DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying thru an arch, tunnel, etc.

Without horizontal position holding that GPS gives, nothing will prevent the drone from drifting.
Forcing the drone to ignore left/right control inputs wouldn't be any help and could cause a crash by preventing corrective measures when they might be needed.
Got it and agree.

Prop guards are sometimes a good idea, especially when you can't fully control the direction of the drone.

I would absolutely recommend this when flying through anything with walls and any significant distance. Unfortunately I speak from experience here.

Here's the link to my first complete flight of the Kessel Run!

It's a very long vid, about 10 minutes, but I wanted to retain the full footage of my trip through the Northwest Passage, the tree tunnel right off of my back deck. Very slow, very gradual, checking status a number of times. Even though the trip is only about 50 ft long, it took up 5 out of the total 15 minute flight time.

I wasn't interested in a trip to the Drone Hospital!

Anyway, I hope you find it useful and/or entertaining.

:)

TCS

A lot of good advice above - as well as watching out for dangling things that can get caught in the props, you need to keep enough distance from the roof that the air draw from above the props doesn't pull your drone into the roof, it's probably only an issue in very tight spaces though.

[...] you need to keep enough distance from the roof that the air draw from above the props doesn't pull your drone into the roof, it's probably only an issue in very tight spaces though.
One of the dumber things I've ever done...

Our house has a high cathedral ceiling, giving lots of room for indoor practise flights. There's a round window at one end, and a matching round mirror in the wall at this end. It made for an interesting photo.

MavicMini-Self-Portrait.jpg

While buzzing around up there, I had the bright idea of using my Mini to take a look at just how much dust had accumulated on top of the blades on that ceiling fan. Ewwww, gross. That was a mistake. It would have been better never to have seen that. I'd need to rent and erect a scaffolding to reach that high anyway to clean the fan blades.

However, while hovering above the height of the fan blades, the downwash from the Mini's props started the ceiling fan to slowly rotate. As one fan blade passed underneath the Mini, the Mini's downward sensors suddenly detected something within 2' below it, automatically causing the Mini to climb, whereupon it pasted itself against the ceiling!

Luckily I wasn't dumb enough to have omitted the prop guards for this flight. I pulled the throttle stick back, the Mini dropped from the ceiling, bounced off a couple of ceiling fan blades, tumbled a short distance, and then fully recovered to hover short of crashing to the floor with no damage at all.

Phew. Tough little bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone