DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mini 3 Pro in hot climates

chiangmaicharlies

Reactions
I live in northern Thailand with temperatures above 33°C most of the year. I want to upgrade to a Mini 3 Pro, but have seen numerous posts that it overheats and does forced landings when hot.

I have also seen a number of post where Mini 3 flyers swear that using extension legs, and then floats, have proved very successful. I am happy to go along with this, as it would also raise the Mini 3 about 2 inches above the ground, which would seem to be very useful in avoiding dust, grass, etc.

I welcome flyers to contribute their experiences here, to help me, and other flyers in similar locations.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Understanding that there is no Fan inside the Mini 3 Pro is why this is so quick to Over Heat.

I would not advise getting the Mini 3 Pro as you are likely to have to Negotiate this issue many times.

There are so many other drones that would be a better fit .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Understanding that there is no Fan inside the Mini 3 Pro is why this is so quick to Over Heat.

I would not advise getting the Mini 3 Pro as you are likely to have to Negotiate this issue many times.

There are so many other drones that would be a better fit .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Agreed, I was contemplating purchasing a Mini 3 as it is otherwise a great little drone. However I thought I would have issues with it in the DFW area.

Last edited:
Here are some annoying things I have had issues with :

I fly a lot from inside my car : I start the drone place it ontop of the hood and than get everything ready and if I am not quick about it or i start catching an email , the drone I worry about the Overheating . You would be surprised how many times I get interrupted before I take off , at least in my world and have got caught a few times with the drone overheating.

But this is what kills me I go to fly and I have to get an Unlock code and it takes to long or I have an update I have to do , now I am not saying it always over heats , because it does not, but the stress of worrying about that is real.

I find myself doing everything quicker , even my girl friend will blow on my drone as a joke, or is it ? ? lol

Once its in the Air your good , but I would not want to hover to long in any day over 90 degree heat that much I can say. Thankfully I have other drones that can Negotiate the extreme heat so much better,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Once its in the Air your good , but I would not want to hover to long in any day over 90 degree heat that much I can say. Thankfully I have other drones that can Negotiate the extreme heat so much better,
The Mini 3 Pro is designed to be vented when airborne. Clearly, hot weather is more challenging, but when either the wind through movement, weather or and that is the point I am making when hovering, the drone gets its ventilation through the props downwashing the air.

For sure another fan would not hurt but considering the weight restriction (< 250 g) it relies for cooling on this "passive" concept.

Besides that, with the firmware updates, DJI improved a lot and you are now only likely to get an overheat warning when using the camera stationary. If you don't have the image sensor activated, ie not using DJI Fly before, it has a longer period of cool internals.

for screen glareI live in northern Thailand with temperatures above 33°C most of the year. I want to upgrade to a Mini 3 Pro, but have seen numerous posts that it overheats and does forced landings when hot.

I have also seen a number of post where Mini 3 flyers swear that using extension legs, and then floats, have proved very successful. I am happy to go along with this, as it would also raise the Mini 3 about 2 inches above the ground, which would seem to be very useful in avoiding dust, grass, etc.

I welcome flyers to contribute their experiences here, to help me, and other flyers in similar locations.

Hi,
I’m also in your location.
I fly the mini 3 and always try to shade it with my shadow untill taking off, as it can quickly get hot if you leave it in the sun and mess around with the menu settings before taking off..
Hovering for a length of time will also cause it to get hot, personally I’ve never had heat warnings while my drone is flying.
I always sit a small fan beside the mini 3, for any firmware updates.
Mini 3 is a great drone.

I live in northern Thailand with temperatures above 33°C most of the year. I want to upgrade to a Mini 3 Pro, but have seen numerous posts that it overheats and does forced landings when hot.

Reactions: Gary R
No issue - once its airborne you have cooling from the props and wind, especially if its moving.
Ive operated mine at 40c plenty of times and its not been a problem.
Dont leave it turned on sitting on the ground in direct sun for too long before flight but that was the same with other drones too.

I'd ignore "advice" from paid advertisers saying "dont buy it" - its generally just an excuse for a post in as many threads as possible for publicity reasons.

Vivo en el norte de Tailandia con temperaturas superiores a los 33°C la mayor parte del año. Quiero actualizar a un Mini 3 Pro, pero he visto numerosas publicaciones de que se sobrecalienta y hace aterrizajes forzados cuando hace calor.

También he visto una serie de publicaciones en las que los volantes de Mini 3 juran que el uso de patas de extensión y luego flotadores ha tenido mucho éxito. Estoy feliz de estar de acuerdo con esto, ya que también elevaría el Mini 3 unas 2 pulgadas sobre el suelo, lo que parece ser muy útil para evitar el polvo, la hierba, etc.

Doy la bienvenida a los volantes para que contribuyan con sus experiencias aquí, para ayudarme, y otros volantes en lugares similares.

Gracias de antemano por tus aportes.
Si alguien en el chat no tiene el manual del Mini 3 Pro en español, puedo compartir, me piden a mi correo: [email protected]
soy de Ecuador (Jaime Zapata). Será un gusto compartir, también en Inglés. El manual del kit es muy elemental. No es completo.

Si alguien en el chat no tiene el manual del Mini 3 Pro en español, puedo compartir, me piden a mi correo: [email protected]
Soy de Ecuador (Jaime Zapata). Será un gusto compartir, también en inglés. El manual del kit es muy elemental. No es completo.
Te recomiendo además no volarlo en modo cine o normal, usa el sport, va más rápido y se autoventila por las ranuras anteriores; hélices originales y revisar el ajuste antes de cada vuelo. Lo he volado hasta con registro de 53 grados centígrados en el control, uso el control con pantalla.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Te recomiendo además no volarlo en modo cine o normal, usa el sport, va más rápido y se autoventila por las ranuras anteriores; hélices originales y revisar el ajuste antes de cada vuelo. Lo he volado hasta con registro de 53 grados centígrados en el control, uso el control con pantalla.

Translation:

I also recommend you not to fly it in cinema or normal mode, use sport, it goes faster and it self-vents through the previous slots; original propellers and check fit before each flight. I have flown it up to 53 degrees Celsius in the control, I use the control with the screen.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Reactions: miniflyer

Hand launch & hand land - no problems with dust and debris that way. The Mini 3 Pro is a little darling for this and really behaves itself.

The Mini 3 Pro is designed to be vented when airborne. Clearly, hot weather is more challenging, but when either the wind through movement, weather or and that is the point I am making when hovering, the drone gets its ventilation through the props downwashing the air.

For sure another fan would not hurt but considering the weight restriction (< 250 g) it relies for cooling on this "passive" concept.

Besides that, with the firmware updates, DJI improved a lot and you are now only likely to get an overheat warning when using the camera stationary. If you don't have the image sensor activated, ie not using DJI Fly before, it has a longer period of cool internals.
Only likely to get an overheat warning when using the camera stationary.
A complete recipe for disaster and not going to cut it,as still photos are taken with
the drone hovering.The 250 g weight restriction really does not mean as much as it used to
since it is now broadcasting RID anyway,a topic for a different thread.

I have a Mini3Pro and I fly it here in Miami. Similar climate to Thailand, yes.
I use the Plus batteries so that I have 35-40 mins flight time per battery.
I have not had any overheating issues!
Yes, its air cooled (no fan) so the idea is that when moving the moving air cools it down but I have not had any issues with overheating so I cannot comment on the problem. I have even been hovering stationary to take still photos for a few mins... no issues. So far there has always been some breeze or slight wind. So maybe the experience is different if the a no wind at all.

Only likely to get an overheat warning when using the camera stationary.
A complete recipe for disaster and not going to cut it, as still photos are taken with
the drone hovering.
This thought keeps getting posted here, and it puzzles me. The thinking seems to be that when the M3P is hovering, then there is no wind cooling the drone because the drone is stationary. But this ignores the downward blast of air from the propellers, which cools the drone just fine.

This thought keeps getting posted here, and it puzzles me. The thinking seems to be that when the M3P is hovering, then there is no wind cooling the drone because the drone is stationary. But this ignores the downward blast of air from the propellers, which cools the drone just fine.
Kind of a touchy subject if it does indeed keep it cool enough.However one can't argue
the fact that sitting on a desk doing a firmware update does in fact basically require a fan
of some type to prevent a shutdown due to overheating.And this should not have to happen.

Kind of a touchy subject if it does indeed keep it cool enough. However one can't argue
the fact that sitting on a desk doing a firmware update does in fact basically require a fan
of some type to prevent a shutdown due to overheating. And this should not have to happen.
Yes, I certainly agree that overheating when the props are not spinning is a design flaw. My point is simply that this is never the case when the drone is hovering. What many folks seem to forget (or not know) is that most of the air which cools the drone after takeoff does not come from the drone moving through the air, but from the propellers. This can be proven by comparing the speed of the down blast from the propellers to the flying velocity of the drone.

It's a bit amusing that people say that updates on a table top are fine with a fan, but contend that the drone will overheat if it has four fans blowing over it strongly enough to lift it off the table and hover.

I've had no overheating problems with the M3P on the Gulf coast during summer.

The idea that adding landing gear or floats would reduce overheating just doesn't make sense. Don't put too much faith in youtube videos from people with scanty evidence and poor logic. I recall hearing that some people were advocating putting the drone in a refrigerator before or during updates. Use a fan if you're concerned.

I've had no issues with dust or debris launching and landing the M3P from the ground, though I am more careful to select flat surfaces than with the other drones.

Reactions: Joe Horn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian