DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over 400ft

You can fly your drone 400 ft above any structure within a 50 ft radius of you. So if you can find a 1000 ft building that they will give you permission to fly close enough to ,then bobs your uncle.
this rule applies to Everybody. except maybe agency pilots. ( gov. drone pilots)

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
You can fly your drone 400 ft above any structure within a 50 ft radius of you. So if you can find a 1000 ft building that they will give you permission to fly close enough to ,then bobs your uncle.
this rule applies to Everybody. except maybe agency pilots. ( gov. drone pilots)
So you now need permission to fly close to a building?

I'm sorry I didn't see this in TRUST.

Sorry and I will stand correction on this but I think the text quoted above is WRONG.
I believe that that height allowance is available to ONLY part 107 qualified pilots and DOES NOT apply to recreational pilots.

I started to watch the video but once I saw who was presenting it, I stopped.

Having said that, if you are flying a Mavic Mini then I think you would face serious challanges trying to reach a height of 1000ft directly over head.
I am aware that the FCC version of the Mavic Mini and its controller have greater control range than my CE spec Mavic Mini but I can lose signal overhead at 150ft or thereabouts.
Plus I wouldn't want to gamble flying a Mavic Mini in the winds that a 1000ft tall building will conjour up

Last edited:
Where did you get this 50 foot rule? That’s not part of 107 and is certainly not part of Recreational. The (only for 107 pilots) rule is you can go up to 400ft above a structure but you have to stay within 400ft of the structure. And you don’t have to get anyone’s permission. Recreational is 400ft AGL no exceptions.

Last edited:
By permission I meant for such a tall structure there will need to be a place within 50 ft of the building ( probably lots of people working and wandering about) to take off from I don't know about Pittsburg but a lot of secretaries and business people here in L.A. get nervous when you start buzzing your drone around them. and you know that cool" Nakatomy plaza" (I know spelling!) building used for die hard here in L.A. well don't even think of flying a drone anywhere on that property. yep I tried. the property owners can prevent you from flying on the property yes they can't stop you from buzzing around the building within reason but the building is on their property and if you linger too long on the property with your drone that can be considered harassment .

Last edited:
Does this apply to recreational pilots?

(no off topic discussions)
Sorry for Ken ! Sure he can fly 400 feet over or 400 in the radius of the tower. Ken also was not keeping visual line of sight VLOS . And then other hand , yes it also applies to recreational pilots who flying in uncontrolled NAS . 107 Comercial Pilots who fly in Controlled Airspace must ask for LAANC ( Low Altitud Autorization Notification Capabilities) . Flying in Controlled Airspace does not permit flying above 400' AGL . Plan your flights and ask for LAANC Autorization .

By permission I meant for such a tall structure there will need to be a place within 50 ft of the building ( probably lots of people working and wandering about) to take off from I don't know about Pittsburg but a lot of secretaries and business people here in L.A. get nervous when you start buzzing your drone around them. and you know that cool" Nakatomy plaza" (I know spelling!) building used for die hard here in L.A. well don't even think of flying a drone anywhere on that property. yep I tried. the property owners can prevent you from flying on the property yes they can't stop you from buzzing around the building within reason but the building is on their property and if you linger too long on the property with your drone that can be considered harassment .
Not really, you can take off at a distance from the building, when you get within 400 feet from it, then you can climb.

Not really, you can take off at a distance from the building, when you get within 400 feet from it, then you can climb.
First check with a LAANC app or go to B4UFly . This way you can check if it is a controlled Airspace or not. Also check if there is a NFZ near or a local law or regulation at the propose sight . California , USA has very strict local flight restrictions.

You can fly your drone 400 ft above any structure within a 50 ft radius of you...
I’m a 107 pilot and have never heard of the 50’ thing. I was taught that it was within 400’ of a structure. If I’m wrong, please correct me.

Sorry, I missed mobilhomer’s post above. Apparently it’s still as I learned it.

I got that from working (and It may be a safety Rule for us and not a LAW) You could very well be correct that the Govt. says 400 Hopefully the Capt. will help us both

I got that from working (and It may be a safety Rule for us and not a LAW) You could very well be correct that the Govt. says 400 Hopefully the Capt. will help us both
There's absolutely no doubt that the figure is 400 feet.

14 CFR § 107.51 - Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.​

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and

(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

and you know that cool" Nakatomy plaza" (I know spelling!)
No you don't 🤣

Nakatomi

Kidding aside, I don't think any Japanese words end with Y in English spelling (not translation) , at least I couldn't find any with a quick search.

Last edited:
Does this apply to recreational pilots?

(no off topic discussions)
ONLY Part 107 certificate holders have the authority to fly 400ft above a structure's uppermost point, as long as they are within a 400 ft radius of said structure. Also, this rule does not apply in controlled airspace.

Sorry and I will stand correction on this but I think the text quoted above is WRONG.
I believe that that height allowance is available to ONLY part 107 qualified pilots and DOES NOT apply to recreational pilots.

I started to watch the video but once I saw who was presenting it, I stopped.

Having said that, if you are flying a Mavic Mini then I think you would face serious challanges trying to reach a height of 1000ft directly over head.
I am aware that the FCC version of the Mavic Mini and its controller have greater control range than my CE spec Mavic Mini but I can lose signal overhead at 150ft or thereabouts.
Plus I wouldn't want to gamble flying a Mavic Mini in the winds that a 1000ft tall building will conjour up
why,whats wrong with him?.?

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986