DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near wildlife

We have a LOT of bad laws which people ignore all the time. Those people include our own lawmakers who, if you follow headlines the past few years, have decided to ignore certain federal laws. This country's history is full of examples of individuals, groups, and local/state governments willfully ignoring bad laws. Sometimes they pay the price, although oftentimes the enforcement agencies will eventually side with the offender, if the law is stupid enough and if enough people openly oppose it.

I'd agree, however, that this is probably not a law worth risking a lot of money or time trying to defeat, but it is both annoying and -- for parts of it -- stupid.
Using an argument based on unsupported opinion does not invalidate factual evidence, there are documented incidents of flying objects like kites and other human caused disturbances directly causing loss of young in nesting birds.

That’s why some beaches on the Pacific Coast are closed to flying kites and drones during nesting season as gulls have swooped in to take chicks when endangered birds like the snowy plover get scared off their nests, and why bighorn sheep have been chased and scattered by drone pilots before, putting their lambs at risk of mortality due to being separated from their mothers and put at risk by predators.

Wildlife protection laws are not stupid, there are good reasons which have been backed by documented studies and observations why many of them exist.

Last edited:
I'd agree, however, that this is probably not a law worth risking a lot of money or time trying to defeat, but it is both annoying and -- for parts of it -- stupid

So then I have to ask. What is the difference between following people around taking video/photos and doing the same with wildlife? Do you think because they are animals they will not become annoyed by your actions? Actually, I think that frame of mind is stupid and "all about me".

So then I have to ask. What is the difference between following people around taking video/photos and doing the same with wildlife? Do you think because they are animals they will not become annoyed by your actions? Actually, I think that frame of mind is stupid and "all about me".
Why are you getting personal, calling me stupid and "all about me?"

Totally uncalled for.

Reactions: Prismatic
Why are you getting personal, calling me stupid and "all about me?"
Not personal and not directed at you unless, I guess you have "that frame of mind".

It simply is a case of bothering wildlife with aircraft, be they drones or manned is unnecessary in most all cases and we as humans do not like that (that's where drone pilots seem to get themselves in the most trouble) so why would animals not feel the same fear, and harassment?

Not personal and not directed at you unless, I guess you have "that frame of mind".

It simply is a case of bothering wildlife with aircraft, be they drones or manned is unnecessary in most all cases and we as humans do not like that (that's where drone pilots seem to get themselves in the most trouble) so why would animals not feel the same fear, and harassment?
people getting annoyed at drones and cameras have an irrational fear for which the ordinary animal does not have. i believe animals get scared because of the unknown and their instinct is involved so there is likely no avoiding it. humans can completely avoid the dislike but they are too caught up into something else to get over it.

Just an fyi, these regulations don't apply if wildlife approach you or your drone. However, use common sense.

Having said that, be careful about posting photos and videos of your encounter.

@EmuCanFly Thanks for asking this question. @FlyGuy8675309 @AMann very informative comments. It encouraged me to delve deeper into the topic. Some of my videos (drone and handheld) could land me into trouble! Not that I harassed wildlife, just distance violations. Learned something new.

Reactions: Thomas B
Since you give no indication of what country you are talking about I don't understand how people can offer correct advice.
Very good point. I live in Canada - but I also fly in the U.S. sometimes (I"m a U.S. citizen and hold an FAA license).

Thanks, everyone. As TheEditor points out, I left out the very important information that I currently live in Canada, but I sometimes also fly in the States (I'm a U.S. citizen, family live there, and I have an FAA registration for my drone). Reading all the comments has been very insightful and informative regardless, and I will try to lean on the cautious side; also will look more into local wildlife code or etiquette so I don't cause stress to anyone going forward (whether that be the actual wildlife, or the people who are concerned for the wildlife). Thanks!

I have been using my mavic 2 zoom to harass the pigeons eating all of the cherries off of the trees. It works pretty good. Bird abatement might be a niche part of the UAS industry that hasn’t been fully explored yet.

That and around airports to help prevent aircraft bird strike accidents - another good drone job opportunity there!

The FAA actually has a bird strike mitigation certification process and I bet the use of drones for doing it would be very successful.

Last edited:
That and around airports to help prevent aircraft bird strike accidents - another good drone job opportunity there!

The FAA actually has a bird strike mitigation certification process and I bet the use of drones for doing it would be very successful.

I worked at an airport for several years and they would pay people with trained hawks to come out on bad days and scare the birds off. The birds got to the point that they would recognize the hawk lady’s truck and wouldn’t come around if they saw it. She ended up having to take a different vehicle each time to surprise the birds.

I worked at an airport for several years and they would pay people with trained hawks to come out on bad days and scare the birds off. The birds got to the point that they would recognize the hawk lady’s truck and wouldn’t come around if they saw it. She ended up having to take a different vehicle each time to surprise the birds.

airport could approach the scene with a cardboard cut-out of the truck, much cheaper.

Reactions: hactick
Have only flown once really close to wild life and took this video using my MAVIC AIR. I now have a MAVIC2 ZOOM so if the chance comes again I have the feeling I could get closer. The safety features stopped me getting closer.
The video can be found at

Pigeons & doves are not considered wildlife, they are actually "feathered rats" so don't feel bad about flying near them... IMHO...

Sorry I was actually asking about showing the video. I might fly right over one and never see it until I look at the video on a larger screen well after the flight is over. I'd hate to be turned in for something like that. There are some parks who allow flying that have nesting geese. Would that constitute the 1000' rule?

Avoid Youtube with your video - who's to know!

Most animals reside somewhere in the 'food chain,' they are very, very familiar with being chased & hunted. In my experience, my MP, at decent picture taking distances does not 'harass' most wildlife. ?

Reactions: Rnl
very, very familiar with being chased & hunted
That's good and videoing from a distance in the best process but fact is harassed game run through fences (elk, deer etc) and some birds tend to fly into things they would not normally fly into when trying to get away. Yes they are in the food chain but why is it necessary for us to add to their stress so that we can get a good pic? The bottom line to this is there is a reason for the laws and while some might think them "stupid" they are there for a reason. Basically some fools do not know when to back off. It seems that too many want to make it all about me. I need to get the best photos but be damned if it causes someone or something issues. And how do you know you are not harassing when videoing? Just asking. Are you reading their feelings also :)

That's good and videoing from a distance in the best process but fact is harassed game run through fences (elk, deer etc) and some birds tend to fly into things they would not normally fly into when trying to get away. Yes they are in the food chain but why is it necessary for us to add to their stress so that we can get a good pic? The bottom line to this is there is a reason for the laws and while some might think them "stupid" they are there for a reason. Basically some fools do not know when to back off. It seems that too many want to make it all about me. I need to get the best photos but be damned if it causes someone or something issues. And how do you know you are not harassing when videoing? Just asking. Are you reading their feelings also :)

Because I have been observing, photographing, hunting & caring for animals for about 65 years. You animal rights folks have no idea... ?

• Wow
Reactions: Prismatic and Rnl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman