DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying out of sight. Tips and techniques wanted

Watch this.[/QUOTE]Point taken. However, the FAA has stated that they won't go after people because of their YouTube videos. In this case it was the NPS. Also, I'm assuming that people are not going to incriminate themselves when the other party had no change of prevailing based on the video alone. If you watch the original person's video he agreed that the only reason the NPS had a case was because he confirmed his flight information.

I simply make the recommendation against it because it can only open the door for problems

Sure, but any sort of flying opens the door for problems. A million things can go wrong with anything you do, RTH or otherwise

To say "flying back manually _always_ works perfectly" is a little disingenuous, any number of things can go wrong - no different than with RTH. Same possible result (disaster), just different causes.

Manual control means nothing more than a human is pushing the sticks. It doesn't necessarily mean the bird is going to do what you intended. Ultimately, the pilot is "in control" of nothing, we're just giving suggestions to electronics.

To say "flying back manually _always_ works perfectly" is a little disingenuous, any number of things can go wrong - no different than with RTH. Same possible result (disaster), just different causes.
Taking the similarities out and just looking at how RTH changes the flight is what I'm considering. For example, if you were to fly into a tree because the collision sensors did not work, the same thing would happen with RTH. However, with manual flight you would have a chance to avoid the tree with manual control. You would not with RTH. Can you give any examples of how RTH would be less likely to involve a problem then manual flight? I gave one example of the other way around... I can give many more. I've also already listed many problems that were created by RTH.

Manual control means nothing more than a human is pushing the sticks. It doesn't necessarily mean the bird is going to do what you intended. Ultimately, the pilot is "in control" of nothing, we're just giving suggestions to electronics.
It means a _lot_ more and I've already listed a lot of those things. Manual flight means that you don't need to worry about the homepoint being correct. It means you don't have to worry about RTH getting the GPS position correct all of the time, It means that you have far less to worry about crashing into. It means not having to worry about the drone rising into a tree, etc.

Edit: Again, not using RTH unless forced to do so is only something I recommend. I'll back up my recommendation with info as to why it is a better idea. I'm not saying that RTH is not good and I'm not saying that people need to follow my recommendation.

Well it turns out iam one of the guys who gives guys like you a bad name!! I didn't even know the faa had a rule that it must be in sight!!!! So I suck! I just gotta say that there must be alot of people breaking that rule because there is no way you could see your craft in alot of these videos? What about a spotter with a big spotting scope or binoculars? Anyway iam glad I asked! I actually called the cops here to ask where I can fly lol and I hate cops! Bad news is I'll be poaching glacier park in 3 days! I bet the no fly zone thing comes on!? I've lived in and around Yellowstone my whole life and short of a fire or people I can't imagine why? Probably fire? Has one of these caused a fire? Anyway thanks and I'll be making sure I don't go out of sight when I poach the park lol! Naw ! River right is forest service!

I am a little disappointed to read postings that put down the RTH feature and possibly make new flyers apprehensive about using this mode. It is sometimes the last resort to recovering your investment.
I recently had to launch from a tightly bunched group of trees in order to fly over a pond. To return, I used RTH to land. Much easire than trying to steer it back down between the trees.

I recently had to launch from a tightly bunched group of trees in order to fly over a pond. To return, I used RTH to land. Much easire than trying to steer it back down between the trees.
This does not make sense. RTH means the Mavic flies straight back to the homepoint at one altitude. You could not do this manually? You simply point the drone icon toward the homepoint and push the stick forward. You can also watch the drone icon follow the yellow/orange line all the way back to the homepoint. I'm confused why this would be difficult at all.

It's not difficult it's what you chose to do .
This has seemed to got off the OP and turned into a RTH debate so lets stop it now and give the OP more of what he asked for .

Your post reads a bit like you're used to driving in 500$ cars and now you have a Ferrari, you want to know what happens when pushing the throttle fully. So I guess everything comes with experience, feeling, confidence.

My tips & experiences:
1) Know the regulations that apply in the location you're flying at: BVLOS flights are banned in most of Europe.
2) Respects privacy of other people in the area
3) Practice & get confident with the drone in sight
4) Make sure to know how the obstacle avoidance system works and especially where there are no sensors to help you out. Know how the drone will act when it loses radio signal and setup your controller in the right mode (RTH preferably)
5) Make sure your homepoint is set and RTH altitude clears the drone of the highest obstacle around. Also check your max distance setting.
6) Know the direction of the wind, when you start flying downwind, you need more battery power to get back. Always start with a full battery
7) First flights: only fly forward to see all obstacles on your screen and don't get too far away. If you're confident enough you can consider flying sideways or backward.
8) Set the homepoint to follow your position and walk in the direction your drone is flying, that way the return path is shorter
9) Practice a lot and get confident, but most of all, have fun !
10) Consider buying spare batteries

I've posted just a couple of video's showing the Mavic Pro's potential to some extent: Bartjes

Your post reads a bit like you're used to driving in 500$ cars and now you have a Ferrari, you want to know what happens when pushing the throttle fully. So I guess everything comes with experience, feeling, confidence.

My tips & experiences:
1) Know the regulations that apply in the location you're flying at: BVLOS flights are banned in most of Europe.
2) Respects privacy of other people in the area
3) Practice & get confident with the drone in sight
4) Make sure to know how the obstacle avoidance system works and especially where there are no sensors to help you out. Know how the drone will act when it loses radio signal and setup your controller in the right mode (RTH preferably)
5) Make sure your homepoint is set and RTH altitude clears the drone of the highest obstacle around. Also check your max distance setting.
6) Know the direction of the wind, when you start flying downwind, you need more battery power to get back. Always start with a full battery
7) First flights: only fly forward to see all obstacles on your screen and don't get too far away. If you're confident enough you can consider flying sideways or backward.
8) Set the homepoint to follow your position and walk in the direction your drone is flying, that way the return path is shorter
9) Practice a lot and get confident, but most of all, have fun !
10) Consider buying spare batteries

I've posted just a couple of video's showing the Mavic Pro's potential to some extent: Bartjes

Frankly if you're staying within VLOS then the rest of your tips are all but pointless and unnecessary aren't they? Me , I subscribe to the "fools and wise men" theorem.

Iam brand new. I've been learning . Iam get to g a bit better. But...As soon as my visual sight of the mavic air is just a little compromised , I freak out! I don't think I should or want to fly long distance but eventually I need to feel confident when the drone is barely visible (its very small to begin with)or behind something. Will you guys please tell me and others how you go about flying out of eyesight please be specific in your -routine , setting your bearing? Maps and any details there in? I've logged a whopping hour and a bit and my max altitude was like 120 something feet lol! But I get very turned around watching the screen without seeing the aircraft and if my old eyes loose orientation (or even just doubt) of it....I freak out!!! Thank you!!

Be very careful that you don't stray into a No Fly Zone. If you, do, DJI software can cause your Mavic to autoland right where is and there is no way you can control it. It just lands where it is.

Also an unknown and uncontrollable factor in flying beyond line of sight is the potential for a bird strike regardless of your altitude being high enough to avoid obstructions. A bird collision will likely crash your drone. Some birds might even attack your drone.

Sportking

Make sure your RTH location is correct after take off. If you start to lose signal, increase altitude. Keep an eye on your radar map.

I took short flights for a while until I was more confident. I test RTH very frequently and now have a lot of confidence in it. Always watch your radar map when you use RTH and when it gets close enough keep a visual on it while it lands and be prepared to take over control at any time. I also tested RTH while in line of sight by turning off my controller and watching it come back after signal loss. Also, avoid high winds, they can cause your battery to drain a lot faster than you think.

Reactions: mad monkey
I took mine out today beyond line of sight .

Tested my. Rth first, then flew out to my chosen spot nice and high. Kept remote pointing at it and when I lost signal I calmly turned around and brought it back .
Confidence is the best way to be safe. Practice makes perfect

1.It’s ilegal in the US. 2. Why do you want too? What’s the point ? If you are filming real estate or video for an event you will be right in front of the event. If your inspecting a tower or building you’ll be close enough to see the drone. If you want to fly as far as you can again why? What are you filming. What happens when you crash into a power line. You’ll never see it in your monitor before it’s too late. You get a pass your new at this but some of the answers by “experienced” people on this board is why drones are getting negative publicity and regulated up the butt.

Reactions: sjnovakovich
Beyond visual LOS is dangerous...and prohibited...unless you are a Part 107 commercial pilot and have a trained visual observer.

I use an observer when the aircraft is within line of sight but I’m busy looking down at the screen for any extended length of time to adjust the camera, aircraft position, etc.

In certain circumstances even Part 107 pilots must file with the FAA for a waiver of the LOS requirement.

Someone as stated before, putting better lights, i.e. strobes (like Firehouse Arc) on your aircraft will make it MUCH more visible and increase your line of sight... and comfort level.

Fly safe!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78