DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through tunnels....

Your a man after my own heart . I spent a lot of hours trying to capture the videos below with my MA-2. You are correct in assuming that it is possible to fly in the tunnel without GPS but you will be in ATTI mode . My experience doing this is that your drone will act like a helium balloon. It will drift sideways unless your apply deliberate forward motion with the sticks .Slow but steady is my advice and land when you have travelled the required distance . It wont hover and will drift due to the slightest breeze or even its own downwash .This is caused both by the lack of gps, and the darkness ,causing the downward vision (responsible for stable hovering) system not to function.
Also like flying at night the lack of light will render the collision sensors useless so be prepared like me to sacrifice a couple of sets of propellors . I had no issues with connectivity inside the tunnels but be very very gentle with the stick inputs.

Just wondering what the soundtrack is you're using. Very nice. Is it available for free?

Just wondering what the soundtrack is you're using. Very nice. Is it available for free?
Greetings . Its from the Movie - Intouchables - great film if you haven't seen it. You can rip it from you tube using YoutubetoMp3 or similar from here

Best Regards From Ireland

Your a man after my own heart . I spent a lot of hours trying to capture the videos below with my MA-2. You are correct in assuming that it is possible to fly in the tunnel without GPS but you will be in ATTI mode . My experience doing this is that your drone will act like a helium balloon. It will drift sideways unless your apply deliberate forward motion with the sticks .Slow but steady is my advice and land when you have travelled the required distance . It wont hover and will drift due to the slightest breeze or even its own downwash .This is caused both by the lack of gps, and the darkness ,causing the downward vision (responsible for stable hovering) system not to function.
Also like flying at night the lack of light will render the collision sensors useless so be prepared like me to sacrifice a couple of sets of propellors . I had no issues with connectivity inside the tunnels but be very very gentle with the stick inputs.

Dude. Those are beautiful videos, and apparently you live in a land of tunnels! :)

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Has anyone had experience of flying or attempting to fly through tunnels... in particular disused railway tunnels...? An attempt was made and it responded and flew fine until after about 30m away when it failed to respond correctly and all it could do was drift sideways when trying to fly forward (in fact it clipped the tunnel wall). I had complete line of sight of it and as said was only 30m away. I tried disabling collision avoidance and got same effect. Obvioulsy it didn't have any GPS signal, but can't they fly indoors where GPS would be lacking too, or is it complete lack of GPS is where the issue is, and is there anyway round it? There's not much I can find on operating in tunnels, maybe I have answered my own question (lol)!
Did this yesterday , might be of interest to you

Reactions: Lecheeb and MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929