DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Parks

If you are talking about National and Provincial Parks, the rules are pretty clear - no drones allowed. Even though you could legally launch your drone outside the park and fly over it, most entrances to National and Provincial Parks are a distance off from the scenic spots you would want to fly to and likely BVLOS which would make the flight illegal anyway.

If you are talking about city parks and are flying a mini drone you should be ok as long as you are respectful of others and not doing stupid things and the park doesn't restrict drones. If flying a larger drone >250g you obviously need your pilot's licence and must be 30m away from anyone to launch.

Chris
Hi Chris
In the US there is no requirement for a pilots license if flying a drone strictly for recreational purposes. That said, all pilots must complete the Trust test and all drones over 249g must be registered.

In the US there are some state parks that have areas which are not classed as wilderness areas. If the area is woodland and not wilderness then drones may be permitted. Because the prohibition applies to wilderness areas in most cases. As always it is best to check each parks website as there will be published rules that explain there rule on drones. So states may permit, but not many.

As everybody else has stated, the park rangers do not control the airspace above the park. The airspace is controlled in the US by the FAA. These rules are clear, that VLOS must be maintained and you must not fly in a maner that is not dangerous and not harasses people or wildlife. There is also a rule regarding flying over people and groups of people.

Don't trust what you read on the internet except from official sources. Here is an example from UAVCOACH , best places to fly a drone in Miami: The 5 Best Places to Fly a Drone in Miami (2022) | UAV Coach
3rd on the list is Pier Park in SIB. Well, I have no idea how this can be a great place to fly when the SIB website clearly states that operating a drone is strictly prohibited from all city parks and the beach, and any other public area in the city. So, unless you own some land in SIB there is little chance that you can operate a drone in SIB without being in breach of these ordinances.

So, always check the city ordinances, the park rules and the federal laws regarding drones or unmanned aircraft.

Hi Chris
In the US there is no requirement for a pilots license if flying a drone strictly for recreational purposes. That said, all pilots must complete the Trust test and all drones over 249g must be registered.

In the US there are some state parks that have areas which are not classed as wilderness areas. If the area is woodland and not wilderness then drones may be permitted. Because the prohibition applies to wilderness areas in most cases. As always it is best to check each parks website as there will be published rules that explain there rule on drones. So states may permit, but not many.

As everybody else has stated, the park rangers do not control the airspace above the park. The airspace is controlled in the US by the FAA. These rules are clear, that VLOS must be maintained and you must not fly in a maner that is not dangerous and not harasses people or wildlife. There is also a rule regarding flying over people and groups of people.

Don't trust what you read on the internet except from official sources. Here is an example from UAVCOACH , best places to fly a drone in Miami: The 5 Best Places to Fly a Drone in Miami (2022) | UAV Coach
3rd on the list is Pier Park in SIB. Well, I have no idea how this can be a great place to fly when the SIB website clearly states that operating a drone is strictly prohibited from all city parks and the beach, and any other public area in the city. So, unless you own some land in SIB there is little chance that you can operate a drone in SIB without being in breach of these ordinances.

So, always check the city ordinances, the park rules and the federal laws regarding drones or unmanned aircraft.
There are variations in the rules between Canada and the US. The rules here in Canada seem to be a bit more stringent (they were not always that way) and I hope they do not become more stringent. I have a Mini 3 Pro which allows me to fly in some places that I can't fly my Mavic 3 in.

There are many beautiful places in the US that I would love to travel to being a hobbiest photographer (landscapes, birds, astrophotography and drone photography), camper and nature lover but I wouldn't feel safe doing so, so those trips have been put off for now.

Chris

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Hi Chris

UAV Coach relies on their users to self-report new restrictions and laws, and many of their places to fly are outdated. I found this disappointing considering the quality of their training materials for Part 107.

• Wow
I have a Mini 3 Pro which allows me to fly in some places that I can't fly my Mavic 3 in.
Likewise. I bought my Mini 3 Pro to let me fly places I can't fly my Mavic 2.

I have both regular and extended batteries, so I can fly both sub-250 g rules and using my basic sRPAS certificate (with more flight time). In many way, best of both worlds.

One major difference between Canadian and American rules is that up here the reason for the flight make no difference — all that matters is the flight profile.

Likewise. I bought my Mini 3 Pro to let me fly places I can't fly my Mavic 2.

I have both regular and extended batteries, so I can fly both sub-250 g rules and using my basic sRPAS certificate (with more flight time). In many way, best of both worlds.

One major difference between Canadian and American rules is that up here the reason for the flight make no difference — all that matters is the flight profile.
Has anyone heard of anyone having their drones weighed by the man?

• Wow
Hi Chris

I looked at their website and looked up park rules. I’m wondering what you CAN DO after seeing everything that is prohibited.

Remind me to avoid that part of Florida. I guess they ignore Florida’s preemption laws on drone flight.

• Wow
Even though one could Take Off and Land a drone from a location from that isn't restricted and fly a drone in restricted airspace of a National Park. A Park Ranger can make your life really bad. Give you fines for other things that you wouldn't have thought of. Such as disturbing habitat, to disorderly conduct, or other things. It's important to remember that the animals have no clue what Drones are and they have no one speaking for them. We need to respect the habitat for them. Unfortunately the people that break these rules are most likely not on websites like this to ask questions and get answers.

Most public parks are not nature reserves and flying a drone is usually less obtrusive to wildlife than other activities taking place in the park. As long as you are avoiding other park patrons and not harassing wildlife that may be present then there is no cause for drone phobia.

I’m getting so sick of drone fliers getting banned from so many places. It is so much like the skateboard and rollerblade phobia from 20 years ago. You can’t fly a drone on the beach, but it is perfectly fine to race up and down it in ORV’s and dirt bikes. I think it is time to take a look at how ridiculous all these bans are.
Absolutely correct. Once you get over 200', people aren't going to see your drone unless people are looking into the air for it. Use your common sense and most times you will be ok.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu