DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying over streams and rivers ?

Flying over water is simple and safe. Just Stay alert and watch your altitude at all times, especially on your device. I used to say, stay over 15 feet above the water until it happened recently at 20 feet . When it's confused it will slowly drop, mostly in hover mode. Just tap your up stick to stop it dropping temporarily. Flying over water is awesome, you will love it. Just don't panic and try not to hit RTH

My first flying experience as a Newbie 4 years ago occurred flying over water. The droned stopped over the middle of a lake due to Obstacle Avoidance. Say what? - an obstacle in the middle of a lake? Turns out water reflection fooled the Mavic sensors. Reading through the various drone forums I never saw anything about that issue at that time. I was simply too new to even turn them off and was simply stunned being so new. My wife said I should have flown backwards, others said I should have turned off the obstacle avoidance, and others had other suggestions. Again, I was just too new to fully understand and access what was going on. I flew back across the other side of the lake and took the long route of following the shoreline home and landing with just 7% power. WHEW! I then printed a screen finder for every app on the Mavic so I knew where to find things like turning off the obstacle avoidance or clearing cache.

Last edited:
Didn't have any issues flying my Mavic Air over a river in cold weather. Bright day light and suntset flights. I wouldn't try to fly too low in low light conditions. Check out the video, which was shot two separate days.

I know there has been some chatter about issues this the vision sensors flying over water....

I am going to photograph some local waterfalls and was thinking of taking the mini but not sure if it will be an issue flying over the rushing water...

Thoughts ?
I fly over the ocean, 3 ft above the waves, with sensors on, no problems

Yep. Expect his when flying below the tallest object and out of VLOS. Owner was lucky to find the drone.

When my video starts to cut out, I immediately increase the elevation. Sometimes I get better signal, but mostly i'm just buying time until the video comes back in again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis