DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over a ravine or similar

A couple of points to consider.
Sea level has no meaning to the drone and it has no way to tell how far it is above or below sea level.
If you fly out from a high mountain, the drone has no way to tell how far it is above the ground below it.
Unfortunately, that is not quite correct. There is an operational ceiling. That is a physical constraint. Once there is not enough air density, the drone will know how high it is. Prior to and coming close to this limit, the drone will struggle to fly for the same reason

Unfortunately, that is not quite correct. There is an operational ceiling. That is a physical constraint. Once there is not enough air density, the drone will know how high it is. Prior to and coming close to this limit, the drone will struggle to fly for the same reason
What I wrote is still completely correct.

You'll lose GPS in the canyon, it will get stuck in safe flying height (ATTI mode) and you won't get it back. You've been warned.

You'll lose GPS in the canyon, it will get stuck in safe flying height (ATTI mode) and you won't get it back. You've been warned.
The OP asked about flying out from the side of a mountain.
He said nothing about descending into a narrow canyon that might restrict satellite reception.

The OP asked about flying out from the side of a mountain.
He said nothing about descending into a narrow canyon that might restrict satellite reception.
They've put ravine in the title... Then gone on to say mountain. Who knows what they meant.

They've put ravine in the title... Then gone on to say mountain. Who knows what they meant.
Apologies. It’s actually a mountain range . I presume that so long as the drone can see at least one satellite overhead it’ll be fine ?
I’ve actually done it now and it was fine except the little mini 2 struggled with down draft as I moved out over the edge but once cleared it was steady with no issues.

Reactions: old man mavic
I presume that so long as the drone can see at least one satellite overhead it’ll be fine ?
Your drone requires a lot more than one satellite to use GPS.
But flying out from teh side of a mountain, you should have had very little of teh sky obscured and had no problems with satellites.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser