocean, well then yes, but over all those obstructions, well then no.

Reactions: Drone on
Short and sweet NO! Longer answer, NO, Think Line of Sight! If you can’t see it, you are not within the normal rules. Radio Waves travel from point of origin to receiver and if those radio waves encounter an obstacle, they bounce off it and do not reach the receiver! Same as walker talkies, cellular, CB Radio, Ham Radio, etc. Line of Sight, without repeaters!

Flying low you will always lose reception. Too many variables. you have trees you have homes that are going to interfere with the signal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun