DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying my Mavic Air Indoors

Sixdollars

Reactions
I've had my Mavic Air for about 6 Months and have flown it about 30 times, so I've become somewhat less anxious than i was earlier in the progress. Here in Colorado, it's become pretty cold and windy and that has been somewhat limiting. I've joined a Electric Aircraft Fliers group that has a sanctioned flying field and, once a month, they have a gynasium that they fly in. It's a basketball court and I would guess that it's about 25-30 feet high. I went there last Sunday and enjoyed the guys, but didn't take my Air with me. I'd like some input as to whether it is a good idea to fly an Air in this situation. I'm thinking about working on Figure 8's and the like.

From the view point that you don't have GPS lock the downward sensors will help keeping the drone hoovering steadily (Opti mode).

The operating range for those sensors are:
Altitude Range: 0.1 – 8 meters (0.3 to 26 feet).
Operating Range: 0.5 – 30 meters (1.6 to 98 feet).

The problem here are ground/floor texture for the sensors to lock on ... if to smooth or equal colored the sensors can have a hard time to lock leading to drifting or actually switch over to atti mode.

One other, which i'm only suspecting ... what if you suddenly lock on to some satellites, enough to go to P-mode, but initially have really poor location precision. Will that lead to sudden quick shifts in position as the precision gets better?

With all this I should be really careful & keep the drone really low & close if I had to use it indoors ... preferably I should avoid it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54