DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying to Dubai next April

UsmanQ123

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be flying to Dubai from Maldives for my honeymoon and have just purchased the DJI Mavic Zoom.

Unfortunately I've been reading that drones are not allowed in Dubai unless registered - however the process for tourists isn't straight forward.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of taking their drone to Dubai or even flying it and how you managed to get it registered.

Many thanks!

Reactions: Jaycee
Hi Usman.
I can't answer your question I#m afraid, but I would like to know the answer regarding the desert outside Dubai.

I contacted the relevant authorities in Dubai and was told politely but very firmly: Don't even think about it! Your drone will be confiscated at the airport. Here's the reply:

Thank you for contacting the GCAA.

Please be advised that we will not be able to assist you in this opportunity as the registration of unmanned aircraft and consequently operation of it may be allowed to UAE nationals and national foreigners that hold UAE residence visa. Foreign Nationals that have no UAE residence visa are not allowed to operate UAS unless an especial approval is obtained (UAE-based organization with granted security clearance).

Also, please be advised that is prohibited to take photography and video while operating drone in the UAE. For further information regarding operation and registration of drones in the UAE, please refer to the GCAA website.

Your drone may be retained by customs upon arrival at your airport of entry. To learn about the rules applicable to travelers with drones please contact the airport directly.

For commercial/experimental drone inquiries, kindly liaise with Ms. Asma or Ms. Shaima on [email protected] or 04 2111 657 ;[email protected] or 04 2111 639 from the GCAA, they will be glad to assist you with.

Kind regards,

Aircraft Registry Unit

That doesn't say your drone 'will' be confiscated. Thats very strong language.
The letter says 'maybe' retained.
FYI I have been travelling in and out of the UAE both Dubai and Abu Dhabi with my drone in checked luggage with no issues at all. Checked luggage is x-rayed in the baggage areas before reaching the claim areas. If there is something serious they will retain the luggage and inform you or have it opened by you at the exit point where you go through the customs again through nothing to declare or goods to declare. Drone doesn't have to be declared to customs. You are not allowed legally to fly it in UAE without GCAA registration which is only available to UAE nationals and expat residents.

This is the latest as of today from the UAE GCAA drone user manual

UNMANNED AIRCRAFT/DRONE USER MANUAL

● Your Drone must be registered before conducting any flying activities.
● Drone registered under your name is your responsibility.
● All UAE laws and regulations must be followed while operating the Drone.
● Manufacturers Operating manual must be followed for safe operation.
● Drone operations only allowed within the flying zones, not exceeding 400ft above sea level
● With no exceptions, No Drones are allowed to be operated near aircrafts, airports & helicopter landing sites.
● Also, Drone operation is not allowed above individuals, public and private & public properties or in a way which may endanger individuals or their properties.
● Ensure your Drone is operating within your line of sight. You must immediately land your Drone if you see or hear any aircraft or helicopter.
● Drone users are strictly prohibited from breaching others privacy. Failure to comply will lead to penalties stipulated in UAE law.
● Camera usage is only allowed in the flying zones. Drone users must not violate relevant UAE laws while using the camera.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett