DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic Mini over people & anywhere I want (Sofia, Bulgaria)

There are so many ways things can go wrong. Overhead wires -not visible from the ground. Winter trees with no leaves that are not detected. Faulty battery, etc. I just won't fly over people -ever.

I flew last night -remote area. I had just charged all 3 batteries. Except that #1 took off with about a 30% charge. I don't know how that happed. Suddenly I was down to 25% & fading fast. Fortunately I the bird was still close, and I landed manually without incident. But if auto RTH was initiated, that bird may well have fallen from 400' up.

So as others have suggested, in the absence of local rules, we still should be guided by common courtesy/sense, & caution. I try not to make enemies of our passion. Technology can put a lot of power in consumer's hands. It is our responsibility to put other's safety & pease of mind ABOVE our own interests. Respectfully submitted.

Reactions: Akward59
There are so many ways things can go wrong.....

I flew last night -remote area. I had just charged all 3 batteries. Except that #1 took off with about a 30% charge. I don't know how that happed. Suddenly I was down to 25% & fading fast. Fortunately I the bird was still close, and I landed manually without incident. But if auto RTH was initiated, that bird may well have fallen from 400' up.

So as others have suggested...
Did you check that battery for swelling when you removed it. Your described scenario is exactly what happened when I had a battery failing... after landing checked it and had a slight swelling... now retired from flight of course.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Hello guys...

As you all know and see by the title I'm from Sofia, Bulgaria and I own a Mavic Mini which I really really love to fly every single day! I got my Mavic Mini for Christmas and ever since the 1.0.4 update I'm super happy with the lil baby drone! Here in Bulgaria I've been flying my Mavic Mini literally everywhere! The worst thing which has happened to me was when I was flying downstairs in front of my work office building, the security came and said to land immediately! When I asked why, what am I doing wrong, he just said: "Land immediately..." - I said NO, I will not land until you tell me why!

He says, screaming: "I work here, land the drone now!!!" -> so I said, also screaming: "I also work here bro, and now it's my lunch time and I like to chill and fly during lunch - so go away!!!" He just went away to call for backup, his security buddies. I flew the rest of my battery all sweetly and went back upstairs to work. Security never came back!

Oh yeah and there was my one neighbor which the one night when I was flying outside at like 23:30 he pops his head out the window and says: "what time you planning to fly until", I say: "another hour at the least hey" - just to [Language removed by Admin], flew for 15 mins and went to bed! The Mavic Mini is a very quiet lil drone, if you're in a building you certainly cannot hear it outside unless its near a window.

I love to Fly everywhere! Obviously I fly responsibly, I will not fly in such a way to deliberately harm someone or to endanger people! The worst thing I do is that I fly over people, but the drone is like at least a few meter above them - never at their level. It's not very difficult to separate right from wrong - do we really need so many rules and regulations!?

Its amazing how many stupid rules and regulations have come out in the last few years because of drones! I'm totally amazed at how the drone pilots are just allowing the so called authority to walk all over them and take advantage! We are not stupid - obviously we'll not fly and cause danger to others with a lil Mavic Mini or anything else for that matter. Only stupid, irresponsible people might do something dangerous - but any normal person would know what not to do when!

I know that there are rules and regulations for drones in Bulgaria, but I don't think anyone follows them! I've never even read them once. I've been flying 3D helicopters for over 4 years, and never had any problems with flying over people and flying in crowded places. This is why I love to fly in my home country so very much - and it is also very beautiful the nature in Bulgaria - can't wait to take the Mavic Mini to the mountains, will be epic!

I see people flying in the parks, in the car parking lots, in some sweet places! I'll take care to read the rules now actually, as I've never red them ever for my country and be back with a post about it here.

I really love to fly my beloved Mavic Mini so very hectically much hey - today after work I'll makes the sweetest 2.7K , 30fps video of me chasing my cat inside my lil penthouse. :)

So have you guys ever been in trouble for flying your drone in Bulgaria? How about in your home country - if not Bulgaria?
Please dont chase your cat around with your little Mavic Mini, he could get hurt - lose an eye or something....

I read through all the posts here in response to the thread.
I suspect the Sofia member deliberately wrote, rewrote and posted exactly to get the reaction that indeed followed. Totally tongue in cheek as some say.

The Mini has drawn criticism from many owners, so I will pass on buying one, let alone talk about flying it over people, or even over rats and snakes. In Bulgaria. Yes, I know about Sunny Beach in Varna...

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for sharing your view anyway [language auto-removed]
---- ---- ---- ---------- ------ ---------- ------
------ ------ ---. ----- ----- ------ --------- -------, ------- ------- ---------- ----- --------- ------- ---.

m80's advocating freedom of speech.

Owning 3 different drones I have seen some verbal diarrhoea in my time regarding the rules in Bulgaria. It's the comments made makes it bad for dedicated drones. From the UK and having a CAA licence (amen).

The rules are made for safety to others let's keep to them and not let the bozo,s spoil it for all the responsible droners

The ONLY point you make here is that YOU ARE A SELF RIGHTEOUS kind of guy.

Oh....and that you like conflict.

If you watch YouTube you cannot escape revolting: everybody absolutely everybody whether registered or not ignore flight rules, especially dumb reviewers. They ignore everything: flying over cities, over people, over streets, near power lines, ignore multiple warning for interference, fly behind objects, power limit reached, strong wind warning....

Let's just stick to the manual... there's no need to register than fly like an (deleted by mod). Manual says: high wind warning, land your aircraft as soon as possible. I think it's sensible to do so...

I really love to fly my beloved Mavic Mini so very hectically much hey - today after work I'll makes the sweetest 2.7K , 30fps video of me chasing my cat inside my lil penthouse. :)

So have you guys ever been in trouble for flying your drone in Bulgaria? How about in your home country - if not Bulgaria?

Your behavior will make your community dislike drones and cause them to write rules that will ruin it for everyone else. Congrats.

It’s situations like this is why there are rules in the first place

I fly with the concern that someone will compline and make it so I can not fly at all

please for all of us don’t [make anyone angry] (edit by admin)

Having flown drones over 4 years now and abided by CAA rules it's time to drop this attitude I feel you may have. Please have a lovely day last point CAA does rule, will ignore future correspondence keep smiling

I read through all the posts here in response to the thread.
I suspect the Sofia member deliberately wrote, rewrote and posted exactly to get the reaction that indeed followed. Totally tongue in cheek as some say.

The Mini has drawn criticism from many owners, so I will pass on buying one, let alone talk about flying it over people, or even over rats and snakes. In Bulgaria. Yes, I know about Sunny Beach in Varna...

Sunny Beach is not in Varna, it's in Burgas! Yeah I see our Sofia colleague here was just trying to irritate you guys that we have no written rules here in Bulgaria and can fly even bigger drones without registration. That's all. About the fact that we all have to be really careful and responsible no matter where we're flying - I'm pretty sure he knows that, right Ivan?

Well, I am sorry for having Ivan leaving, I guess that he could just apologized, promised to change and things were good in the end.

As we are neighbors (in countries) and as we have similar relaxed laws here in Romania, I would love to keep them as they are for now, as the restrictions that are in the rest of EU (France, Spain, Germany, UK) are just prohibiting flying in the vicinity of pretty much every major attraction, or sometimes even where there are none. It's clear that something will change or has to change rather sooner than later, and I am anxiously waiting for July when the EU rules will get in effect to see how we are impacted.

I also see the discussion in US, where there is some huge controversy about the FAA remote ID.

Well, I am sorry for having Ivan leaving, I guess that he could just apologized, promised to change and things were good in the end.

As we are neighbors (in countries) and as we have similar relaxed laws here in Romania, I would love to keep them as they are for now, as the restrictions that are in the rest of EU (France, Spain, Germany, UK) are just prohibiting flying in the vicinity of pretty much every major attraction, or sometimes even where there are none. It's clear that something will change or has to change rather sooner than later, and I am anxiously waiting for July when the EU rules will get in effect to see how we are impacted.

I also see the discussion in US, where there is some huge controversy about the FAA remote ID.

Yes I also feel quite bad for making Ivan leave - even though I wasn't involved in chasing him away! I though we're supposed to be supporting each other here, such a nice Mavic community. :) Everyone seems so friendly and so nice so far. Its strange & weird that Ivan said that he would never endanger anyone or their property - he said that flying is OK as long as you don't disturb anyone and keep everyone and their property safe. I'm not sticking up for him because I'm also from Bulgaria - but I honestly think that he was just trying to say that its simple to fly in Bulgaria, even the bigger drones, as long as you fly safe and not irritate or endanger others.

Remote ID in US is just something they will need for sure, as they already have drone delivery services in action. Not sure about their other rules that go with Remote ID - hopefully its not all these rules and regulations that are making people(mavic pilots) so mean in general.

I think it would have been cool if we all tried to understand Ivan and others like him better - instead of just chasing them away. This way we're kinda ruining the hobby for Ivan - instead of having our support he gets "chased away" - I'm sure he was just looking to share his excitement of flying his Mini!

Ivan, would you like to fly together, as we're both in Sofia, Bulgaria? That would be really nice - to have a flying buddy....

Reactions: netsonic
I just tried to get in contact with Ivan, and I think he has deleted his Profile/Account! When I click on his Icon as to send him a PM I get a message saying "Ooops we ran into some problems", "This user's profile is not available."!

Whatever their intention, someone who deliberately sets out to post contentious irresponsible content even if tongue in cheek (which I doubt) is what many would describe as a "hot head" who teamed up with a drone is not potentially a great combination.

He could always remove his membership and re-join under a different persona and behave sensibly and would then be most welcome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78