DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic Air indoors ?

I fly indoors all the time, the confined spaces helps with the AC control, as others have said make it as bright as possible to allow the vision systems to work, helps with the stable hovering.
I turn off the obstacle avoidance and put on the prop guards. I really like trying doing spirals up through the stairs and fly through rooms and around furniture.
With the prop guards on it's quite difficult to crash as you bounce off things unless you hit the ceiling or have a compass interference problem.

You obviously don't fly in sport mode or use gesture controls and boomerang doesn't work that well unless you have a ballroom

Tripod mode requires GPS, otherwise it will go into ATTI mode

Does it now? I haven't tested it but the blurb indicates that while in Tripod mode it will still use the optical sensors for avoidance... assumptions on me!

Does it now? I haven't tested it but the blurb indicates that while in Tripod mode it will still use the optical sensors for avoidance... assumptions on me!

Strictly speaking your correct, but in practice I have found the switch over to ATTI happens almost immediately due to the darker indoors, I think the flying areas need to be extremely bright to avoid this.
tripod mode.png

Reactions: synaesthesia
Nice. I'll remove my post, don't want to be responsible for anybody crashing :p

AIUI, the Mavic Air has a better non-GPS visual positioning system than the Mavic Pro, so is actually better for indoor use. Care needed over plain, undifferentiated surfaces, and always best to use a prop guard, as others have recommended.

I have flown indoors a lot and it’s just a little unstable make sure you have a lot of light though it drifted when it was dark

I’ve been flying in my house for two days since receiving my Air because the weather has been bad outdoors. But I have flown drones before indoors, and there are some extra considerations.

Turning off obstacle avoidance is a must in my house or the Air really won’t go anywhere (everything is too close). However, the app still beeps at me continuously even though I am flying without obstacle avoidance turned on. Does anyone know how to turn this off other than muting my phone?

I also used the prop guards. This is a must unless you want broken props or broken items in your house (and walls).

I also set the behavior for lost signal to “Hover” just in case. Technically if it loses signal close by it should do that or land anyway but just in case the home point gets messed up, you don’t want it trying to fly up and away.

The vision system works great with just the lights on in the house! It’s a great indoor flying drone!

I flew mine in my house last night due to bad weather and didn’t use the prop guards like an idiot and we will say tapped the wall from it drifting now I don’t care about my walls but thankfully my drone didn’t take any damage but it was scary :(

I flew mine in my house last night due to bad weather and didn’t use the prop guards like an idiot and we will say tapped the wall from it drifting now I don’t care about my walls but thankfully my drone didn’t take any damage but it was scary :(

Sadly, I did exactly the same thing last night. I wish it would stop raining in the UK. And stop being windy. Also, don't snow when either of the other two things aren't happening. Thanks.

I fly indoors commercially and have eliminated the problem of being in Atti mode by using one of these New GPS Signal Repeater Transfer Full Kit Distance 15 Meter | eBay well worth the money if you need it. A repeater effectively provided full GPS signal (16 Satellites) in hangers, auditoriums, ect. just like flying outdoors. All DJI drones will remain in GPS mode during indoor flight. Just place the RX portion outside, run the cable inside and place the TX indoors. I have even used it in my basement 8' underground with no problem.

it is no problem flying in door in Opti mode, just enough lights is needed. Also, you should learn how to fly in ATTI mode or manual, Best to learn is cheap Hubsan X4 H107 for just $24 from amazon. Here Pano from garage (bigger than a regular room), take off manually, it slowly take off and hoover in like 4 feet. DJI_0008

Last edited:
My cousin laughed it in my office. I didn't let him fly it, however it did stay in the air hovering for about 10-15 seconds and everything looked fine to me. It didn't really do anything unusual.

for the record my office is located in building made out of wood and we were no more than 10 feet away form the window.

I flew mine indoor at our green screen studio, large enough (26' ceiling and 3000sq ft) and learning how to use it right, what i noticed is the apas doesn't work 100% when trying to fly by me... I've also tried it at my house (15x15 space) and it just hover and can't move when obstacle avoidance is on. it's fun, but limited what I can do around here. Going to drive 45 mins south Sunday to play outdoor (finally 47 degrees sunny without snow or rain).

Its really a no-no. The Mavic Pro can actually reacquire GPS satellites while indoors (through a window usually) and during the switch from the ATTI mode to GPS mode there have been reported that the Mavic Pro will wander briefly as it attempts to determine its position. It is during those times that erratic flight characteristics have been noted by forum members.

It's true. This happened to my MA just 30mins ago, and it crashed into a wall (and the floor). :(

To prevent this from happening again (since there's no place I can fly nearby whatsoever), besides wrapping the back of MA to avoid GPS signals, are there other ways?

Last edited:
i can only fly indoor at my studio due to the fact i'm less than a mile away from the airport and there are too many powers around here. my MA switches between ATTI to GPS and never had any issue, just don't press or try the RTH option as the drone will fly up to 100ft before descending, and always use propellers to be safe. no issue so far, just few it in my office that is 10x10 lol no issue just can't move anywhere without the beeping. lol

I fly indoors commercially and have eliminated the problem of being in Atti mode by using one of these New GPS Signal Repeater Transfer Full Kit Distance 15 Meter | eBay well worth the money if you need it. A repeater effectively provided full GPS signal (16 Satellites) in hangers, auditoriums, ect. just like flying outdoors. All DJI drones will remain in GPS mode during indoor flight. Just place the RX portion outside, run the cable inside and place the TX indoors. I have even used it in my basement 8' underground with no problem.

Hi, if I use a GPS signal repeater indoor, does it mean I can do waypoint flying indoor , assuming mavic air has waypoint flying one day? Or the GPS signal repeater is only good for getting a GPS lock but doesn't have enough resolution for waypoint flying?

Thanks.

Hi, if I use a GPS signal repeater indoor, does it mean I can do waypoint flying indoor , assuming mavic air has waypoint flying one day? Or the GPS signal repeater is only good for getting a GPS lock but doesn't have enough resolution for waypoint flying?

Thanks.
It provides GPS lock for stabilization and precise hover/flying, you still have to watch for any compass errors and it may still switch to Atti due to compass error.

Could someone write a schematic summary with the best setting for an indoor flying with Mavic Air

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stug26