DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near an antenna farm

PhotobyWD

Reactions
Yesterday I took a short trip to the highest point on the island I live on and grew up on. There is a water tower there and we would climb to the top when we were kids. The view in all directions was awesome. Although I am to old to climb it today I took the drone to get some shots. Much to my disappointment when I arrived I found the site was an antenna farm, five or six cell towers that looked like every type of antenna imaginable were mounted on them. I decided not to fly and risk my drone. My question is would it be safe to fly by these antenna towers if so how far from them would be safe? Thanks in advance to any one knowledgeable enough to this question.

I guess it really would depend on just what type of towers you are dealing with . I fly around ours all the time and have never had any issues . The only one I can see having one other than hitting guide wires if you were trying to do a POI and be to low and get behind it and it go into RTH and you not have RTH set higher than the antennas. Here are the types I fly around just to show ya .
Some of those look small but that will fool ya .This from another one I did and just a screenshot
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 8.39.44 AM.png

Thanks, that's about what they look like accept they also have what I think are FM and 2 way radio antennas on them. So you are saying radio waves should not interfere? I would hate to have a fly away. This area is very wooded also so a fly away could be a disaster. Going home without photos is one thing but going home without my drone is not acceptable. Thanks for your reply; Bill Love the ZZ top!

Reactions: dirkclod
All I can say is you saw what I do and really no idea just what is transmitted from those or what power
but we have members that fly them all the time . Some make their living or do it as part of their job inspecting them . And I understand your concern but have been flying them when I was flying P2V's and then P3S which are both wifi so I see no issues .
YMMV

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I guess it really would depend on just what type of towers you are dealing with . I fly around ours all the time and have never had any issues . The only one I can see having one other than hitting guide wires if you were trying to do a POI and be to low and get behind it and it go into RTH and you not have RTH set higher than the antennas. Here are the types I fly around just to show ya .
Some of those look small but that will fool ya .This from another one I did and just a screenshot
View attachment 62659
All I can say is you saw what I do and really no idea just what is transmitted from those or what power
but we have members that fly them all the time . Some make their living or do it as part of their job inspecting them . And I understand your concern but have been flying them when I was flying P2V's and then P3S which are both wifi so I see no issues .
YMMV

Thank You. I'm sorry what does "YMMV" stand for???
Your Milage May Vary . I meant not every location is the same .What works for me might not for you .

Yesterday I took a short trip to the highest point on the island I live on and grew up on. There is a water tower there and we would climb to the top when we were kids. The view in all directions was awesome. Although I am to old to climb it today I took the drone to get some shots. Much to my disappointment when I arrived I found the site was an antenna farm, five or six cell towers that looked like every type of antenna imaginable were mounted on them. I decided not to fly and risk my drone. My question is would it be safe to fly by these antenna towers if so how far from them would be safe? Thanks in advance to any one knowledgeable enough to this question.
I had a terrible fly away trying to see if I could do a inspection on the towers. Everything was going great, then it just took off. I was in a large clear cut area. Drone flew around the clear cut then crashed into the tower at about ten feet high. Just cleared the fencing. Was amazed it didn’t do more damage. Gamble is messed up. Drone was a phantom 2 vision.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu