DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic 3 in Italy.

caronfd

Reactions
I have just purchased a DJI Mavic 3 and I am going to France and Italy (basically Italy). I am from the US so I'm not an EU citizen. I plan to fly my drone in the south of France (Mediterranean area) and in Italy: Cinque Terre, Pisa, San Giminiano, Siena and Tuscani Region. I have to tell I'm lost. I understand I need to register my drone for the European Community (EASA) and it can be done in any member country. In Italy it has do be done through D-flight (apparently) and the price would range from 6 euro to 95 euro. But I have read VARIOUS threads of complains that they ask for a kind of ITIN number in Italy and that they cannot move on without that number so it is a dead end.
I also read that registering in France is easier since they have info in English but it is through Alpha Tango website, where I read : Drone pilots operating a remotely piloted aircraft of 800g or more (my Mavic 3) for recreational purposes must undergo training. This training can be: (1) the Fox AlphaTango training offered by the DGAC or (2) training provided by the FFAM or UFOLEP recognized as equivalent by the DGAC.
Obviously I will fly VLOS. My questions are:
1- Does anyone have gone recently to Italy or France? Can help with how to register? (More than just giving the link to EASA or ENAC)?
2- Do I have to have an insurance? If yes, where could I purchase one?
3- The geozones in France (from the French authority) seems to show that everywhere is a red no-fly zone (I checked the cities of Grasse, Montpelier, Nice and there is no area I can fly the drone). Has anyone flown recently in France or Italy? Does DJI Geo Zone also limits that much? In my DJI app I see much less limitations.

Thanks
Fernando

Big tip… get a Mini 3. Register in France, & then you’re free to fly anywhere in Europe. BUT, don’t break any rules or laws. You’ll know them all as they are in the online test are can be different from USA or Australia.

Reactions: KI5RLL
Big tip… get a Mini 3. Register in France, & then you’re free to fly anywhere in Europe. BUT, don’t break any rules or laws. You’ll know them all as they are in the online test are can be different from USA or Australia.
Thanks for the tips!
I finally got my pilot test and registration through Luxemburg. Now I got my registration. If I understood ALL the training and laws, during the transition period until December 2023 I could fly only A3, which means far far away from buildings and people. And, as you said, after January 2024, only if you have a drone <= 250 g (DJI Mini 3) you will be able to fly closer or will be stuck to A3.
Any tips on insurance ?

Thanks for the tips!
I finally got my pilot test and registration through Luxemburg. Now I got my registration. If I understood ALL the training and laws, during the transition period until December 2023 I could fly only A3, which means far far away from buildings and people. And, as you said, after January 2024, only if you have a drone <= 250 g (DJI Mini 3) you will be able to fly closer or will be stuck to A3.
Any tips on insurance ?
I'm going to Italy soon myself and was hoping to bring my Mavic. I've looked over several sites that outline the process, and it seems incredibly confusing. In the States it was pretty straightforward, but Italy makes you jump through a lot of hoops. Can I ask, what was your experience like, and would you have any recommendations for how to go about it? I'm only flying recreationally for a week, I don't know that I want to go through an expensive course to get registered if I don't have to.

Thanks so much,

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu