DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through old Iron Bridge

Morning Folks,
I have a Mavic air and was wondering if there would be problems or concerns about flying around and through an Old Iron Bridge??
Thanks, so much,
TK in Tn
Expect to see compass problems resulting in extreme flight deviations. I’ve done this on an iron bridge and had to land immediately to avoid a crash. I had been shooting all around it without problems, even venturing under it, but when I tried to fly through the bridge length wise... my Mavic Pro started veering right and it would not respond to my sticks other than to land. I was able to use the landed perspective for an opening shot at least.. but I was seriously scared by that wacky flight.

Reactions: Brojon
I tried the same thing with my Mavic Pro and lost partial control. It was acting very erratic, not responsive to the controls, and I was glad to finally get it out without losing it in the river. Never again will I fly through a steel girder bridge - but over it - yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpbluzharp
I'm sure the drone doesn't just lose connection when you fly under bridges it just drops into no GPS mode and if it is dark then into attitude mode .
I still would not chance it.

Copied from a previous post. Use SEARCH at top right
Actually I had my Mavic went under a bridge and it then shot straight up into the bottom then down into the mud.
Not advised.

Morning Folks,
I have a Mavic air and was wondering if there would be problems or concerns about flying around and through an Old Iron Bridge??
Thanks, so much,
TK in Tn

This reminds me of the Chain of Rocks Bridge that stretches between MO and IL

The photographer/cinematographer inside me totally understands the appeal of that kind of shot. Going under or "inside" things really enhances the impression of flying and that you really are at the control of a 3D camera. However, all that was said previously is good advice. Calculated risk is the key, here. There are heavy metallic structures nearby, which means interference is possible. I scrapped many good shots in the name of caution. Losing a shot is always preferable to the risk of crashing.

Also, I thought maybe an "emergency" button could be made of either C1 or C2, at the back of the controller? I'm not familiar with all the options you can assign to these.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk