DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near controlled fires

Mousehunter

Reactions
Not considering flyng near forest fires or accidents. But in S. Texas, burning brush piles is generally legal and oil field flares are a fact of life. Any idea how much fires need to be avoided? I would hate to melt my drone in an unplanned RTH. My primary flight sight is roughly 1/2 sq mile and has dozens of brush piles and 2 flares on it. I have no doubt I will be flying within 100 yards of flares fairly frequently.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
I’ve been reasonably close to some pretty hot fires in my life and my guess is that 100 yards should be plenty safe unless there are extenuating circumstances. I personally wouldn’t press my luck though if it can be avoided. You might want to be careful about smoke on the camera lens. Best wishes.

You will also have to worry about wind. As the hot air rises above the fire it will suck in cold air and create a wind. Depends on how hot the fire is but that wind can be pretty fast.

Second thing is hot air is thinner and could mess with height the drone flys at. I believe moist of the DJI models use a barometer sensor which could be impacted

Bottom line be carful. Don’t take anything for granted.

Burning a grass field you lily don’t have to worry too much about this. But be be aware just in case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N