Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through trees.

itsneedtokno

I'm chillin, appreciate it though.
Reactions
Site
codyshoaf.myportfolio.com
I heard somewhere (on YouTube I think), that if you see something on the screen, say along the two vertical edges, and are tracking forward between the two objects... You should pass right between them.
Is this true?

Something about the wide FOV or something. I don't really know, and it's really difficult to put in to question.

I'm looking for the vid

EDIT: It was NOT this video

But it was a video explaining how to take "fly through shots like kold"...? Again, it's hazy

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavrick77
My guess is, he is flying in sport mode on those fly through shots. The more you fly in tight spaces, the easier it is to get accustomed to the wide view effect.

You will have some crashes and such, which is why I practiced right flying in my carbon fiber racing drones and not my Mavic Air. Even with my practice of gate flying, I'm not sure I would try all the shots he did in that video without have a DJI sponsorship.

Here's my best answer. Set your drone on a table and place objects a foot ahead and on the side of it until they are barely in frame. This will tell you how far things are from your drone as you pass.

Or better yet, hold it in your hand and walk towards a window or something that will give you a sense of dimension. A lot of people risk their drones flying too close.

Last edited:
Here's my best answer. Set your drone on a table and place objects a foot ahead and on the side of it until they are barely in frame. This will tell you how far things are from your drone as you pass.

Or better yet, hold it in your hand and walk towards a window or something that will give you a sense of dimension. A lot of people risk their drones flying too close.
I can't believe I never thought about this...

thumbswayup

That’s the same basic routine we do with all camera markings for field of view. Even for stage etc. Whose in view of camera and whose not. The other thing I recommend is also running the space forward. In other words use those a foot etc ahead as well as further out so that you start visualising the space earlier and then have it lined up smoother for when it’s make or break time. Should help with less adjustments that will show in footage. Good luck.

That’s the same basic routine we do with all camera markings for field of view. Even for stage etc. Whose in view of camera and whose not. The other thing I recommend is also running the space forward. In other words use those a foot etc ahead as well as further out so that you start visualising the space earlier and then have it lined up smoother for when it’s make or break time. Should help with less adjustments that will show in footage. Good luck.

Yep, you could stand back however far you want and walk ahead. If you are good, you'll be able to get a sense of the above and below distances as well.

Reactions: Inspirephil
I heard somewhere (on YouTube I think), that if you see something on the screen, say along the two vertical edges, and are tracking forward between the two objects... You should pass right between them.
Is this true?

Something about the wide FOV or something. I don't really know, and it's really difficult to put in to question.

I'm looking for the vid

But it was a video explaining how to take "fly through shots like kold"...? Again, it's hazy
Amazing footage

Yep, you could stand back however far you want and walk ahead. If you are good, you'll be able to get a sense of the above and below distances as well.
Lon, great suggestions. Never thought of the first idea and am having a problem understanding the second idea. Would you elaborate a little more on it and application?

I've been told that you should set the Go 4 display so that you are seeing the 4 grid-lines that divide the screen vertically and horizontally into 1/3'rds - If you then keep the 'air' in the centre box clear, you'll then have space above, below and to each side to get the drone through ... In other words, if you fly toward a tree, and a hanging branch appears inside that centre box on the Go 4 screen, you'll either hit it, or stop due to collision-avoid kicking in.
It also helps alot with photography, because using the 'rule of thirds' (e.g. put the horizon 1/3 of the way down the screen), makes for the best photo's.

Is this true?

I'm looking for the vid

There are a few shots in that video that clearly show why so many people are falling tragically from dangerous points on cliffs and rocky mountains..all in the name of wowing us with footage or stills. I know its your life but...

Reactions: Wave Oglesby
There are a few shots in that video that clearly show why so many people are falling tragically from dangerous points on cliffs and rocky mountains..all in the name of wowing us with footage or stills. I know its your life but...
People have died falling from cliffs since forever. It's called an adrenaline rush, and they don't do it for the shots... but the fact that we get to see things from their perspective (without having to risk life and limb), is one of the major draws to droning IMHO.

Look up free-climbing (Nat Geo just made a movie about it)
People are idiots, but what can you do.

People have died falling from cliffs since forever. It's called an adrenaline rush, and they don't do it for the shots... but the fact that we get to see things from their perspective (without having to risk life and limb), is one of the major draws to droning IMHO.

Look up free-climbing (Nat Geo just made a movie about it)
People are idiots, but what can you do.
Watch Free Solo on Amazon Prime, that guy is nuts!

Lon, great suggestions. Never thought of the first idea and am having a problem understanding the second idea. Would you elaborate a little more on it and application?

Okay, another guy touched on this but to put it very simply, walk up to a brick wall to about 1' away and note the number of bricks/blocks shown-left, right, up and down. Compare that to your drone. Grid lines are also a great way to accomplish this and is how the "pros" get those shots. It's all relative and judgement based. It's like playing Tetris.

Here's a VERY BORING video I shot to get some pieces for a study I was doing and posted part of it as an editing test. In any case, at about 1:50 I do a fly by that looks close but I'm actually 5'+ above the structure. By the time I was approx 1' away from it, it was completely out of frame.

Trust me, skip to 1:50....ZZZZzzzzzzzz......

i looked down on the circular high bar table landing one leg edged over at ledge.
could be it lateral'd who knows

is it already accomplished descent inside close diametered piping?
software do it?

Note that such "calibrations" will be thrown off with gimbal tilt or zoom.

Here in flatland Florida, I use this guide for height clearance. If potential obstacles near me are below the distant horizon, I should clear them. Even with distant trees generating some error in horizon, the error is sufficiently small to not be a problem.
Now if you have varying terrain, that probably won't work.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav