DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying on Oahu

Reactions
I can’t seem to find a definitive answer on whether flying a drone on Oahu is allowable. I would do all the things I do to prep for a flight but seems like half of the conversations say you can while the other half day you can’t. Also, before I pack it for vacation, do I need any special registrations for flying in Oahu. Appreciate any direction!

I can’t seem to find a definitive answer on whether flying a drone on Oahu is allowable. I would do all the things I do to prep for a flight but seems like half of the conversations say you can while the other half day you can’t. Also, before I pack it for vacation, do I need any special registrations for flying in Oahu. Appreciate any direction!
UAV Coach is a great resource.

Reactions: rx7ward
What does B4UFly indicate for your location?

Reactions: rx7ward
…Also, before I pack it for vacation, do I need any special registrations for flying in Oahu. Appreciate any direction!
Hawaii, including Oahu, is a US State like any other, and has the same airspace regs. There are quite a few military bases there, and lots of controlled airspace to be aware of.
What does B4UFly indicate for your location?
^^^This^^^

Also, if I recall, state beach parks don’t allow operating drones from their property.

I was there a few weeks ago, amazing. Besides the obvious restricted airspace around the airports you are not allowed to launch, land or operate a drone in a state park....think Diamond Head. I'm not going to lie, there were these white birds in the area around Waikiki beach and downtown Honolulu that swarmed my MA2 in large numbers and made me incredibly nervous.

I did my best to avoid the birds with no luck. They circled the drone and made aggressive passes,,,,even following the drone as I climbed higher. A few times, I simply decided to end my flight. I can post a short clip or two if you want to see what I experienced.

I did see one fool launch a Mini from a very crowded beach, fly maybe 5-8 feet over the water and the crowd with wind gusts pushing 30 mph. All I could do was cringe. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, he managed a very awkward hand-catch but struggled to get the motors to stop for nearly a minute with the drone inches from his face. I thought for sure the guy was going to lose an eye. Don't be that guy.

Hawaii, including Oahu, is a US State like any other, and has the same airspace regs. There are quite a few military bases there, and lots of controlled airspace to be aware of.

^^^This^^^

Also, if I recall, state beach parks don’t allow operating drones from their property.
80% of the state's population is on Oahu, as are most of the military installations in Hawaii. The island of Oahu is roughly 20 miles x 40 miles, and is home to over 40,000 active duty military personnel of all branches. There are LOTS of helicopter flight ops on Oahu as well, both military and tour operators. Lots of parasail and sailboard activity, too. You won't be alone up there.

If you want to fly from a safe and easily accessible location on Oahu that is near a lot of scenic locations, I suggest Kapiolani Park, adjacent to the Honolulu Zoo and Honolulu Aquarium. It is a huge open area that is a good launching and recovery spot, and generally speaking, not very crowded. There's even usually conveniently located parking (a rarity here, believe me). Great place to fly offshore and get footage of Waikiki, Diamond Head Crater, etc.

Keep in mind that Hawaii is generally quite windy, especially when the northeast trade winds are blowing. 25-30 mph gusts are not uncommon. You need to keep a close eye on your battery endurance on these days.

As an Oahu resident, I agree with eljimb0's earlier statement - use your head and observe all safety rules and you are not likely to have any problems.