DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Parks

Tim3459575

Reactions
Hi, It seems that most parks prohibit flying drones. However, I’ve been told that park authorities have no jurisdiction over airspace so the prohibition only applies to take-off and landing. As a general question, does this mean that a person could fly over a park as long as takeoff and landing is performed outside the park ? Additionally, could you control the drone from within the park assuming takeoff and landing was done outside. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

• Sad
Reactions: LoudThunder
Hi, It seems that most parks prohibit flying drones. However, I’ve been told that park authorities have no jurisdiction over airspace so the prohibition only applies to take-off and landing. As a general question, does this mean that a person could fly over a park as long as takeoff and landing is performed outside the park ? Additionally, could you control the drone from within the park assuming takeoff and landing was done outside. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

One thing to be aware of is your air authorities rule on VLOS rules for drones.
Most country's respective authorities require drone pilots to fly within VLOS, so flying over parks from outside is going to be fairly restricted in general anyway, if the rule(s) are adhered to.

My personal view on this is that if the park prohibits you from launching, landing, or operating the drone in the park, holding the controller flying it is technically operating it, so it would be prohibited. Flying over the edge of the park is one thing but standing in the park with the controller in hand is um... controling it no? As others have said, you need to be aware of the VLOS rules for where you're flying.

Out of respect for park officials, and the possiblilities of wildlife and their mating season, I would seek out the park ranger and ask politely. Start throwing official FAA ( or in your case, Transport Canada) rules in the guys face will get you nowhere. It's possible that if asked nicely and explain what you want to photograph or video, the ranger might let you fly.

Most public parks are not nature reserves and flying a drone is usually less obtrusive to wildlife than other activities taking place in the park. As long as you are avoiding other park patrons and not harassing wildlife that may be present then there is no cause for drone phobia.

I’m getting so sick of drone fliers getting banned from so many places. It is so much like the skateboard and rollerblade phobia from 20 years ago. You can’t fly a drone on the beach, but it is perfectly fine to race up and down it in ORV’s and dirt bikes. I think it is time to take a look at how ridiculous all these bans are.

Most public parks are not nature reserves and flying a drone is usually less obtrusive to wildlife than other activities taking place in the park. As long as you are avoiding other park patrons and not harassing wildlife that may be present then there is no cause for drone phobia.

I’m getting so sick of drone fliers getting banned from so many places. It is so much like the skateboard and rollerblade phobia from 20 years ago. You can’t fly a drone on the beach, but it is perfectly fine to race up and down it in ORV’s and dirt bikes. I think it is time to take a look at how ridiculous all these bans are.
I could not agree more with "DoomMeister"

If you are talking about National and Provincial Parks, the rules are pretty clear - no drones allowed. Even though you could legally launch your drone outside the park and fly over it, most entrances to National and Provincial Parks are a distance off from the scenic spots you would want to fly to and likely BVLOS which would make the flight illegal anyway.

If you are talking about city parks and are flying a mini drone you should be ok as long as you are respectful of others and not doing stupid things and the park doesn't restrict drones. If flying a larger drone >250g you obviously need your pilot's licence and must be 30m away from anyone to launch.

Chris

Well, regulation about this differs from place to place. I have the permit to fly my drone in the nearby restricted areas that would be more or less equivalent to parks, as log as I fly on the areas classified as "recreational use", which are basically the points of interest; but I fly long range most of the time, so don't really care because no one will ever notice.

Have your drone as legal as possible (any mandatory stuff needed for your country) and then Hit&Run is the way to go or else, you'll simply won't fly, most rules apart from the 120m alt and proximity to airports are there just to kill the hobby and avoid labor intrusion on aerial jobs.

Well, regulation about this differs from place to place. I have the permit to fly my drone in the nearby restricted areas that would be more or less equivalent to parks, as log as I fly on the areas classified as "recreational use", which are basically the points of interest; but I fly long range most of the time, so don't really care because no one will ever notice.

Have your drone as legal as possible (any mandatory stuff needed for your country) and then Hit&Run is the way to go or else, you'll simply won't fly, most rules apart from the 120m alt and proximity to airports are there just to kill the hobby and avoid labor intrusion on aerial jobs.
I disagree! The rules are an effort by the government to make the skies safe for manned aircraft and people on the ground that a drone may be flying over. Just search on YouTube or browse some of the threads on this forum and you will quickly realize why rules are in place.

Also, the OP is in Canada, where the rules for flying drones are pretty clear and I would say pretty stringent especially for drones that are over 250g. There was a time when the rules weren't so stringent here in Canada even for drones over 250g but times have been changing. Posts like yours that encourage people especially people new to the hobby to disregard rules by stating that you ...
fly long range most of the time, so don't really care because no one will ever notice.
... doesn't really do anything good for the hobby as it just encourages governments to clamp down even more.

I do wish at times I could fly my drones out of VLOS but I don't want to put any manned aircraft in danger, lose my drones and have had enough surprises with manned aircraft when in VLOS and flying legally to realize that the rules are there for a good reason.

Chris

I say, leave it to the Experts...

thanks for all these insightful comments. I would say that with these restrictions it is challenging finding scenic places to fly legally on land. The most scenic publicly accessible areas tend to be parkland. However, I’m fortunate being a boater, as there are many good opportunities from the water.

thanks for all these insightful comments. I would say that with these restrictions it is challenging finding scenic places to fly legally on land. The most scenic publicly accessible areas tend to be parkland. However, I’m fortunate being a boater, as there are many good opportunities from the water.
I have always used common sense. If it's questionably restricted, I will go to the authority and politely ask if I can fly there. Normally it's a yes. Its just a matter of asking and asking politely.
I have seen, even here in these forums, peoples responses as if they are entitled to fly wherever. Not so... common sense, ask for permission... gets a lot of bang for your buck.

You are fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful provinces in Canada with lots of scenic areas. I imagine there are many places you can fly outside of National and Provincial park’s especially if you have a Mini drone.

Flying from a boat can be tricky and there are certain extra precautions that need to be taken. There are lots of threads on here from members who are experienced in this task - just search and you should find lots.

Chris

I disagree! The rules are an effort by the government to make the skies safe for manned aircraft and people on the ground that a drone may be flying over. Just search on YouTube or browse some of the threads on this forum and you will quickly realize why rules are in place.

Also, the OP is in Canada, where the rules for flying drones are pretty clear and I would say pretty stringent especially for drones that are over 250g. There was a time when the rules weren't so stringent here in Canada even for drones over 250g but times have been changing. Posts like yours that encourage people especially people new to the hobby to disregard rules by stating that you ...

... doesn't really do anything good for the hobby as it just encourages governments to clamp down even more.

I do wish at times I could fly my drones out of VLOS but I don't want to put any manned aircraft in danger, lose my drones and have had enough surprises with manned aircraft when in VLOS and flying legally to realize that the rules are there for a good reason.

Chris

<900g drones, specially <250g drones are absolutely safe and harmless no matter how you decide to fly them, they will never bring down a plane, they will never kill anyone. Where is the data that proves <900g are dangerous, where are the deaths? In the entire world, no one has ever died by a recreational use of a quad of any size. Zero deaths, one of the safest hobbies around and the safest branch of aviation.

For example, only this past February 74 people died in my country in road accidents, yet no one cares. Where is RID for cars? Where are the 7+ digit fines? Where's the paranoia and the constant battering? Nowhere. No one cares if a 1+ ton vehicle at 50Km/h passes right next to them, yet it will mostly kill them or heavy injure them in case they get slightly in the way.

1679054639143.png

You should check Xjet channel on YT to get a glimpse on what's going around rulewise: https://www.youtube.com/@xjet/videos

Following the rules will leave you nowhere but to self-destruction of the hobby and graying out, and no, not complying with the current regulation doesn't mean in any way that you are flying recklessly.

Last edited:
Out of respect for park officials, and the possiblilities of wildlife and their mating season, I would seek out the park ranger and ask politely. Start throwing official FAA ( or in your case, Transport Canada) rules in the guys face will get you nowhere. It's possible that if asked nicely and explain what you want to photograph or video, the ranger might let you fly.
I would not put any faith in what the park rangers would tell me. Even if they don't know, they will act like they do and will err to the side of caution, thus prohibiting you from flying where you could well be able to fly, legally.

As a general question, does this mean that a person could fly over a park as long as takeoff and landing is performed outside the park ? Additionally, could you control the drone from within the park assuming takeoff and landing was done outside.
In Canada the answer would be maybe and no.

There are Transport Canada regulations governing flying over national parks, as well as Parks Canada regulations, so you would need to check those before flying over a national park.

Provincial parks aren't covered by Transport Canada regulations in that way, so you'd be good for flying in from outside (assuming that you still followed Transport Canada regulations for flying). Likewise municipal parks.

Controlling a drone is considered operating it, so launching outside and then walking in would violate the park regulations if they forbid drones.

If Vancouver is too restrictive for you, take a trip up to the Sunshine Coast where there are a lot of scenic places with no flight restrictions (even more if you have a mini drone).

My local park has a lake that I like to fly over. Even though B4UFLY says Good to Fly, the park service says no. Luckily, there is a road beside the lake that allows parking outside the park boundaries. I can launch, fly, land without ever being over people or park property. The gators don’t seem to mind and I get a great view of the lake and surroundings.

Agreed! An irony is that flying a drone in a park, particularly a little used corner of the park where there are no people, is much lower impact and "safer" (in the sense of no people, vehicles or buildings around) than flying over an urban area....and yet....flying over urban areas is generally allowed (with some notable exceptions like NYC).

The 30m rule is one of the main reasons for me getting the Mini 3 Pro. Even my Spark at 300g is in the same category as my Mavic 3.

Chris

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78