DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over people...

I do NOT encourage anyone to circumvent the law. Especially when it concerns The FAA and drones. They (FAA) don’t seem to like us too much as it is and, there are many wonderful people (pilots and sport enthusiasts alike) attempting to get FAA to lessen a strangle hold on the drone industry. I studied and studied that I would pass the 107 cert and I did. I do very little commercial flying. The vast majority of my flying is recreationally based. I primarily took the test, that notwithstanding the fact it forced me to further educate myself on the (DOT FAA) rules, but that I could truly be the best and most knowledgeable pilot for me! I will try to give the best advice I may when asked and if possible I will backup the response with the FAA cut and paste, which I have done on this particular subject. I truly respect the thoughts and statements of others on this forum. I learn from you and grow with you. If you understand my meaning on this, and agree, then I challenge you to be the best and most knowledgeable pilot you know. Thank you all for allowing me the privilege of being a member of this forum and permitting me to “contribute”.

And I am not compelled to continuously call out everyone that mentions bending a rule. Its on them. If they get in trouble, its on them. If they choose to not learn the rules, its on them.
It is a god given right to learn from your own mistakes. SOMETIMES Natural selection weeds out the really dumb ones early.
Used to be that way with kids on bicycles. Now their helmets let the ones that nature use to claim back, get older and do stupider things that effect others.
So, on that line of thought, the "drone rangers" are the drone "helmets" for whatever that is worth. :D

Reactions: bbooty
As a new drone owner, I'm still trying to figure out how I'd be flying commercially if I did it for fun and gave the video away for free. Commercial LITERALLY means for compensation.

That's one definition. Another is that you're engaged in commerce. If you give your video to another entity that may benefit in some way, you're engaging in commerce.

Thats my point. Its sarcasm.
Have you not read the advice posted by all the "experts" that would lead the very literal to believe that?
EVERYONE has their own interpretation of the rules. ANY hobby rules.
Kind of like the bible, different people read different meaning.

That's one definition. Another is that you're engaged in commerce. If you give your video to another entity that may benefit in some way, you're engaging in commerce.
I would argue that "commerce" necessitates both parties receiving some benefit, otherwise it's a gift. I'm having trouble finding a way to google if a gift constitutes commerce so I can't really back that up, just my best guess based on my limited experience.

I would argue that "commerce" necessitates both parties receiving some benefit, otherwise it's a gift. I'm having trouble finding a way to google if a gift constitutes commerce so I can't really back that up, just my best guess based on my limited experience.
It is not really an issue anyway. The 107's dont want anyone else doing what they have paid extra to do.
Do you really think you are EVER going to get into trouble for doing something like donating a video of a city parade so the city can post it on their tourist website? NO! Only if a cranky local 107 guy turns you in cause he thinks they would have paid him $50 to do it for them.

Reactions: GringoLoco
It is not really an issue anyway. The 107's dont want anyone else doing what they have paid extra to do.
Do you really think you are EVER going to get into trouble for doing something like donating a video of a city parade so the city can post it on their tourist website? NO! Only if a cranky local 107 guy turns you in cause he thinks they would have paid him $50 to do it for them.
Lol I'm not at all worried about it.

As a 107 guy, I really don't give a rat's putoot if money is exchanged or not. At this point in time, I simply believe the OP was looking for validation for his decision. After reviewing pro's and con's on the issue the OP should be able to put on his big boy pants, lace up his boots and make his own decision. If he is in the good, that is great, press on. Has the OP attempted to ask anyone within the FAA? I would like o know their response. I would like to believe they would be the resident experts as, after all, they make the flight rules/laws. I am not an expert and thusly do enjoy learning from this exchange as well. I only hope whatever decision the OP makes, that it be the right one.

not-sure-if-its-six-of-one-or-half-dozen-of-the-other.jpg

As a 107 guy, I really don't give a rat's putoot if money is exchanged or not. At this point in time, I simply believe the OP was looking for validation for his decision. After reviewing pro's and con's on the issue the OP should be able to put on his big boy pants, lace up his boots and make his own decision. If he is in the good, that is great, press on. Has the OP attempted to ask anyone within the FAA? I would like o know their response. I would like to believe they would be the resident experts as, after all, they make the flight rules/laws. I am not an expert and thusly do enjoy learning from this exchange as well. I only hope whatever decision the OP makes, that it be the right one.

not-sure-if-its-six-of-one-or-half-dozen-of-the-other.jpg
As a hobby pilot. and registered, I can say with conviction, that the hobby 336 registration is a joke, and solely about the fee's and knowing who owns drones. I say this because YES there is material to read that explains it. Vague, often confusing text. BUT, when you register, there is no quiz of 5 major things you should take from those texts before you can register... There is not even so much as a box to check to acknowledge you read it.
Seems like a joke.
On the other hand, Part 107, requires MORE money, and a test. For what? Doing what 336 users do and collecting money? Often with MORE restriction than the 336 pilots? Is that what the FAA is about? whether we can make money in the sky or not? They should only control airspace not income.

In the UK, you do not need ‘CAA’ approval, ie drone license or commercial operators permission to post footage to social media, YouTube included. That is 100% law.

You sound like one of the guys who wants to fence in the entire sky for only those who are making money.

No. Money is part of it or better yet Business. We are walking on eggshells people. Just trying to do what WE have to do to stay safe and as legal as we can. Its the right thing to do. Trust me I have had people turn us in to the FAA for questionable flights, years back where we were in the beginnings of Drone Aerial imaging. Had to prove 2 letters from the FAA we were right and the complainants were wrong. We also have a contact with our local FSDO that we bounce questions to. Last question was on a new TFR in our area that shows on Airmap, but not on B4UFly. So which app is right? Answer: Use both and the more restrictive parts of each. Airmap has the LAANC system, B4UFly dont. Lots of questions legal operators have. The illegal operators dont even bother with these variables. So its not fencing for money, its trying to stay "IN IT" and be safe, make some money (which we paid a LOT for), and let people enjoy what we do. :)

As a new drone owner, I'm still trying to figure out how I'd be flying commercially if I did it for fun and gave the video away for free. Commercial LITERALLY means for compensation. I don't work for free, so it's recreational/hobby whether the FAA chooses to acknowledge it or not. I'm not saying that's the way the law is, I'm saying the FAA has taken liberties with the English language, and apparently we're okay with it.

Well if a company is using it they are liable because they are using an unlicensed operator to generate media for their financial gain. UNDERSTAND, its not easy getting caught, but when you or they do because of a jealous, competitor or one that believes in a level playing field you will be remembered. Your not hidden anymore, trust me I know...:)

We have been advised, even flying as a hobby and posting any imaging is commercial. Monies are generated by likes and shares on you tube or Facebook.

You better have a disaster plan as well as probably a waiver or 2.
Who specifically has advised this?

You have to do what you have to in life. We chose to do it the way we feel comfortable so we don’t have to look over our shoulder and be concerned how invasive media can be and used against us.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine