DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying over streams and rivers ?

LbinNC

Reactions
I know there has been some chatter about issues this the vision sensors flying over water....

I am going to photograph some local waterfalls and was thinking of taking the mini but not sure if it will be an issue flying over the rushing water...

Thoughts ?

I know there has been some chatter about issues this the vision sensors flying over water....

I am going to photograph some local waterfalls and was thinking of taking the mini but not sure if it will be an issue flying over the rushing water...

Thoughts ?
Think you’ll have no worries if you maintain 30’ plus above the high end of the falls.

Thoughts ?

Not a vision sensor issue, but I saw a video on YouTube that showed a Mini flying along a river and it lost signal. The Mini executed a RTH, but he hadn't set the RTH height before takeoff. He found it, and the video recorded on the card showed it fly directly into a tree. I know setting RTH height should always be a part of preflight, but that video really brings it home.

Reactions: GreyFalcon
Flew our Mavic Mini over a lake no issues, just kept it at 50 feet or higher. See our YouTube channel for the footage.

Not a vision sensor issue, but I saw a video on YouTube that showed a Mini flying along a river and it lost signal. The Mini executed a RTH, but he hadn't set the RTH height before takeoff. He found it, and the video recorded on the card showed it fly directly into a tree. I know setting RTH height should always be a part of preflight, but that video really brings it home.
if it’s the same video we saw it was Pilot error. They guy flew too far away for the wi-fi to keep the signal then hadn’t set the RTH height to clear the trees. Remember you are supposed to keep the drone in line of sight which he clearly didn’t do

Thoughts ?
Make sure you have insurance. DJI is extremely bad if you lose your drone even if it can be demonstrated that it was not the fault of the pilot.

I've seen that video and something similar happened to me. I live in out in open farm country, except the homes in the area have a lot trees. I was flying over the road at 100 ft and lost signal and picture at just over a 1/4 mile away. I'm guessing it was because of trees between the controller and the mini. Mini went into RTH and once it cleared the tree line, picture and signal returned. I then flew over an open field out back and got out to 1 mile with no issues.

Make sure you have insurance. DJI is extremely bad if you lose your drone even if it can be demonstrated that it was not the fault of the pilot.

I have the DJI insurance, and it is covered under my camera policy.

i will be in VLOS the entire time, my concern was fooling the vision system with moving water

With something new like the Mavic Mini, absolutely get insurance.
But there was a case of the DJI Spark developing lots of YAW errors and flying away.
When DJI saw that evidence in the flight logs, DJI would replace without having the lost craft.

Thoughts ?
I fly over water often. So far no problems. I have over 110 miles on my mini and at least half of that is over water. I worry about hitting a bird while flying over water.
One of my water flights

The only thing to look out for is the "VPS dip".
That is when the vision sensors get confused because of the reflective surface and decides to take a swim.
Just keep a close eye on the craft when flying close to water and be ready to pull up at the first sign of trouble.

Reactions: Capt KO and LbinNC
I fly over water often. So far no problems. I have over 110 miles on my mini and at least half of that is over water. I worry about hitting a bird while flying over water

Here is one of my water flights
While flying in fog my Mini’s bottom sensor got confused and went into confirmed landing a few times when I never asked it to land. The video’s look interesting in fog but not good for the Mini.

The only thing to look out for is the "VPS dip".
That is when the vision sensors get confused because of the reflective surface and decides to take a swim.
Just keep a close eye on the craft when flying close to water and be ready to pull up at the first sign of trouble.
I recently flew over a shallow river and this was the only issue I encountered while flying close to the flow. other than that it was solid, even down in the steep valley with no satellites.

I just got back from vacation in Anguilla and I flew my mini out to sea only a few feet above the surface with no issues.
Just curious, did you have it in sport Mode?

I know lots of pilots fly over water and get some pretty great stuff video wise. I also know many crash and burn in water. I’ve had a couple of times I’ve gone out over a lake and it’s been somewhat disorienting doing it. So I try to stay very close to shore. I’ve also been lucky so far that in the 2 years I’ve been flying, I’ve only had one fly away. It was my P3SE and a corn field. Took almost an hour to find it but I got lucky, that time anyway. So for me caution is a wise choice. I also don’t know if I trust the Mini yet. I was leaning toward the Skydio 2 but a few big totals have shown up on YouTube lately. I’ll be buying again in Spring and hopefully prices will come back down and I’ll get a M2Zoom. I really like it and would go well with my Spark and Air. I wish you much success over Water and hope you’ll share with us. Happy New Year All!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat