DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying using RED (interference-full) channels!!!

Does this mean that if the drone chooses 2.4ghz all by itself in auto, its better than if I manually choose a 2.4 channel. And why can the thing change by itself but not allow us to also choose while in flight.
it should be better as auto can switch when the channel used becomes unavailable, if you have selected it manually it will simply lose connection, probably you have to select a different channel manually, but i don't think this will be very usable in the long run

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
it should be better as auto can switch when the channel used becomes unavailable, if you have selected it manually it will simply lose connection, probably you have to select a different channel manually, but i don't think this will be very usable in the long run

I tried, in Manual it does not allow me to change while In Flight. So I guess Auto is better. But Manual can be used I guess when you go out to the desert and like only one or 2 channels of the 2.4 band are red and unavailable, or rather unusable.

I flew yesterday with the FCC Hack, my CE mini reached like so high up in the sky, I could not hear nor see it! I flew less than 90m away from my appartment and then 150m high up! The view of Sofia from 150m above my place looks beautiful!

The flight lasted about 9 minutes and I came back with a battery of 55% or something. There was a bit of wind up there, I could hear the Mini fighting it on the way up while I could still hear it. The thing is its so small that even if you can actually see it you probably just can't find it in the sky. But I love flying my Mini very much so, I feel like a real pilot in command!

Before I take off from inside my apartment and fly through the balcony door, my heart like starts pumping faster, my pupils dilate a bit as everything becomes brighter, sounds intensify and sometimes my hands even shake a tiny little bit! But then when I take off and reach the phase where I can't see nor hear the lil fella, then I just get lost and zoomed into the screen! Keeping a constant eye on my flight instruments, making sure the Mini is flying absolutely perfectly as I expect it to be. And it does hey, the lil machine really does, it went up to 150m over Sofia and I did like one pirouette just to look around, then I flew back down, visually mostly from the drone's view - and finally flew back inside my sitting room. A fully successful flight and I noticed that I was actually flying almost exactly above this building with lots and lots of interference, so this is why at just over 150m I got one or two Weak Signal warnings, to adjust my antenna or so, I adjusted it and the errors went away.

So I've really concluded to myself now that this FCC Hack, given how really simple it is for us Android users, is absolutely awesome and really does help out with some extra distance and also signal quality. I think I'll just get myself some of those Parabolic Reflectors that they have for the antennas and use those in combination with the FCC Hack for when flying in the City.

PS: The Mini is the best little flier that exists - I say this because I have it! lol

cool cool

Reactions: Khayman
here is me flying 150m above Sofia...

FCC Hacked of course, else that's the building I''m talking about with the heavy Wi-Fi interference, the one that you see as I fly out the balcony right ahead.

cool cool,

Hi Guys,

I done the FCC hack, but my Mini always use 2.4 channels in Auto mode. But I can’t change it to 5.8 also mannually. How can I do this? Please help me!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I done the FCC hack, but my Mini always use 2.4 channels in Auto mode. But I can’t change it to 5.8 also mannually. How can I do this? Please help me!

Bro if your Mini is using 2.4ghz in Auto then this is PERFECT!!! I wish my Mini would Automatically choose a 2.4ghz channel. The 2.4ghz channels give you about 2.5km range! The 5.8ghz channels give you 500m distance(without FCC Hack) & (1km with the FCC Hack) - BUT this FCC Hack is only for the 5.8ghz channels, so it does nothing to the 2.4ghz ones.

What I'm saying here is that if your Mini is choosing 2.4ghz channels automatically, then that is really the best you'll get out of it! No need to switch to 5.8ghz manually, because even with the FCC Hack you'll get about 1km. All this is without other interference, like if you go to the forest or desert or a huge field with no other signals around.

I flew to 200m above my City and I started to spin the drone around to take a video of Sofia from 200m above. When I started turning I LOST CONNECTION, and I was using the FCC Hack. Without it I wouldn't even get to the 200m altitude here in the city.

cool cool

Reactions: harmatz
Bro if your Mini is using 2.4ghz in Auto then this is PERFECT!!! I wish my Mini would Automatically choose a 2.4ghz channel. The 2.4ghz channels give you about 2.5km range! The 5.8ghz channels give you 500m distance(without FCC Hack) & (1km with the FCC Hack) - BUT this FCC Hack is only for the 5.8ghz channels, so it does nothing to the 2.4ghz ones.

What I'm saying here is that if your Mini is choosing 2.4ghz channels automatically, then that is really the best you'll get out of it! No need to switch to 5.8ghz manually, because even with the FCC Hack you'll get about 1km. All this is without other interference, like if you go to the forest or desert or a huge field with no other signals around.

