DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying MV2 with Crystal Sky.

I own the Crystal Sky 7.85' version. The downsize I have found is the portability. Along with carrying the Crystal Sky I have it attached to the PolarPro mount all the time. I keep it mounted because the mount cannot be fasten quickly. This makes the Crystal Sky with mount another chuck of equipment to lug around. The PolarPro mount is fasten with two screws to the Crystal Sky as opposed to a slip on or snap on type of mount. I also find the touchscreen could work better. It sometimes it does not have the sensitivity on the touch screen as my iPad ; but it functions ok.

The upsides , I think outweigh the two points I have just listed. Trying to fly your drone using your phone on a sunny day is difficult. With your Crystal Sky , this issues is non existent. This is the biggest positive. The screen size vs using a phone is another big positive. An issue of using your phone is that it is very irritating getting a call while flying. The other option , of turning of telephone function while flying is one that may not be viable to some people.
The Crystal Sky also have many functions that are very useful. I'm very happy with it.

Another option to consider are the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses. The Moverio will connect directly to your drone radio controller and the glasses will project a giant screen from within the glasses. Look it up... it kind of cool.

As far what I have experienced , yes. Crystal Sky works like if it was an iPad. You just need to make sure that the DJI Go 4 app ( android version ) is updated, your controller and Mavic firmware are also all updated.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I own the Crystal Sky 7.85' version. The downsize I have found is the portability. Along with carrying the Crystal Sky I have it attached to the PolarPro mount all the time. I keep it mounted because the mount cannot be fasten quickly. This makes the Crystal Sky with mount another chuck of equipment to lug around. The PolarPro mount is fasten with two screws to the Crystal Sky as opposed to a slip on or snap on type of mount. I also find the touchscreen could work better. It sometimes it does not have the sensitivity on the touch screen as my iPad ; but it functions ok.

The upsides , I think outweigh the two points I have just listed. Trying to fly your drone using your phone on a sunny day is difficult. With your Crystal Sky , this issues is non existent. This is the biggest positive. The screen size vs using a phone is another big positive. An issue of using your phone is that it is very irritating getting a call while flying. The other option , of turning of telephone function while flying is one that may not be viable to some people.
The Crystal Sky also have many functions that are very useful. I'm very happy with it.

Another option to consider are the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses. The Moverio will connect directly to your drone radio controller and the glasses will project a giant screen from within the glasses. Look it up... it kind of cool.

Sergio, you cannot blame CR for selecting wrong mount ;)

But seriously, I look for sometime till I found mount which works for me. I decided to go with LifThor Sif CS II plus DJI CrystalSky Remote Controller Mounting Bracket and I have mounting bracket with quick release. Big advantage is I still see display on my RC and have easy access to all controls on RC.

The latest cell phones like iPhone X or Samsung S9 have displays which will produce 1000 nits or more so they will work well on sunny days but they are still nowhere close to CS UB. In addition, CR is equipped with few USB ports, micro SD card slots and it is very handy when you travel and use it to backup you footage. One can copy files from one SD card to another or just copy them to your external USB hard-drive. No need to drag a laptop or additional backup device. At end of the day I can easly copy all my files from MP, OSMO Pocket or GoPro Hero cameras to my 1TB Samsung T5 SSD, very portable and functional solution.

Personally, I prefer to buy devices which are design for specific task just because I believe that multi-purpose devices do many thing but none particularly well.

20180828_212351.jpg

few more things...
Pros: you can't compare prices of iPhone X and CS; you don't get bothered with notifications or popups from your phone while flying; video codecs are optimised for video streaming, so faster and precise streaming while flying; telephone's battery will not be depleted (you still can use phone's hotspot capability to assure internet connettivity to CS through WiFi).

Cons: external USB cable needed with CS (you need to be careful to protect it from accidental disconnetcion).

Thank you for this! I bought the 7.85 version and love it. Curious, why do you need internet connectivity with hotspot? Do you want this while flying?

Reactions: Cpt.Barbossa1072
Thank you for this! I bought the 7.85 version and love it. Curious, why do you need internet connectivity with hotspot? Do you want this while flying?
mainly because of mapping of the area you are flying in. Secondly for updating the safety areas database.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato