DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with 3-blades proppelrar

I believe it to be more thrust from a given propellor 'diameter' but at the cost of efficiency.
But, quite a few posts in similar threads suggest that DJI optimise the motor performance for their stock propellors, I do not know if this is true but ....
Then there is the question of how good is the quality of the, presumably, after market propellors, especially where there is such a significant change in configuration.

I have a set that i use on windy days but i don,t use them if i don,t need to be out there there slower but in the winds if you are going straight into it it does maintain a descent speed ,Can,t be good for the motors ( just observation )

Pro and Con
And what do you want to achieve by using tri-blades ?

On FPV quads you change props according to purpose & desired flight behavior ... then re-tune (adjust the PID values) the quad according to chosen props (weight, pitch & #blades) to regain a proper step response. With a Mavic you can't re-tune anything (you can't even do that with the new DJI FPV quad), it will most probably fly much worse than with the original props (but you will not see it as the camera gimbal will disguise it).

If you want a quad to have more "bite" in the turns you go for more blades &/or higher pitch to a certain degree ... another benefit with more blades is that it usually will be more quiet. The down side to all this is efficiency ... turning more blades through the air will usually mean a higher combined air resistance ... meaning a higher amp draw.

If you look at FPV quads designated to long range flying they all have bi-blade props for efficiency. Freestyle or Racing quads all have as a minimum tri-blades for turn bite & acceleration. A Mavic is clearly no Freestyle or Racing drone ... it a long ranger which need efficiency in order to prolong the flight times.

So no ... for a Mavic it's nothing to gain by moving over to tri-blades, it will fly worse as you can't re-tune the craft & they will drain your battery quicker.

I believe it to be more thrust from a given propellor 'diameter' but at the cost of efficiency.
More thrust ... only at the same motor speed
But the flight controller would vary motor speed to keep the performance close to specifications.
But, quite a few posts in similar threads suggest that DJI optimise the motor performance for their stock propellors, I do not know if this is true but ....
DJI's propulsion engineers build a tuned propulsion system by matching the motors, ESCs and propellers for optimum performance.

Reactions: umanbean
Thanks to my flying MavicPilot colleagues for your posts on this topic.

This is my view on the matter:

My way of flying my M2P as often as possible (rainy days I have stopped flying, both I and my drone dislike rain) means that I am served by good lifting power in my drone, in addition to my usual flying, I spend a couple of hours per week to practice Trick flight (for that purpose bought me a FIMI X8, which is even more fun to fly than M2P, when it comes to Trick flight.)

Bought a double set of three-bladed carbon fiber propellers with the same blade profile as the 8743F MAVIC 2.

Have now flown about 130 flights with these propellers, (my total flying experience is now over 3000 flights) my drone is always equipped with a certain extra PayLoad in the form of my custom-made LG, and I can see the following differences from corresponding 2-blade propellers:

- Drones more stable
- Lifting power better
- Measured flight speed in the three flight mode:
- T-Mode 1.7 m / s
- P-Mode 14 m / s
- S-Mode 20 m / s.

In other words, no reduced flight speed can be considered, I fly 4 batteries each time and my batteries have a charging history that varies from about 40 for my newest to about 275 for my oldest. If I expose my batteries to strong power outages, it is negligible during my approximately 1.5 hours of daily flight.

To summarize:

I will not use 2-blade propellers anymore, my transition to 3-blade is permanent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123