I flew to 200m above my City and I started to spin the drone around to take a video of Sofia from 200m above. When I started turning I LOST CONNECTION, and I was using the FCC Hack. Without it I wouldn't even get to the 200m altitude here in the city.

cool cool

well even the 5.8 is not very reliable - yesterday i got a lost connection at roughly 300 m away from me with direct LOS and height at least 50 m and no tree or obstacles in between and this with the FCC hack, and this in a part of the city with no tall buildings nor that much wifi pollution, as i were on a hill in a more rural area with farms...so unfortunately wifi is a hit or miss, you just hope you won't lose connection with obstacles on the RTH path or it won't coincide with losing GPS :)...and in my case is even worse as samsung phones crash when drone loses connection due to DJI Fly app issue, so beside losing connection you lose the ability to have flight visuals and video feed and you are left to RC only when drone regains connectivity and approaches Home point(actually even worse as beside that DJI Fly got reset and i had to add my account and agree to terms from scratch) ...so even more fun :D

well even the 5.8 is not very reliable - yesterday i got a lost connection at roughly 300 m away from me with direct LOS and height at least 50 m and no tree or obstacles in between and this with the FCC hack, and this in a part of the city with no tall buildings nor that much wifi pollution, as i were on a hill in a more rural area with farms...so unfortunately wifi is a hit or miss, you just hope you won't lose connection with obstacles on the RTH path or it won't coincide with losing GPS :)...and in my case is even worse as samsung phones crash when drone loses connection due to DJI Fly app issue, so beside losing connection you lose the ability to have flight visuals and video feed and you are left to RC only when drone regains connectivity and approaches Home point(actually even worse as beside that DJI Fly got reset and i had to add my account and agree to terms from scratch) ...so even more fun :D

Yes I also fly in my city ONLY WITH THE FCC HACK!

Like I said, a few days ago when I was doing my 200m above Sofia, there was no problems at all, solid video all the way up to 200m. Then I started doing a piro and just lost connection at once! It quickly came back as RTH was initiated, but it was scary, my first loosing signal ever! But my point here is that I was up 200m, I had my antenna correctly positioned, and there was nothing between me and the drone! It was FCC Hacked, and still it lost connection at 200m high and about 60m distance from my balcony!

I've come accustomed to find that interference is a terrible thing! I think that for the a densely Wi-Fi packed area, even the 5.8ghz is not usable for more than about 200m to 300m, without the FCC Hack it would be a funny result - but I might as well try it, not FCC Hacked and see how far I can fly in the City. I already know that it will be a short distance flight.

cool cool

PS: I'm thinking of just buying me another Mavic Mini, just this time I'll buy myself the FCC version and have the best transmission DJI offers for the Mini - but that is expensive as a solution and not sure how I'd order e an FCC version Mini.

Yes I also fly in my city ONLY WITH THE FCC HACK!

Like I said, a few days ago when I was doing my 200m above Sofia, there was no problems at all, solid video all the way up to 200m. Then I started doing a piro and just lost connection at once! It quickly came back as RTH was initiated, but it was scary, my first loosing signal ever! But my point here is that I was up 200m, I had my antenna correctly positioned, and there was nothing between me and the drone! It was FCC Hacked, and still it lost connection at 200m high and about 60m distance from my balcony!

I've come accustomed to find that interference is a terrible thing! I think that for the a densely Wi-Fi packed area, even the 5.8ghz is not usable for more than about 200m to 300m, without the FCC Hack it would be a funny result - but I might as well try it, not FCC Hacked and see how far I can fly in the City. I already know that it will be a short distance flight.

cool cool

PS: I'm thinking of just buying me another Mavic Mini, just this time I'll buy myself the FCC version and have the best transmission DJI offers for the Mini - but that is expensive as a solution and not sure how I'd order e an FCC version Mini.

Well for Sofia and your neighbourhood i think it is a safe bet it is really densely covered with wifi signals and transmissions, also there are embassies close by and all kind of government buildings that might interfere signals, not to mention you have a lot of buildings around and trees which very easily can scramble connection, so unless you are outside i don't think it can be very reliable...

buying the us version is not advisable - while you lose the DJI Refresh, also warranty will be useless, so if anything happens it is just money in the wind and not to mention it is practically against the law in Europe - while in Bulgaria it might not be controlled that much as of yet, you never know, and anywhere else you'll be limited to not use the full power unless you want to risk some consequences ....

Well for Sofia and your neighbourhood i think it is a safe bet it is really densely covered with wifi signals and transmissions, also there are embassies close by and all kind of government buildings that might interfere signals, not to mention you have a lot of buildings around and trees which very easily can scramble connection, so unless you are outside i don't think it can be very reliable...

buying the us version is not advisable - while you lose the DJI Refresh, also warranty will be useless, so if anything happens it is just money in the wind and not to mention it is practically against the law in Europe - while in Bulgaria it might not be controlled that much as of yet, you never know, and anywhere else you'll be limited to not use the full power unless you want to risk some consequences ....

To be honest I really haven't even come close to crashing my drone, but you never know hey. I'd rather have my warranty and Care Refresh.

Although what will DJI think of me FCC Hacking the drone, they will know from the logs for sure, will my warranty and or Care Refresh work then?

cool cool

cool cool
Thank you very much! I'm rookie in this filed, so your comment is very helpful for me! Thanks a lot again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead