DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Permissions in Restricted Airspace

Reactions
Has anyone ever gained permissions from an airfield / airport to fly in their FRZ or ATZ? I envisage them just flexing their muscles and being all jobsworthy. I'm thinking more local airfields such as Cumbernauld, Perth, Oban, etc. Also the military low-fly zone of the West Highlands.

I would suggest that any pilot flying <400' AGL over my local country park has bigger problems than hitting my drone!

"I would suggest that any pilot flying <400' AGL over my local country park has bigger problems than hitting my drone!" like Ben Nevis perhaps ........just kidding

You can get them. I would suspect at a minimum you'd need to be a PfCO with active insurance to prove competence though.

If its a tiny airstrip with 2 movements a week then theres no harm in calling them to ask.

Note the low fly corridor is not a restriction zone - you can fly there. ATZs arent no-fly zones.

I obtained permission once a few years ago to fly in the valley bottom near my home, which put me (then) in the major Airport's ATZ near where I live. I contacted the Airport Controller and had to submit a flight plan showing take off point and time. Intended flight path, terminal height. Also I had to notify ATC when I had finished. Plus giving all my details inc mobile phone number so they could warn me of unsheduled air traffic proximity. Oh and provide evidence of my insurance. I only did it once and decided not to fly there.

When flying at caravan near Prestwick Airport, I have to email ATSwatch manager to ask for permission, then they email me back, then have to phone them 30 min before flight, and when I finish, have never been refused.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan