DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near Seven Sisters and Beachy Head

Gedimin

Reactions
Hi all!

New to drones and to this forum, trying to find nice spots near London to fly Mavic air. All clear with severely restricted zones, but now arrived to the point that there are lots of bylaws prohibiting flying in some of the best places.

So, Beachy Head and Seven Sisters. I know there is big plot owned by National Trust which operates no fly policy. Have no intention to violate this. However, when looking at their properties map I see that their boundaries are around Seaford - Birling Gap, and not covering actually Beachy Head.

Are we allowed to fly around the lighthouse and along this part of cliffs then?

Discover Our Land Ownership Map | National Trust 2020-04-28 20-47-56.png

I think you will find that The National Trust policy is no flying FROM land under their control; if you take off from outside their borders I don't believe they can stop you flying OVER their controlled area.
Operating under VLOS rules this doesn't get you far, but means you don't have to be too strict about inadvertantly crossing the line.
I understand that breaking one of their bylaws is NOT a criminal action, so it would be interesting to see what they would do to anyone who doesn't pay them rent!

Living a long way from the actual area I can't comment on the precise details of Beachy Head.

Regards.

Well, they actually say 'flying on or over is not permitted'. I agree it is less likely to be caught while actually standing outside their boundaries

Well, they actually say 'flying on or over is not permitted'. I agree it is less likely to be caught while actually standing outside their boundaries

They claim it. The actual bye-laws state no such thing at all. The bye-laws (last updated 1965....) are on their site.

In fact, even FROM their land the worst they can do is ask you to stop and ask you to leave.

I've read that the NT try and be strict in other parts of the forum. OK, they own the land and are entitled to stop people taking off, or landing on it. They *might* try and claim they own the airspace above it. I don't know the truth of that, but my view is that if you haven't taken off from their land and don't overfly it, then short of putting up a wall several hundred meters high they cannot stop people taking pictures of the scenery. They don't own the view, otherwise they would take people's phones and camera's off them at the entrance gate and prosecute those that dare to take a sneaky picture.

A reasonable person might say that the intention is safety of the people and animals on the land. After all, there are a lot of idiots around who a) can't fly safely, and b) don't think the rules apply to them. And they can't have one rule for some, and another rule for others. I did a few shots at a local house open to the public (not NT) and the people there said only to avoid people and the house, as they have had people crash their drones into it by being too close.

Remember that beaches up to the high tide mark are crown property. It's then up to Liz or her minions to prosecute you if that's what they want to do. But I rather suspect obeying the drone code is all that's required in that instance.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old post!

This is one of the sites I plan to visit in an upcoming holiday to the U.K. and is a place I would love to get some footage, even if only briefly.

Looking at Altitude Angel, and Google Maps, would I be correct in thinking that a flight from the beach/weir/jetty at the end of the Esplanade (marked as The Shoal on GM) out over the water might offer an appealing view back toward land?

It would keep the drone out of restricted airspace, and assuming compliance with the relevant CAA/FID/OID requirements, weather permitting etc.

Thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661