DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with bats

In the first clip, did the stream of bats drift towards the drone or did you fly the drone into the steam of bats?

That’s some big bats 😀

Interesting! I have not seen bats fly in flocks like that. Well done!

Interesting! I have not seen bats fly in flocks like that. Well done!
You'll love this......
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I have seen clips, probably BBC "Life" or "Planet Earth" etc. footage, where you'd think you were looking at HUGE Starling murmurations, breath taking footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Nice job. I say follow them to wherever they are going and, when they're done eating, that will be the place with the fewest mosquitos!

I have not seen bats fly in flocks like that.
Those are some big bats I am surprises they are out so early.

While they are big bats (mega-bats) they are similar to smaller species, but these are flying foxes (aka fruit bats) here in Oz, and are quite different.

They do flock in HUGE numbers, and cause quite a lot of damage in suburbs where they often live, their droppings are hugely damaging and hard to clean off (ask my brother in SE Queensland !).

They don't use sonar like smaller species, just rely on hearing and sight like we do.
In flight this makes it easier for them to hit things, each other etc.

I've visited the Naracoorte caves in the SE area of my state, the bat cave there is famous, smaller sonar equipped bats swarm out right on total darkness, fast and erratic and in such number you can hardly see through the mass of them.
Their sonar sense is astounding.

A thermal video found on YouTube . . .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@Mavricbird nice capture, sometimes we get a bit of an unexpected capture when flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xtoro101