DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through tunnels....

Geez, those videos make my palms sweat just watching them. Don’t think I’d have the nerves to fly my expensive toy into that situation without actually being inside with a clear line of sight and even then it would be very slow going...

Can you manually go in to ATTI? I haven’t seen that setting but would be cool to practice.

All went well until about 3/4 the way through the tunnel when it slowed down on its own for a split second, producing a noticable jerk in the video. Two attempts with the same results, so I called it quits after the second one and moved on to shooting other things.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Nice video. That’s a long tunnel, and looks like there’s more to it.

I’ve been contemplating flying thru an underpass of a 4 lane road that traverses a shallow stream. After seeing this video, it would appear that I have little to worry about.

Thanks for testing the limits, and posting the results.

Reactions: TyCool
Nice video. That’s a long tunnel, and looks like there’s more to it.

I’ve been contemplating flying thru an underpass of a 4 lane road that traverses a shallow stream. After seeing this video, it would appear that I have little to worry about.

Thanks for testing the limits, and posting the results.
mid done at speed a 4-6 lane overpass bridge has never been a problem in my experience.

Reactions: NottsJules
Has anyone had experience of flying or attempting to fly through tunnels... in particular disused railway tunnels...? An attempt was made and it responded and flew fine until after about 30m away when it failed to respond correctly and all it could do was drift sideways when trying to fly forward (in fact it clipped the tunnel wall). I had complete line of sight of it and as said was only 30m away. I tried disabling collision avoidance and got same effect. Obvioulsy it didn't have any GPS signal, but can't they fly indoors where GPS would be lacking too, or is it complete lack of GPS is where the issue is, and is there anyway round it? There's not much I can find on operating in tunnels, maybe I have answered my own question (lol)!
Probably lost GPS signal

Your a man after my own heart . I spent a lot of hours trying to capture the videos below with my MA-2. You are correct in assuming that it is possible to fly in the tunnel without GPS but you will be in ATTI mode . My experience doing this is that your drone will act like a helium balloon. It will drift sideways unless your apply deliberate forward motion with the sticks .Slow but steady is my advice and land when you have travelled the required distance . It wont hover and will drift due to the slightest breeze or even its own downwash .This is caused both by the lack of gps, and the darkness ,causing the downward vision (responsible for stable hovering) system not to function.
Also like flying at night the lack of light will render the collision sensors useless so be prepared like me to sacrifice a couple of sets of propellors . I had no issues with connectivity inside the tunnels but be very very gentle with the stick inputs.

Really enjoyed that footage
Well done to you!
Was it shot in the UK

planes-2013-09.jpg

Reactions: tiwag
App should tell you if it has lost GPS and VPS.

There's no native way to set to ATTI on command. The M1/M2 can have the S/P/T mode switch reprogrammed to use Sport or Tripod mode as ATTI. You need a certain version of Assistant to do it.

You can cover the GPS receiver with aluminum and cover VPS sensors to force ATTI, but you won't have a way to regain stabilization in flight.

Reactions: NottsJules
What possible benefit can a flight through a tunnel be? 1 it’s dark2 the camera cannot be used3 you have limited control with the added benefit of four new props if the system or you screwup5 assuming you make it, what exactly have you proved
GPS didn’t work underground and the magnetic gradient from roof reinforcement plays havoc with any internal compass bearing.
I would suggest a flashlight and a Go Pro would be far easier and potentially a lot cheaper!

What possible benefit can a flight through a tunnel be?

1. It may be your job.

2. To ensure it is safe to pursue further on foot.

3. To test the limits of your equipment.

4. Because you can...and have the b@ll$ to do so!

I flew twice through Kelmarsh tunnel,.which is an old disused railway tunnel.
Yes i had the under belly led light on and had to fly with sticks, it builds confidence too and looking back im glad I did it.
However the video didn't work when I tried to replay it, but its logged the flight on airdata uav.

What possible benefit can a flight through a tunnel be? 1 it’s dark2 the camera cannot be used3 you have limited control with the added benefit of four new props if the system or you screwup5 assuming you make it, what exactly have you proved
GPS didn’t work underground and the magnetic gradient from roof reinforcement plays havoc with any internal compass bearing.
I would suggest a flashlight and a Go Pro would be far easier and potentially a lot cheaper!
Have you seen these tunnels these days?

You did want me to drop in.

Has anyone had experience of flying or attempting to fly through tunnels... in particular disused railway tunnels...? An attempt was made and it responded and flew fine until after about 30m away when it failed to respond correctly and all it could do was drift sideways when trying to fly forward (in fact it clipped the tunnel wall). I had complete line of sight of it and as said was only 30m away. I tried disabling collision avoidance and got same effect. Obvioulsy it didn't have any GPS signal, but can't they fly indoors where GPS would be lacking too, or is it complete lack of GPS is where the issue is, and is there anyway round it? There's not much I can find on operating in tunnels, maybe I have answered my own question (lol)!
Did you turn on the bottom light while flying in the dark tunnel? When the drone goes into ATTI it will try to use VPS to position but if it's low light then it will just drift... (don't ask me how I know or how much fingers hurt when trying to keep it off the wall of your hallway.. ). You should be able to fly through the tunnel with the bottom light on and in ATTI. It may still drift. I would be sure to set it so if you lose connection the drone will just hover rather than RTH. And if it senses anything front or rear just stop. Adding more lights may be helpful too.

It would land if it in the unlikely event it lost connection to the controller , as RTH not a option as there's no gps . The bottom light came on automatically and worked well at times .Problem was , the ground was wet dirt and mud in places and it didn't have enough contrast for the system to work , especially if above 3 feet .In dryer sections where the ballast was still in place and dry it was a lot better , as it could distinguish the ground easier . The collision sensors are disabled in low light conditions and as for adding extra lights , by the time you find something to light up the tunnel effectively , its probably too big and heavy to attach to the drone. What worked for me was taking off in the centre between the walls and appyling effective forward motion , guiding the drone towards the light of the mouth of the tunnel , ie from the inside out . Flying in from the outside beyond 50 feet would be suicidal .

Did you turn on the bottom light while flying in the dark tunnel? When the drone goes into ATTI it will try to use VPS to position but if it's low light then it will just drift... (don't ask me how I know or how much fingers hurt when trying to keep it off the wall of your hallway.. ). You should be able to fly through the tunnel with the bottom light on and in ATTI. It may still drift. I would be sure to set it so if you lose connection the drone will just hover rather than RTH. And if it senses anything front or rear just stop. Adding more lights may be helpful too.
ATTI and VPS are mutually exclusive. You get into ATTI when you don't have GPS and situation doesn't lend itself to VPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair